Notices

Old 7 Jan 17, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 114
NYC, Philadelphia and D.C. July 2017

I finally went ahead and booked to go to New York as I say I’m going to do all the time. I’m going with my friend James, who comes with me on nearly all my trips. He’s big into Politics, studying Law and loves House of Cards so I know he’ll love D.C. especially. I love American History and have always wanted to go to NYC so it’s going to be a great trip for the both of us.

I’ll be flying from Canada and he’ll be flying from London and we’ll just meet there, depending on flight times we’ll either meet at the airport or the hotel. No point in one of us waiting around for hours.

So our trip dates are

2nd of July - 7th of July NYC staying at the Ameritania Hotel
Cost of hotel was £603
[/IMG]http://ameritanianyc.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/11/ameritania-at-times-square-hotel-nyc-specials-room2.jpg[/IMG]

Then onto Philadelphia for 2 nights
7th of July - 9th July staying at the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown
Cost of hotel was £244

Then our final leg will be onto Washington D.C. for 3 nights
9th July - 12th July staying at the Fairfax at Embassy Row
Cost of hotel was £586

Day One:

Our plan for the first day is to stick around the area by the hotel. We are a 7 minute walk from Times Square, which the tourist in me is keen to check out on the first day. Obviously I’ll want to check out the Disney Store which is a must. Along with M&M world and maybe we’ll come across the Naked Cowboy, assuming that he’s even a thing any more. We’ll go to White Castle, again for the novelty factor. The food here probably isn’t all that great but I’m going. If it sucks we can move onto somewhere else.

I’ve been trying to squeeze in the Museum of Modern Art somewhere into my itinerary and I just don’t think I”m going to have the energy to do two museums in one day. Soo… We’re probably going to do MOMA on the first night as it’s less than a 10 minute walk from our hotel.

I’m thinking about doing the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner, before our reservation for Top of the Rock (of which I have yet to book) but I feel like this would be a waste as I can go to a HRC wherever I am and the food always disappoints. Any suggestions for good reasonably priced food around Times Square?

The plan is to do TOTR for sunset time so we can get some pretty views in day and night time.

In the same area as the Rockefeller is Radio City Music Hall, which we’ll probably check out in the evening when it’s lit up for photos.

We’ll probably find some sort of convenience store and buy some snacks and stuff for breakfast to save on some $$$. Can anyone recommend a store food for this? Does Duane Reade do this sort of thing?

Day Two

On our second day we’ll be doing (hopefully if I get tickets in time!) the crown of the Statue Of Liberty, and then onto Ellis Island and Immigration museum. We’ll be doing this in the morning because judging by mine and James’s previous trips unless something is booked we will not get out of bed at the time we say we are. We can’t miss this if it’s booked so we’ll definitely get out on time this day. It also means we’ll then have the rest of the day to fit in everything else at a more leisurely pace as we won’t be rushing around.

Next up is more touristy sightseeing. I want to go over to 5th/6th Avenue Area and spend the day doing touristy things.

On my list are:
St Patricks Cathedral
The LOVE sign on 6th Avenue
Tiffany’s on 5th Avenue
Bloomingdales
FAO Schwartz for the Big Piano and wander
Dylan’s Candy Bar for Cocktails!
Grand Central station/Whispering Walls
The Chrysler Building
Then I’m thinking maybe we can squeeze in a Broadway show in the evening? We’re right on Broadway anyway so there wouldn’t be a big walk home and James is a musical theatre fanatic

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7aOd-ZpO_b3oI9j0F5bYsmCitaUgiq0haEv_xDtEKiXJhXyzj
http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Grand-Central-Terminal-inside.jpg[/IMG]

I have no ideas where/what we’ll be doing for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner on this day. Any Recommendations in this area?

Day Three:

The plan for our third day is to spend the majority of it in Central Park. I know how big this park is, and although there’s only a handful of things we want to do its going to take a while to walk to each thing.

We’ll probably catch the subway to the nearest station to the American Museum of Natural History, do this first and then make our way through the park.

I think we’ll go from the museum to the Belvedere Castle, maybe check out the Shakespeare Garden. Then onto Strawberry Fields, Bethesda Terrace, Bow Bridge then come back on ourselves and finish with the Hans Christian Anderson Statue and Alice in Wonderland Statue. From here, we’ll catch the subway again back to the Hotel.

Our plan for lunch is to either bring a picnic which I think would be really nice and relaxing in the summer or just to find somewhere in the park but my options look limited. Plus the picnic would save us some $$ and also we can just eat whenever we like instead of having to spend ages looking for a place to eat.

