Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Return to Florida our way - 3rd – 17th December 2021 - Pre Trip Report

Pre Trip Report

Pre Travel Day

Travel Day Day 1

Day 2

Like many this is a rescheduled, rescheduled several times over from when we went into lockdown March 2020 – we were actually due to fly out to Orlando the day before, but as the FCO advice was not to travel we aborted at the 11th hour not knowing what the uncertainty would bring she we actually go. Naively we re booked for August 2020, then March 21, then May 21, then Sept 21 and finally now Dec 21 – Oh how we laugh now some 21 months later taking that rescheduled trip.

I was originally planning on doing both a trip and food report, but as our government in their infinite wisdom decided to add predeparture testing into the mix not even 24hrs after we landed on Orlando (despite categorically saying they would not the day before), we did curtail the way we ate and subsequently I am not sure our food choices are interesting enough for a stand-alone report, so I will just include what we ate in this report. I am more stunned that I was stupid enough and believed our government, and then actually surprised that they said one thing and did the complete opposite. – when will I ever learn

We have been lucky enough visit Florida many times over the years starting with taking our daughter when she was a child and the usual holidays of hitting all the parks full on in some sort of mad frenzy and military style organization to cram everything in with no time for slackers, we had the odd year interjected with travelling around Florida from the Keys up to Atlanta and other states. We had a final my big 50 blowout, which in all honesty was not great for lots of reasons, it was at this point we all agreed family trips were over for the time being.

We still like to go back to Florida each year but now have now more sedate go with the flow visits being just the two of us, we often start in the Keys as we love it down there, (OH dream place to retire), and we now generally visit more of the nature reserves/state parks and other ‘outside the park’ places – we have not retuned to Disney or universal in the past 5 years of visiting on our own. Ironically, we were planning and had booked a ‘family’ trip last year with our daughter and her boyfriend, we tried to rebook again this year, but the timings didn’t work so we have put this off until we can rebook in a later non testing/COVID times.

We always DIY booking the flights with Virgin miles and go to the same villa we have been going to for years.

Photography (see below) is a huge part of our holiday, particularly the wildlife in Florida (this report will be heavy on the wildlife photos) so if you like wildlife and different places to visit outside of the main parks, this is the report for you.

ME – 55 One of the pickiest eaters you will ever come across – I don’t really like ‘meals’, it is rare that I will have a meal in the evening at home, I tend to be more of a snacker/picker though the day. I only ever eat half a meal no matter what it is, even a sandwich, I just can’t eat much of anything at one time. I love cheese on anything, more cheese the better as far as I’m concerned. I don’t like meat, simply because I don’t like the taste, I will eat some chicken or turkey manly because it doesn’t taste of anything. I cannot eat anything hot/spicy – I wish I could but unfortunately, I seem to have an extremely low tolerance to hot/spicy food.

OH- - 53 eats almost anything and is not fussy but is overall not a cheesy creamy sauce fan. (I on the other hand would eat flip flop if it had cheese on it) likes hot spicy food, meat and meals lol, everything opposite to me! Hence why we all do our own thing at home when we want to eat.

The lights not right – OH is a keen amateur photographer and takes it very seriously, we can often be seen standing for an age setting up just the right shot and waiting, waiting, waiting for him to press the button, only for him to stop and say the lights not right and move on. – queue eye rolling from me. Will often be seen juggling his camera gear and getting into the oddest position for ‘just the right photo’.

Airport Hotel:

Normally when we fly out of Heathrow, we stay at the Crowne Plaza, but this was not available this time, it was closed/not taking booking – not sure if it is maybe a Red list quarantine hotel?

We then booked the Holiday Inn Both Road – OH is and IHG member so we booked using points. A few weeks later we had a cancellation email saying this hotel was now closed/not taking bookings, no reason given and all that seemed to be available for our date was the Holiday Inn Sipson Road, so we booked that. A couple of weeks later we get another cancellation saying now this one is closed/not taking bookings, so again we looked to rebook. The Holiday Inn Bath Road had now become available again, but to avoid jinxing it we decided on the Staybridge attached/next door to the Holiday Inn. It was a good choice and although the Crowne Plaza has aways been our go to place before we are now converted to the Staybridge going forward.

Flights:

Flying with Virgin, we always stick with Virgin due to airmiles, I am pretty sure they are all much of a muchness, but we have always been able to get flights with airmiles (even when we used to go in the school holidays) so will stick with them until this is no longer viable. I appreciate they are not a favourite of everyone and also that not everyone has had good experiences with them, but I can hand on heart say we have never had anu issue with them, yes we have had delays, and the odd minor issue but nothing to stop us using them .. yet!

Food:

Generally, our food choices and eating habits are not what you would call gastronomy. Due to my fussiness food is fuel nothing more, nothing less. We eat out some of the time, take packed lunches out with us and have meals in the villa either buying from the supermarket or in more recent years getting a ‘to go’ meal from a restaurant. Massive pet hate of mine is warm/cold food if it is meant to be hot, more often than not food is not served hot enough in a restaurant, so I like to take it back to the villa where I can nuke it. We don’t particularly eat out very much at home as I can never decide what to eat – much to OH annoyance and frustration.

