Old 3 Nov 21, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Pizza, Pasta and Prosecco - Rome October 2021 Day 2 Tuesday 26th October

Day 2 Tuesday 26th October - Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill, plus of course more pizza and pasta (but no Prosecco today)

I slept really well last night, making up for the 3 ½ hours of sleep the night before. I managed nearly 8 hours and felt much better.

The kids were both doing great at playing sleeping lions, they were not moving at all and I suspect could have laid in bed until midday if we’d let them. Eventually we managed to rouse them and head down for breakfast. This was the same as yesterday.

This morning we needed to get a covid pass for Kate. I’d read all about this on the Gov.uk website, but as you can imagine what happened in reality was not exactly the same as the website stated. It was an easy process and I'll explain below, feel free to skip this part if it is of no use/interest. You'll know when it's back to the actual trip report when you see multiple photos of the Colosseum.

Kate hadn’t been vaccinated yet as the school nurse teams haven’t made it round to her school so she needed proof of a negative test (side note – we were able to get her an appointment for the vaccine at a mass vaccine centre when we got home so she’s had her first jab now). The Gov.UK website states a negative test is valid for 48 hours – this is correct from our experience, they were meticulous at checking both the date and time of the test upon entry. However, the other thing that the website states is that when we get the negative test it would be emailed to us and we would then need to access the Italian Government website (which of course is in Italian) to enter the details, code on the certificate and generate the digital test result. I have to say that this part of it all was making me nervous as my Italian is not brilliant, in fact it is limited to a small handful of phrases. In the end the result wasn't emailed and we didn't need to enter it on the website.

Prior to the trip I researched how to get a LFT in Rome – this is super easy as you can get a test at nearly all the pharmacies for approx. 20 Euros. Some of the smaller pharmacies don’t provide LFTs, but you can easily tell which do as they have a tent outside.

We’d spotted many of these pharmacies yesterday and knew there was one at the square where we had dinner last night. So, this is where we headed after breakfast. You have to go into the pharmacy to book and pay for the test, but it can be carried out immediately if you want. They needed to see her passport to take her details and the test cost 22 Euros. They asked if we wanted a print out of the result and if they should enter the details to get the QR code. I jumped at this and was really grateful this was included. Then you take your receipt out to the tent and the test is carried out by the attendant. We were told the results would take about 15 to 20 minutes so we wandered around the square.

As you can see it was pretty gloomy this morning, it was a bit colder than yesterday and rain was predicted for later in the day.

The result was brought out just 14 minutes later. There were a few people hanging around waiting for results. The attendant called out names and gave Kate her negative result and the QR code green pass.

The whole thing was pretty easy and quick to get done. This was the only test she needed in Italy as it lasted 48 hours and our flight home was in 46 hours, so we had timed it pretty well. In order to travel on public transport or an aeroplane you need a vaccine certificate or a negative test.

Now we could start the day and I had booked the Colosseum for today through Tiqets again. We made our way to the river and crossed over the Ponte Vittorio Emanuel II bridge.

The walk to the ticket check in office was about 40 minutes. The queue was very slow moving, but finally we made it to the front. Once this check in was complete we had to walk around to the Colosseum and go through the covid pass checks and bag check (airport style security scanners).

However, this was all worth it as the Colosseum is impressive, and that's probably an understatement.

It was constructed in 508-544BC, the amphitheatre began in 71AD and it is still the largest amphitheatre in the World.

Rome had a strict class system and there were 5 levels of seating within the audience depending on your social status. It had a capacity of 80,000.

In 404AD the last gladiator fight was held as the Christian Orthodox Emperor Theodosius banned all forms of paganism and customs.

It was amazing to walk around all the different levels.

It was gone 1pm and the kids had rumbly tummy’s – of course they did! So, we found a restaurant for lunch. It had started to drizzle but it was still warm enough to eat out on the terrace and there was a big tent so we didn’t get wet. It seemed a popular place as there was only one table left which we took and they turned people away after that. I decided to order a Negroni, I love these and this was a good one!

