Disney with the Dufflers - Day 4 - Epcot and Via Napoli

Pre-Trip Report

Day 0 - The Day Before

Day 1 - Travel Day and Arrival at CBR

Day 2 - Magic Kingdom

Day 3 - Typhoon Lagoon and Bahama Breeze

Day 4 – Epcot and Via Napoli

Epcot day! Hurrah!

Time for CrapCot, says Neil, and I scowl.

On Neil’s previous visits to Walt Disney World with his family in 2000 and 2003, he and his family had hated Epcot. And I mean, hated it. They had then aptly named it CrapCot or even S**tCot. I was absolutely determined to change his mind. Our family LOVES Epcot, we really do. We love that electricity as you walk through the turnstiles, that feeling of adventure and innovation. I don’t know, I just *get* it.

However, we had three scooter sized problems to deal with once again when we arrived at the bus stop. They were going to Epcot too. Of course. Steam was coming out of my ears by the time we actually got on the bus ready for off.

Bags checked, we went through the turnstiles and got another picture with the Photopass photographer.

We headed straight for Test Track. We had arrived at about 9.25 (thanks to the ladies on scooters for making us late! ) and so it was already posted a 45 minute wait for Test Track. We didn’t actually end up waiting this long (if we had, we would have missed our Nemo Fastpass)

The new Test Track was all right. Neil wasn’t that impressed, said it was more like one big advert for Chevrolet and I kind of agreed to be honest. That being said, there is more speed and drama in this one! Neil and I went on with Debsy. The vehicle we designed looked like a clunky blue version of the Delorien. The others seemed to have designed cars with absolutely MASSIVE wheels.

After Test Track, it was off to the Seas with Nemo. MINE. MINE. MINE. Love them!

As we boarded the ride, Neil turns to me and says, ‘Why do I always feel like I’m boarding a clam?’

After the Nemo ride, we had a wander around the Living Seas and OB, Sam and Megs had some pictures with Nemo and we had a look at the fishies.

Following this, we headed over to Soarin’. I had the Messiah complex once again as the queue was 90 minutes and with our magical Fastpasses, we were straight to the front! Neil, Mark, Debsy, Sam and Megsy had never been on Soarin’ before so this was a really special ride for all of us and was up there on the favourites list at the end of the holiday.

I love Soarin’, it’s completely got me in its emotional clutches. I listen to the soundtrack at work while I’m marking. It soothes me, somehow. This was made even more amazing by the fact that when we were on the ride, Neil was by my side and we pointed proudly to the top of Yosemite falls and cried out, ‘We’ve climbed up to the top of there!’ (You did what?! screeched Mum) and remembered our time in San Fran when we flew over the Golden Gate bridge.

This was just fabulous.

Our next FP was for Mission Space. The last time we’d been, only me and Martin had been on it, as OB suffered from motion sickness but this time, he was ready to try it. So the Mission Space, Orange crew consisted of myself, Neil, Martin and OB.

I still absolutely love this. Even though I feel pretty whoozy after coming off it. I was the Engineer once again. Hypersleep and something else... can’t really remember. Neil made a point of not actually pressing his buttons when he was meant to! Sigh! But I just think it’s really really clever! I don’t think Disney gets enough credit for what they’ve done with this ride! Hey ho!

At this point, it was nearly 12pm and this meant only one thing. The World Cup again. I mentioned in my pre-trip report as to how I had to change most of our ADRs to compensate for this one event. And how the itinerary kind of had to be rejigged as well to ensure we were close to the ESPN bar when games were on. We did ask Disney around the six month mark (when we were ready to reserve ADRs) where they were going to show the World Cup but they said they didn’t know that far ahead. Obviously, when it started and we realised that they were going to be showing them everywhere, I was kind of annoyed because some of our itinerary decisions would have been changed. Grr! Anyway... we headed to the Odyssey Centre.

It was a good set up in there, actually. Massive screens everywhere, tables and chairs, sofas, a bar, crisps, hot dogs etc etc.

