Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 29 Sep 16, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Edin
Excited about Disney

Sleep Apnoea - does anyone else have it?

I have just been recently diagnosed and have just received my mask and was wondering if anyone else has it and do you take your mask on the plane as hand luggage?
Edin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 16, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Yes, I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I'm assuming your question is in regards to transporting the equipment - I don't actually use it when sleeping in the plane.

When I was issued with my CPAP machine, it came in what looks like a black laptop bag. I am not sure if this was standard issue, or because I had mentioned that I was about to travel to Florida a few weeks later. They also provided me with a letter to show airlines/airport security stating:

"...'s CPAP machine is an important piece of medical equipment needed for normal breathing during sleep. It is recommended that it is taken aboard aircraft as hand luggage to avoid damage. This medical equipment cannot be used or transported in environmental conditions below -10 or above 60 degrees"

When I researched airlines' baggage T&C's, it confirmed that this could be taken in addition to my normal hand luggage allowance. I have now been on at least 8 flights with the equipment and not been challenged. However, I was a little embarrassed this trip when it was taken off the belt after being x-rayed and the tactless security officer shouted out loudly "who's is the breathing machine?" She seemed to be well aware of what it was and only just wanted to swab it - I didn't have to take any of the bits out of the bag.

A tip if you are a regular traveller - ask your sleep clinic to provide a long tube and a long power lead, as I have found in a few hotel rooms that sockets are often on the opposite side of the room and very rarely by your bedside like they would be at home.

Edited at 10:30 PM.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My wife has just been diagnosed about a month ago & as above she was given the letters etc for travel but we did contact VA who were fine but did need confirmation from the hospital that she was ok to fly back overnight without using the machine, she then received an email back from VA confirming she was ok to travel & also allowed an extra item of hand luggage.
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Edin
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by skb 123 View Post
Yes, I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I'm assuming your question is in regards to transporting the equipment - I don't actually use it when sleeping in the plane.

When I was issued with my CPAP machine, it came in what looks like a black laptop bag. I am not sure if this was standard issue, or because I had mentioned that I was about to travel to Florida a few weeks later. They also provided me with a letter to show airlines/airport security stating:

"...'s CPAP machine is an important piece of medical equipment needed for normal breathing during sleep. It is recommended that it is taken aboard aircraft as hand luggage to avoid damage. This medical equipment cannot be used or transported in environmental conditions below -10 or above 60 degrees"

When I researched airlines' baggage T&C's, it confirmed that this could be taken in addition to my normal hand luggage allowance. I have now been on at least 8 flights with the equipment and not been challenged. However, I was a little embarrassed this trip when it was taken off the belt after being x-rayed and the tactless security officer shouted out loudly "who's is the breathing machine?" She seemed to be well aware of what it was and only just wanted to swab it - I didn't have to take any of the bits out of the bag.

A tip if you are a regular traveller - ask your sleep clinic to provide a long hose and a long power lead, as I have found in a few hotel rooms that sockets are often on the opposite side of the room and very rarely by your bedside like they would be at home.
Thanks for the reply. Yes it was more about the transportation rather than using it on the flight.

I have quite a long lead on my machine but I will be taking a extension cable just in case.
Edin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Edin
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by MikeH23 View Post
My wife has just been diagnosed about a month ago & as above she was given the letters etc for travel but we did contact VA who were fine but did need confirmation from the hospital that she was ok to fly back overnight without using the machine, she then received an email back from VA confirming she was ok to travel & also allowed an extra item of hand luggage.
I am getting my letter for customs at my next appointment in 4 weeks. I never thought about the flight on the way home I will need to ask for a letter for that as well just to be on the safe side. We are travelling VA so it's good to know.
Old 30 Sep 16, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Don't forget to tell your travel insurance provider of your diagnosis. I think it increased my premium very slightly.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 16, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Edin
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I have just renewed my travel insurance so I have added that in. Went up a bit but not to much.
Old 5 Oct 16, 04:11 AM  
Link to this Post
lawe
VIP Dibber

lawe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Contact VA special assistance, advise them that you have a CPAP machine and they will increase the hand luggage allowance for you.

With regards to the return flight, nothing was mentioned about conformation regarding flying back when I spoke to the lady (Flew in August) but I just stayed awake and enjoyed the flight back.

As a tip I would go to this site hope2sleep/shop.html and buy the medical cards, cotton masks and finally the CPAP hose lift. All will fit snuggly in the machines case.

If you staying at the airport the night before in the hotel, check to see if they have a power point near the bed. PI at Gatwick North had one on the other side of the bed but I have a extenstion lead but I also bought a 6 UK extenstion lead to US mains from Amazon so that catered for the CPAP and also all the phone/Tablet/Camera chargers!

May 2012, August 2016 Lake Berkley Resort
June 2024 booked back to Lake Berkley
lawe is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 04:11 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread