Day 4 - Epcot and Via Napoli

Day 5 - Pool morning, Downtown Disney and California Grill

Day 6 - Universal Studios

Day 7 - Drinks around the world and Le Cellier

Day 8 - Hollywood Studios and the Hollywood Brown Derby

Day 9 - Girls/Boys Day, Downtown Disney and Raglan Road

Day 10 - Islands of Adventure and Bubba Gump

Day 11 - Animal Kingdom and Teppan Edo

Replenished by eleven hours sleep, water and Diet Coke, I felt absolutely fine the next morning for our adventures in Animal Kingdom. I was actually really happy and excited to be going to Animal Kingdom. Neil had never been, so it was all very new for him. Expedition Everest was a fabulous rollercoaster, there was the new Lion King theatre to have a nosy at and I actually found myself really excited about going on the Dinosaur ride as it had broken down the last time we went.

We arrived and did the obligatory Photopass pictures.

Going through to Africa for our first Fastpass on the Safari, we ended up seeing a little of the African drummers

I was pleased going on the safari that they have finally ditched the Big Red, Little Red rubbish. It was just never needed in the first place and the stuff on poaching always felt a little lecturing. Yes, we know it’s bad but we don’t do it, so please let us just see the animals, okay?

Our safari, even though our guide had the most annoying voice in the world, was absolutely fantastic. A highlight had to be the fact that we saw both a Black and White Rhino. The White Rhino walked right past our vehicle. It was just amazing. I was actually a little perturbed by how close it was, most of the animals you see at a distance! We also saw a lioness, giraffes, elephants, warthogs, hippos, crocs. Just everything. And so many of them came really close. I would definitely recommend doing the safari in the morning. There just seemed to be so many animals about!

After this, we headed for the Pangani Forest Trail and scored again with animals.

Before heading over to Asia to do the Maharajah Jungle Trek. The Tigers were a bit quiet this time, maybe it was just too hot for them? We had a look at the wait time for Kali River Rapids but the queue was 40 minutes and it would have made us late for Everest.

So that was where we headed next. Expedition Everest. Finally Debsy Do agreed to do her first rollercoaster since Space Mountain, after having missed out all of the big ones at IOA and on Rock N Rollercoaster! I really do like Everest, it’s just brilliant. Our ride picture...

I just love Sam’s face on all of the ride pictures. Hilarious.

While we were on Everest, Mum and Uncle Mark had ventured to do what Uncle Mark termed the Starbucks ride. Har har! Jessies the both of them. After Everest, we were all getting a bit hot and sticky so it was time to get wet. The queue time on Kali River Rapids was only 15 minutes and it wasn’t even that in reality, we basically walked onto it.

Now on previous trips, we had remembered that on the Kali River Rapids, there were only two seats that got a bit wet. The rest of them just got a few splashes here and there. Nothing anywhere near as bad as Popeye. Well, I think they’ve changed it because we all got absolutely drenched. I didn’t remember the big drop at the end – have they always had that? – This was made worse by the fact that the ride broke down for a spell and we were just held there, at the top, on the edge, for about ten minutes, just looking at the doom that was to come.

How wet we all were:

Again, because of the nature of the ride, the circular raft, this was a really fun ride for us all to ride in a big group!

After this, we were all ready for some lunch so we headed for the highly Dibb recommended – Flame Tree BBQ. It did not disappoint. Given that I had had barely anything to eat the previous day, I absolutely devoured this meal. I had the Chicken and Rib Combo

Everyone else really enjoyed theirs, with the exception of Mum who ordered the salad. Rookie error as she said it had a Chinese style dressing which she didn’t like. Should have ordered the ribs! I must say though, when you have such a massive lunch, there really is no need for dessert!

After dinner, it was time to call in our Fastpass for Dinosaur so we headed over to Dinoland USA. Slightly bad timing as I knew that Dinosaur did throw you about quite a bit but there wasn’t really anything we could do about it.

We all actually loved this ride. I think it was because we hadn’t been on it for so long so everything on it seemed quite new and exciting. The dinosaurs were really realistic and frightening and it was really fast with quite a few more dips than I remembered last time. We all, to our surprise, declared that we preferred it to Jurassic Park this time. Isn’t it strange how your enjoyment of rides differs from year to year?

After Dinosaur, we headed on the Primeval Whirl, which was pretty much a walk on and was a lot of fun.

After this point, we decided to separate again. Neil was starting to struggle with his feet (something which became a bigger problem as the holiday went on) so we decided to get an ice cream and sit down near Africa and wait for the Lion King show. While the rest of the gang headed to meet some characters and have a wander by the shops.