The kids couldn’t wait for their pizzas so made a start on the bread.

The pizzas weren’t far behind. Max said he’d have rather not had the parma ham and just stuck with margherita, but he still managed to eat it all.

I had a four cheese gnocchi, which was tasty.

Dave had meatballs, we had expected these to come with pasta, but they didn’t. He liked them.

We wanted to walk around the forum and Palatine Hill after lunch, entry to this is included in the ticket price for the Colosseum. Entrance to the Colosseum had to be at the specific time stated, for us this was 11.30am, but the gardens could be done at any time.

It was still drizzly, but we had come prepared so put on our jackets and braved the weather. The covid checks had to be repeated to gain entrance and our tickets were also checked.

Palatine Hill is one of the seven hills on which Rome was founded, excavations show it was inhabited as far back as the 10th century BC.

It was the site where Romulus and Remus were nursed by a she-wolf and where Romulus began building the city in 754BC.

The Forum is in a valley that was originally marshlands, which had to be drained before they were inhabitable. Also in the Forum were markets, government buildings, shops and inns.

Despite the rain it was still good to walk around.

As we were so high up the views of the city below were spectacular.

After wandering around the hill we made our way back across the city towards The Pantheon.

The Pantheon was built as a temple to all the Roman Gods between 118AD and 125AD. It is in such good condition due to renovations in 608AD when it was converted into a church.

It had been a long day of sightseeing and it was now time to head back to the hotel and have a bit of rest.

The rain had eased off, which was good, but our feet were aching and we all wanted to sit down.

We had a short break for an hour or so before hunger took over.

When we went out for the evening it had turned torrential outside, so we made a quick dash for the nearby square with all the restaurants. We chose one on the left side and were seated outside with nearby heat lamps.

Dave and I shared a bottle of red wine this evening.

I ordered three starters for us to share. Potato croquettes and deep fried zucchini, these were both really good.

Plus a meat and cheese platter, which frankly would have been enough on it’s own with some bread. We really struggled to eat all the cheeses.

For the mains Kate had pesto pasta.

Max had lasagne.

Dave had pasta in a tomato sauce (seen opposite Max’s lasagne) and beef with parmesan, which came as a salad. He said there was a lot of beef underneath all the salad and he liked both of his dishes.

I had a mushroom risotto which I really enjoyed.

As we hadn’t had any gelato today the kids both deemed it necessary to have a dessert. Both had panna cotta, Kate’s was a tiramisu flavoured one and Max had chocolate sauce on his.

This was our most expensive meal of the trip as we had wine, starters, mains and two of us had desserts. It still only came to 120 Euros and I think that’s pretty good really. The rain was still pouring down and we thanked our lucky stars that it had not been as bad earlier on.

We made our way back to the hotel as quickly as our stuffed bellies would allow. Before heading to bed I checked out the step count for the day, 27,531 which wasn’t a surprise given we’d been out for most of the day and had walked all day long. The lengthy lunch pit stop had been needed to recharge the batteries.

Next up – day 3 Wednesday 27th October, the weather was back to blue skies and sunshine we crossed the river again and visited The Mouth of Truth, Circus Maximus and Trevi Fountain and I tried out a new cocktail, well new for me - Aperol Spritz.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Great stuff. I now need to return yet again.. now that the central part of the Colliseum is opened to visitors. It must feel amazing at ground floor level looking up and around the spectator terraces from the stage at one wnd.

As you know, I rarely mention food on my trip pies.. but am salivating whilst admiring yours.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s update!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My feet feel tired just looking at your step count! The Colosseum is just spectacular - how fantastic that you are now able to walk right through the central area (we couldn’t walk through there when I visited many many moons ago!). The testing process for Kate actually looked quite straightforward, you must have been so relieved.