Later in the day we’ll go check out Macy’s, maybe get dinner somewhere and then do the Empire State Building in the evening.

Evening dinner recommendations anyone?

Day Four:

Day four’s plan is to do yet another observation deck! This time we’ll be going south on the Subway to do the one World Observation deck in the morning. We’ll also be doing the 9/11 memorial and museum just after this.

Then we’ll head on over to Wall Street to see the stock exchange and Charging Bull.

[IMG]http://www.aecom.com/my/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/1WTC_Credit-Michael-Mahesh-PANYNJ-810x531.jpg
https://d187qskirji7ti.cloudfront.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/NYSE-Wall-Street.jpg[/IMG]

As we’ll be in the same area, we’ll be checking out the Hook and Ladder 8 fire station from ghostbusters.

Possibly going to China Town, is it worth it? Anywhere good places to eat here?

And hopefully, we’ll catch the Brooklyn Bridge at Sunset. I’ll have to rethink today’s plan though as ideally I want to stay in the same general area rather than come back and forth so I might need some more things to take up time before doing the Bridge.

Should I add in the Highline, chelsea Market, Friends Building and Flat Iron onto this day if I have time? Sunset in summer is pretty late! Don’t want to be hanging around not doing anything. I don’t mind going a little out of my way but don’t want to have to go back to the hotel and then all the way back down iykwim.

Our last day is going to be going back and doing anything we want to see again or didn’t get time to do. I’m wondering if I’ll have time to squeeze in the Teddy Roosevelt house, as this is something I’d really like to do, and doesn’t seem as touristy as everything else on my list.

Im hoping to book an evening train for between 5-7pm to Philadelphia, which if I remember correctly will take just over a hour.

So that’s my NYC itinerary as of right now.

We still basically have to book everything. My hotels are done. I need my flight booked, which I don’t want to do just yet as I don’t know if I’ll be flying from Vancouver or Toronto as I’m planning on doing a tour across Canada prior to this trip (it’ll be camping through a tour company) or whether I should just do the tour from NYC back to Vancouver (as most of the tours go east to west)

I also have to look into and book train tickets

I have to book everything too. New York will cost us the most as the things we want to do in Philly and D.C. are mostly free.

WDW - 96, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 17
DLP - 98, 01, 02, 10 DLR - 11, 12, 14, 18 15
Las Vegas - 11, 12, 13x2, 14, 18x2
WDW Cast Member 17 - 18 14 U.S. States & Counting!

Edited at 07:20 AM.
sweetemotion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 17, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Hi lovely! Great plans! Don't go to Applebees in Times Square and FAO Schwartz closed down! Itinerary looks fab!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 02:20 AM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by princess_chazy View Post
Hi lovely! Great plans! Don't go to Applebees in Times Square and FAO Schwartz closed down! Itinerary looks fab!
I totally forgot that closed down How sad, thats been one of my top things to do since I was a kid. I loved the movie BIG

sweetemotion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 17, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

The big Piano is now on a lower floor in Macy's.

We are off to NY on the 31/7 and i'm also putting together an itinerary, planning tickets etc at the moment.

Will be following your pre trip report.

Gillian.
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 17, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Off to NY in October as part of our road trip so will be following you for info!

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 02:18 AM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
CHANGE OF PLAN:

Good news and bad news!

I'm going to have to either cancel, or do this trip at an earlier date. That's the bad news.

The good news, is that I've just found out I'll be moving to Florida on July 10th to do the Disney CRP Program!

Which means, my dates for this trip, overlap with my start date for Disney. And I don't want to cut the trip short by 2 days because I'll need all the time I can get to organise and pack for Florida. And I'll really want to spend those last few weeks in Canada. July 1st is Canada day and I really want to be here for it. It's Canada's 150th Birthday! It's a special one.

So I've been putting together a bucket list of things I want to do in Canada before I leave, most of them are do-able as they're very close to me already. I want to really spend some time in Vancouver doing Stanley park, Capilano suspension bridge etc. Then I want to see Brandywine falls, Joffre Lakes etc. I want to experience Whistler in the summer, spending time paddle boarding on all the awesome lakes, hiking etc. If I have the time and funds, I'd love to go to Banff/Lake Louise, Toronto, Niagara and Quebec.

I'm hopefully planning a couple of days in Seattle in Feb, possibly Cuba end of April and will be visiting my friend Laura in Tofino after she gets back from Alaska. So, the only time I'll be able to do this trip now is mid-June.

But it's so expensive! the price just bumps up for this time of year compared to a few weeks later in July

So I'm going to keep my eyes open and hopefully can find a good price!

Old 23 Jan 17, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Congratulations! Shame about your trip but NYC will always be there.