On our way into Africa that morning, I’d clocked a Haagen Daaz stand so we made good use of that during this break!

And we all met up to watch the amazing Lion King show. I haven’t got any pictures, as I always want to just enjoy it as opposed to look back at pictures that never do justice to the actual performance. The show is no different than what it was before. The theatre is much bigger though but with exactly the same circular lay out.

This show always has us all in bits because of our special family memories from previous visits and that day was no different. It was particularly rewarding for me to watch Neil watch this show, absolutely mesmorised. It really is superb.

After Lion King, and after discovering with some sadness that ‘It’s Tough to Be A Bug!’ was closed (except on Sundays) we had a few more pictures by the Tree of Life.

Love this one!

And headed back home to CBR.

That evening, we had had big plans. We were all separating for dinner. Neil and I were headed to Teppan Edo, Mum, Martin and OB to Kouzzina and the Dufflers to Rainforest Cafe and we had planned to have an adults night on the Boardwalk, taking in Jellyrolls and maybe Atlantic Dance Hall. Sam, OB and Megan were going to go to Downtown Disney and spend some time at DisneyQuest.

The first problem when we left CBR for the evening was, once again, the rain. The bus service to Epcot seemed to take forever. I felt terrible for Neil because his feet were killing him and we had to walk all the way from the Epcot entrance to Japan in the pouring rain. We were maybe ten minutes late for our ADR but they were fabulous at Teppan Edo.

We checked in and must have been sat down for a second when our pager buzzed telling us that our table was ready.

Given the nature of the dining experience at Teppan Edo, as many of you will know, you are sat at a group table. Given that Neil and I were only two, we were sat with a family of five. A Mum, Dad, older son that looked to be in his early twenties, younger son who looked maybe a bit younger than Megan and their third son, who looked maybe about sixteen or seventeen, but who was in a wheel chair and was severely disabled.

They were clearly a lovely family and the way in which the Dad dealt with the disabled son was absolutely awe-inspiring. He was very loud at times and would often shout out which must have been awful for the family – as the dining rooms are open spaces with a lot of people. Neil and I were actually quite disgusted with two women at the table opposite who kept looking over at the family and glaring at them. Like they could help it!

Given the nature of this child’s disability, it is a testament to the family that this was one of mine and Neil’s most enjoyable meals. The service was absolutely spectacular and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We both chose Steak and Shrimp. I had two beautiful glasses of a stunning Pinot Grigio and Neil had two beers.

The chef was so amazingly talented

And I took special note of the way in which she dealt with the little lad’s Shrimp allergy by cooking his meal before everyone else’s. The food was divine. The steak melted in the mouth and the Shrimp was plentiful and juicy.

Following our meal, we headed over to the Boardwalk. We had planned to meet them at about half nine outside Jellyrolls but Neil and I arrived a little early. We first headed for Kouzzina and discovered that they’d literally just left. Expecting to simply see them on the Boardwalk, we headed down to Jellyrolls but there was no sight of them.

It was then we discovered that it was $12 in to Jellyrolls. I had rather naively thought that it was just a bar so you wouldn’t have to pay to get in. Nonetheless, we paid the $12, thinking that they might already be in there.

Which they weren’t.

When we first arrived into Jellyrolls, we weren’t sure what to make of it. The duelling pianos were hammering out what was, admittedly, a rather terrible version of ‘I Love Rock and Roll.’ Our immediate reaction was thus that we had made a bit of an expensive mistake coming in there. However, I suggested that since we had paid in, we may as well get a drink and wait for them, if they were going to show up. We were early, after all.

However, after a drink and some salted popcorn, we actually started to really like it in there. It’s so different from any other bar we’d ever been in before and actually rather reminded me of some of the places we’d been in Vegas.

At half past nine, I looked outside to check for them but there was no sight of them. We concluded that they weren’t coming. A conclusion which we later found to be correct as they hadn’t wanted to pay to get in. They just went to one of the other bars on the Boardwalk while the kids still went to Disney Quest. Uncle Mark apparently did that thing he does where he pretends he’s staying at a place…. Sigh. Can’t take him anywhere.

Neil and I had a very enjoyable evening in Jellyrolls but by 11pm (we’re such party animals) we’d had enough and were ready for bed. The original plan had been for the Atlantic Dance Hall, but Neil’s feet were wrecked so a night dancing was really not on the cards! We got a taxi back from the Boardwalk to Caribbean Beach which took about five minutes (if that! ) concluding that Jellyrolls was actually a really fun place to spend an evening.

Day 12 - Princesses, World Cup Final and Citricos is here

Edited at 09:24 PM.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List