Accommodation:

We always stay in the same 3 bed villa in Tuscan Hills, (US27) it has always suited us well, it started with the three of us when our daughter (now 27) used to come with us. Being the two of us now a smallish 3 bed villa is just what we need. It is also close to Berry Town Centre and not far from Walmart, Target, Margaritaville and all the restaurants on the US192.

Car Hire:

Each time we go we like to get a different car and this time we have gone for one of my bucket list, (we have done OH’s convertible mustang) so this time we will be having a pickup truck – I have always wanted to have one but never seemed worth the cost (or size) for the two of us but with car hire astronomical this year across the board and no real price difference between a standard car and the pickup we thought now was the time to go for it.

Edited at 12:17 PM.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Great stuff and I really enjoyed it.

Am looking forward to your actual trip report… doubtless with lots of great photos! 🤓

Are there any theme parks involved? A schedule?

Edited at 11:13 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Great stuff and I really enjoyed it.

Am looking forward to your actual trip report… doubtless with lots of great photos! 🤓

Are there any theme parks involved? A schedule?

Good point - would help if I put where we were visiting:

No theme parks involved, the closest we got to Disney was Disney Springs on the last travel day home! Hopefully the report will be of interest to anyone that is looking to go to places for a bit of respite outside the parks.

Generally in the order we visited as below although some of these we visited more than once during our stay, namely Circle B, Orlando Wetlands and Merritt Island Black Point Drive

• Circle B Bar Reserve
• Orlando Wetlands
• Viera wetlands
• Ulumay wildlife sanctuary
• Merritt Island
• Black Point Drive
• Manatee Observation deck
• Biolab Road Drive
• Playalinda Beach
• Shrub Jay Trail
• Hall Scott Trail
• Leu Gardens
• Marshall Hampton reserve

Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
Good point - would help if I put where we were visiting:

No theme parks involved, the closest we got to Disney was Disney Springs on the last travel day home! Hopefully the report will be of interest to anyone that is looking to go to places for a bit of respite outside the parks.

Generally in the order we visited as below although some of these we visited more than once during our stay, namely Circle B, Orlando Wetlands and Merritt Island Black Point Drive

• Circle B Bar Reserve
• Orlando Wetlands
• Viera wetlands
• Ulumay wildlife sanctuary
• Merritt Island
• Black Point Drive
• Manatee Observation deck
• Biolab Road Drive
• Playalinda Beach
• Shrub Jay Trail
• Hall Scott Trail
• Leu Gardens
• Marshall Hampton reserve

That will make very interesting reading. I am theme parked out pretty much and some of these may be very interesting indeed!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

This sounds interesting - the nature attractions are always something I am keen to hear about!
Old 28 Dec 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Thank you! Really interested to research these places as this is really what we do too on our road trips and I've not heard of some of them. We are going to a concert at House of Blues this time though

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 21, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Looking forward to reading along as I think our next trip will be very theme park limited
Old 29 Dec 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
That will make very interesting reading. I am theme parked out pretty much and some of these may be very interesting indeed!
Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
This sounds interesting - the nature attractions are always something I am keen to hear about!
Originally Posted by anji View Post
Thank you! Really interested to research these places as this is really what we do too on our road trips and I've not heard of some of them. We are going to a concert at House of Blues this time though
Originally Posted by P&S View Post
Looking forward to reading along as I think our next trip will be very theme park limited
Thanks all for reading, I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested as we were not doing any theme parks but we love all the nature in Florida, so I hope it gives you some ideas for future visits.
Old 29 Dec 21, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
Thanks all for reading, I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested as we were not doing any theme parks but we love all the nature in Florida, so I hope it gives you some ideas for future visits.
Quite the opposite. I do trip reports (see signature links). Your vacation is both unusual and interesting.
The 3 very successful ones that I have done, in terms of feedback, likes and comments had at best 33% time in parks. The most commented upon parts of those trippies were most certainly not the theme park days, rather the more unusual stuff.

We have all (or most of us) done the theme parks and rides, eaten at Longhorn, Golden Coral etc etc. many thousands of us have photographed those events and put out comprehensive coverage.

Not so many have ridden Horses in Kissimmee, visited Rainbow River, Crystal River, Caspersen Beach, Pensacola, Destin, Duck Key, 7 mile bridge, Key West, Valiant air command Museum, Daytona Beach, Buffalo Tigers airboats, Delnor Wiggins etc etc etc.
These things are imho far more interesting as many DIBBERS have never even thought of them, but might now have a look.

Your plan has many places that I have never heard of, yet alone researched and therefore I am really looking forward to learning from your adventure. It may affect my future vacation plans.

Edited at 10:50 AM.
Old 29 Dec 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm looking forward to reading all about your trip, a shame the rules were changed and that affected your plans.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List