Us girls, not being too fussed about the World Cup, went to go and get some food at the Electric Umbrella. I think I had yet another Caesar Salad! Mum had the Flatbread which she said was fantastic – I opted out because we were having pizza for tea at Via Napoli.

We were out of there by 12.50 which was great because we had planned to Facetime my Grandparents (via Sam’s girlfriend, Rachel) at 1pm. We headed for the Odyssey Centre and Uncle Mark was looking out for us, they’d got through already!

While we were away...

My Granddad had a hip replacement. Well, on the 7th July while we were at Universal Studios. My Grandparents are both 76 and until my Granddad’s mobility has decreased because of his hip, they had been incredibly fit and mobile. My Grandad still drives around, they go to the shops, they’re very independent, really. But, that being said, my Uncle Mark and Mum are the main members of our family that look after them when they need it. Mum takes Grandma out for coffee every Friday, Mark goes to visit them on a weekend and during the week, that sort of thing. So when we found out that his operation was going to be while we were away, Mum and Uncle Mark were a bit fretty and worried.

So they’d been calling on a phone card I saved from California, and using Facetime and using my TU Go app from O2.

Mum was thrilled to see them both and they were pleased to learn we were having a great time. The day after, the Tour was going through our village, so everyone was getting really excited about that.

After speaking to Grandma and Grandad, the game had nearly finished so the rest of our party went to get some food. Me, Megan and Debsy went to try and find them in the Electric Umbrella, but magically lost Debsy (who apparently, just went to sit outside on one of the benches)

We ran into Sam and OB and then headed to Germany (where Mum, Martin and Uncle Mark had gone) I took Megs around the World Showcase, including in the shop in Norway where there was a bit of Frozen merchandise! (Why can’t they turn Maelstrom into a Frozen ride? No?)

We arrived and sat down on a bench and located Uncle Mark, Mum and Martin. Martin, Uncle Mark and Megs went to get some lunch and me and Mum got some beerskis!

We sat down on a bench in the shade for our first Germany beer. While we had heard from her over Whatsapp quite a lot, we really missed Katie here. The holiday wasn’t right until she had arrived. Part of the family was missing. And part of our foolish girly trio wasn’t there! So we sent her this selfie...

And said we were missing her!

Neil, at this point, had apparently gone to watch the second half of the football (of course) and had said he would meet us all in Germany. I don’t know why, but when Debsy, Sam and OB finally found us, and everyone else was there and Neil wasn’t, I got really worried that we’d never find him again. I’m so silly, really. Because he rocked up five minutes later. Apparently we should never have food from the Mexico fast food bit. He said it was awful.

We walked from Germany over to Italy and had a meander. At this point, the sun was reaching it’s mega oppressive stage again. We needed a drink and shade. So that was exactly what we did. I ordered a Pinot Grigio and Neil had a Peroni and we sat chilling in the shade.

Sam, OB and Megan decided to head back to Caribbean Beach for a swim. We told them when they needed to be back for for dinner and all credit to them, they were bang on time.

Neil and I arranged to meet Mum, Martin, Mark and Debsy in France for some champagne but we actually ran into them in Morocco. We had another beer (probably too many of these by this point, really – oops) and then I was touched when Mum and Uncle Mark presented me with a beautiful Mickey necklace and earrings. (See Day 5 for picture of me wearing it)

It was a thank you for all my planning which they thought was spectacular already. I was really touched as it wasn’t expected at all. It was so thoughtful and I wore them on numerous occasions throughout the holiday. I even might wear them on my wedding day

Although I have to admit, I secretly thought, ‘You ain’t seen nothing yet,’ as we had California Grill, Le Cellier, Narcooosee’s, The Derby and Citricos all to come!

Following Morocco, we headed to France for champagne...

