Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 8 Jan 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post

DAS and parent swap

Hello Everyone,

My first post for a while but we have decided that we're going back in 2018

We were last in Orlando in May 2015 and had a blast. My son has a dual diagnosis of ASD and ADHD. Last time we had the das and used FP and managed how much time we spent in the parks each day and generally he managed well. The last time we went we had my mum and dad with us which worked fabulously when my husband and I wanted to go on one of the faster rides as they would take him to something else/get ice cream etc.

This time it's just the three of us (me, husband and son) so we'll have to plan diffferently.

So to my question...we use the DAS to avoid complete meltdown by long noisy queing (we will be using ear defenders for noisy queing). If my husband and I want to use parent swap room so we can ride one of the bigger rides can we use the DAS to avoid the long standby queues? I know it might seem like we are attempting to miss queing but if we have to wait in the long standby queues with our son before we can use the parent swap rooms then he's unlikely to cope and we'll have to resign ourself to not going on the bigger rides (e.g. rock n roller coaster, mummy etc). The only other option would be to use the FPs for the rides me and husband want to ride and use the parent swap room that way but then no FPs for the things son will do.

Anyone any experience of this? Advice appreciated.

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

My understaning is that the person who has the DAS has to ride.
Anne K is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 17, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Maybe email Disney, but I am sure that to use the DAS for queuing they would need to ride or they may send you to back of the queue! Could you not just take it in turns to do the rides while the other one looks after your son? Or book the FP as well for your son and do the parent swap without him riding, maybe that would work, as you would be using DAS to FP for his rides anyway?
Old 8 Jan 17, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post

As far as I know there aren't any parent swap rooms at Disney.
Old 8 Jan 17, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Really? I thought there were! Oh well if that's the case then it makes the decisions easier Thanks
Old 8 Jan 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Maybe email Disney, but I am sure that to use the DAS for queuing they would need to ride or they may send you to back of the queue! Could you not just take it in turns to do the rides while the other one looks after your son? Or book the FP as well for your son and do the parent swap without him riding, maybe that would work, as you would be using DAS to FP for his rides anyway?
Thanks for the response. Yes, I wondered that he would have to ride. I guess there are lots of options like you say. Using FPs for the rides me and hubby want to go on and DAS for things son wants to go on. Not sure about queing and riding seperately as this could mean a lot of seperate queing if you know what I mean (hubby queues for 30 minutes and rides...then finds us ... then I queue for 30 minutes and ride is an hours queing for us both to ride).

Although, we may just forego the fast rides this time because I think I'd feel a bit weird riding on my own...also i have a tendency to giggle hysterically on the rides
Old 8 Jan 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Parent swap at Disney.

Party arrives at ride. Parent1 asks attendant for parent swap ticket, queues and rides, get off, gives parent swap ticket to parent2 who goes down the fast pass queue on onto ride.
Old 8 Jan 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
Parent swap at Disney.

Party arrives at ride. Parent1 asks attendant for parent swap ticket, queues and rides, get off, gives parent swap ticket to parent2 who goes down the fast pass queue on onto ride.
Aaah, I dont know why I thought there were specific rooms (maybe at US). Thanks for this, it makes sense and now I can think about what to FP. Also even less queing for son so that always a good option

Thank you for this
Old 9 Jan 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Ive always thought its a shame there isn't any sort of rider swap for those with disabled people in their group that cant be left alone.
like you said if you both want a go, youd have to double queue.
these days you can fastpass but still not fair.
Last time we went on space mountain, we got FP for all of us. we just said our son wasn't riding.
Usually I just let my husband queue and then id miss out on most things.

im sure space mountain used to have a child swap room years ago. I remember using it when our son was about 4.