That four cheese gnocchi looks divine, to be honest everything you all ordered looked fantastic. There are obviously some great restaurants around your hotel area. A brilliant day.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Great stuff. I now need to return yet again.. now that the central part of the Colliseum is opened to visitors. It must feel amazing at ground floor level looking up and around the spectator terraces from the stage at one wnd.

As you know, I rarely mention food on my trip pies.. but am salivating whilst admiring yours.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s update!
It is spectacular both looking up and looking down. It felt quite crowded to us, but when I was showing my brother the photos he said there didn't look like there were many people at all...anyway it was sort of chilling and I was thinking of all the slaves that must have been imprisoned there over the years.

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
My feet feel tired just looking at your step count! The Colosseum is just spectacular - how fantastic that you are now able to walk right through the central area (we couldn’t walk through there when I visited many many moons ago!). The testing process for Kate actually looked quite straightforward, you must have been so relieved.

That four cheese gnocchi looks divine, to be honest everything you all ordered looked fantastic. There are obviously some great restaurants around your hotel area. A brilliant day.
Yes the testing was easy really. Dave said after "what was your plan if she'd tested positive?" And I had to say I didn't really have one and I'd have just found a hotel for me and her to hold up in for a couple of weeks and he could have gone home with Max. That was the extent of my plan as I didn't think she would test positive. I guess that's a bit head in the sand, but I figured we'd just deal with it if it happened.

The food everywhere was amazing. Perhaps we are just not that discerning? Perhaps we got lucky with the restaurants we picked? Perhaps they are good at making pizza and pasta and as we didnt really venture far out of that comfort zone there wasn't much to get wrong. A bit like our pubs over here all tend to do a pretty good roast dinner...

I really want to have another charcuterie board like the one we had at this dinner restaurant, the meats and cheeses were delicious.

Edited at 06:07 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

What a step count! Fab day and your food looks delicious
Old 4 Nov 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by P&S View Post
What a step count! Fab day and your food looks delicious
It felt like more steps, I don't know if because it's cobbled streets and so very uneven footing or just we're out of shape. I was hobbling around the hotel room, as I was so stiff! On our first day in NYC we did 35,000 steps and climbed all 377 steps to go to the top of the statue of liberty. Perhaps I need to get into Some proper training for these holidays.

Old 4 Nov 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

Another really good day.

OMG the food looks divine. I'm drooling.

I'm so glad that the testing was straightforward and organised. Not what I'd expect in Italy. I say that as someone of Italian descent who has experienced painful red tape and feet dragging in Italy 😂
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 21, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

So glad you managed to have a better sleep last night.

Another fab day, you must need a break when you get home Glad you managed to get Kate's LFT test relatively easily.

The food looks amazing, I'm salivating just looking xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyMadAng View Post
Another really good day.

OMG the food looks divine. I'm drooling.

I'm so glad that the testing was straightforward and organised. Not what I'd expect in Italy. I say that as someone of Italian descent who has experienced painful red tape and feet dragging in Italy 😂
That charcuterie board was so good at dinner. Well, all the food was good! I reckon Italians can be forgiven for their red tape and feet dragging just because of the wonderful food. I was really pleased how easy the testing process was, especially as a foreigner who speaks zero Italian.

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
So glad you managed to have a better sleep last night.

Another fab day, you must need a break when you get home Glad you managed to get Kate's LFT test relatively easily.

The food looks amazing, I'm salivating just looking xx
Thank goodness I slept better! It was another full on day and the rain didn't stop us packing in loads. And of course eating lots of fantastic food.

Old 7 Nov 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

So pleased you had a better sleep. You needed all your strength for all the walking 😀

Brilliant day, your photos are incredible. Kate’s testing procedure seemed pretty straightforward too

I can’t believe you’ve not had an Aperol Spritz before, it’s one of my favourite cocktails as I had several on our trip to Venice where they were particularly good
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List