Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 May 22, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

I have had lots of upgrades at home and abroad over the years but have never asked for one. I do generally email ahead and tell them we are celebrating a birthday or anniversary (only if this is the case) and could they allocate a room with a better view if possible.

My friend treated me to an all inclusive trip to Costa Rica a few years ago. I emailed the hotel and explained that she was treating me and if I could arrange some flowers, fizz and chocolates in the room. It cost me $100. When we checked in, they gave us the presidential suite, two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and 3 living rooms with a huge jacuzzi in the middle. They said they wanted to treat my friend for treating me! That was the biggest upgrade I have ever had but I would never go expecting one.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

We’ve never been given an upgrade, in fact we went to NYC with friends for my 50th birthday and our friends got upgraded to a Times Square view and we got nothing!
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Another free upgrade I got, which just happened without asking. I was flying from Dublin to LAX via Heathrow with Aer Lingus / BA. Again as a solo traveller, I had booked premium economy from the BA Heathrow to LAX flight. I checked in at Dublin and was given the two boarding passes. When I got to Heathrow and went to board, my boarding pass wouldnt scan and the gate staff reprinted it. When it was reprinted, the gate staff said I had been upgraded to business.

Again I knew it was the airline allocating seats. There are only a small number of premium economy seats and that morning when people started checking in at Heathrow they must have realised they were overbooked. So it was easier to move me a solo passenger to business to free up a seat in over booked premium economy.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Belle99
VIP Dibber

We’ve been upgraded a good few times - I always email the hotel with a room request. Tell them how excited we are to be staying with them etc.
2 notable upgrades have been at WDW - AKL and BC from a standard room to a 2 bedroom suite in both cases. Always worth a shot. But as others have said don’t ask for an upgrade.
Belle99 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We got a free upgrade from a studio to a one bedroom suite at Saratoga Springs. The check in CM asked if I’d stayed there before and I said a couple of times. She just handed me a room key card and said to enjoy my stay. I didn’t know about the upgrade until I got in the room. Plus, not free but DD and me got a double upgrade at Caesar’s Palace by putting a $20 bill in our passport and enquiring if there were any upgrades available.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

In vegas we used to put a $20/$50 bill between the passport and credit card when asked what it was for we said it’s for you sometimes it’s handed back other times it had just disappeared we had success with MGM Wynn, Tropicana, Luxor, Imperial Palace and Mirage, we failed at Excalibur, Paris, Ballys
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyGuy85
Earning More Ears

In March at HRH Orlando I was unexpectedly upgraded for free to the Graceland Suite hands down greatest holiday experience of my life. Something I'll never forget and so thankful
DisneyGuy85 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

We got upgraded from a standard room to a 3 bedroom Suite in Dubai last October. I had emailed to ask that there be 3 separate beds in the room as I had my teenage son and daughter sharing a room with us. I didn’t ask for an upgrade of any sorts though, so it was a nice surprise.
Katnic1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by juless77 View Post
Not in Florida but Greece friends of ours recently went and first time there a package holiday with jet 2 standard twin room they got a free upgraded to a suite as they checked in ….the suite was £12000 for the week if they had paid a £10000 difference …wow .We have stayed there before so am wondering whether to be cheeky and email ahead and say something like... any free upgrades we will be willing... just wondered how you would word it ? if you don't ask you might not get lol
As others have said if you ask it's a sure fire way not to get.

I generally get upgraded most times I stay in a hotel, but that is part of an elaborate strategy that you don't have time to implement. (Basically I only stay in Marriott owned properties and as - according to my Marriott profile - I have now spent 1348 nights in Marriott's in my life so I tend to get upgrades)

The only real way to get a better room is:

1) pay for it
2) be well known to the hotel/chain
3) get lucky

Asking (unless they really take a shine to you - and that works best when you are travelling solo, young and good looking) rarely gets you anything...
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 22, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We got upgraded in the Hardrock Orlando from a bog standard to a 2 bedroom suite with lots of toys in the kids room. I never asked, but was simply offered it.

I am guessing that were I a receptionist, the sure way to not get a free upgrade would be to ask for one.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:37 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List