Then, yet again, the football. 4pm. Quarter Finals. You can understand my frustration, I hope. Anyway, I left Mum, Martin and Neil in the ESPN bar watching the match while, to my delight, Uncle Mark said he wanted to join me for a stroll on the Boardwalk. While going past the Boardwalk Bakery, we found that we just couldn’t help ourselves.

These cakes were genuinely incredible. I would recommend anyone give the Boardwalk Bakery a try. Although somehow, I get the feeling that when reading this, people will be thinking, ‘As if you’ve not tried the Boardwalk bakery before now!’

We had a stroll up to Jellyrolls – where we’d planned a night out later on in the holiday – and then went back to ESPN. Everyone else wasn’t that bothered about the game and left after 90 minutes. It had gone to extra time. I sat with Neil in the ESPN bar, completely disinterested in the football while he was gripped, chatting to a few random strangers about the game. Then, of course, it went to penalties.

However, Neil and I had a little fall out here, as he was somehow fuming that he wasn’t able to watch the penalties. ‘The bit that mattered.’ I was fuming that he was so bothered about watching the penalties. It’s the quarter finals! You’re in Epcot in Disney World! Does it really matter? Sigh.

We didn’t stay mad at each other for too long though and made up as soon as we got sat down at Via Napoli.

We arrived at Via Napoli and got sat down very quickly. Mum and I ordered a bottle of wine to share (not very nice, pretty ‘tired’ in vintage, as Katie would say). We ordered some Antipasto to share and some Arancini. As well as a massive 3-5 people pizza, half mushrooms, half pepperoni.

Now you see it...

Now you don’t...

I can’t help but compare this meal to Tutto Italia and I have to say that Tutto Italia wins hands down for me. The pizza was nice but by no means the best pizza I’ve ever had in my life. The Arancini was AMAZING but then again, I love Arancini. But in terms of the quality of food and general ambience, I have to go with Tutto Italia. However, I have to say that due to the standard of food we received at Teppan Edo and Le Cellier, I’m not convinced that even eating in Italy would be top of my list for our next visit. Shocking statement!

Following our meal, we made our way round the World Showcase back to the middle, near Future World and watched Illuminations. Illuminations got to me more this time than it ever has. I think it’s because there were so many of us there, experiencing this amazing spectacle, all together. I love the music, I love the globe, I love the fountains, I love the fireworks. I know it’s so chewy and cheesy but I love the sense of unity about Epcot. I love what the World Showcase stands for. If only real life was so simple and beautiful and if only countries in real life had that same peace and simplicity as they went about their daily politic.

Neil made his usual comment regarding the amount of tears shed: ‘Severe dehydration over here, folks!’

We made a surprisingly speedy exit from Epcot and were back on a bus to CBR in no time. Simply an incredible day at Epcot.

Day 5 - Pool morning, Downtown Disney and California Grill is here

Edited at 05:54 PM.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 14, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
beck_loz
Imagineer

beck_loz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great report... Wow that pizza looks good x
beck_loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 14, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
That pizza looks amazing, great day! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Loving your trippie

You all seem to be having a fab time and obvs your planning skills paid off
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
a good day apart from football!
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MagicalDay
Excited about Disney

I love football but not sure id be wanting to watch it when I'm at Disney! I am allowed to watch one evening game when I'm there! That'll do me

Did any of them change there minds about Epcot?

1990 - 1992 - 1993 - 1994 - 1995 - 1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002x2- 2003x2 - 2004 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - 2011 - 2014 - 2016 Orlando Holidays!
Next Adventure starts 14/11/2018!
MagicalDay is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 14, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes!
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 14, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
You showed far more tolerance over the football than I would have done The cupcakes look amazing - definitely need to try one next time we visit

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 14, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
rens
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Another great day- those cupcakes look amazing!
Totally understood your worldcup frustrations- I like football but wouldn't plan my holiday around it x
rens is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 14, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Jnyfrk8
slightly serious Dibber

Jnyfrk8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 19

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 134
Shame about all the football stops but meant you got that awesome cupcake at the Boardwalk Bakery
Jen
xx
Jnyfrk8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List