Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 7 Sep 06, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Maytime Munchies - Whispering Canyon Cafe

Whispering Canyon Café

The original plan was to have lunch at Trail’s End at Fort Wilderness, but due to being seated at a messy, cramped table and waiting ages get the attention of our extremely disinterested, dead-eyed, dishevelled and profusely perspiring waiter, I changed my mind about eating here and decided to leave.
It was real shame as we had previously had a lovely lunch at Trail’s End. We’ll try it again sometime, but we’d had a couple of shoddy service issues this visit already and I wasn’t about to put up with another miserable server ruining my meal.

I’d been feeling quite hungry but was far too irritated to eat now, so after visiting the handsome horses at the Tri Circle D barn, we decided to head over to Wilderness Lodge.
We both absolutely love the rustic atmosphere of WL and will stay there one day I’m sure, so I thought we’d have yet another wander round to suss out which rooms we’d prefer.
There is a sign-posted walking trail between the two resorts, and although it was boiling hot, we really enjoyed our amble through the tall fragrant pines.
We saw loads of beautiful butterflies and even some deer grazing, there were three of them and they were only about ten feet away!
By the time we reached WL we were relaxed and happy again. We were also suddenly very conscious that our appetites had returned!

As we entered the magnificent timber lobby area we noticed that Whispering Canyon Cafe was neither busy nor overly loud (always been both when we’d passed by previously) so we thought now was a great opportunity to give it a try.

We asked for a table away from the antics and they were happy to seat us at the far end of the dining room – with a few other middle-aged couples
There was actually quite an amusing atmosphere, but we certainly didn’t want to be in the thick of it all.
Those comical waitresses can screech really loud - and I can’t in a million years imagine Paul racing around the place on a hobby horse!
Our waiter ‘Cousin Al’ was immediately likeable and very astute; he summed us up well and engaged in some amusing, light-hearted banter without going OTT.

There is a vegetarian dish on the menu - a hearty-sounding vegetable and cannellini bean stew – but Paul was more in the mood for a cheeseburger and fries.
Cousin Al had never been asked for a veggie burger before so went off to check with the chef. He seemed surprised and pleased to report back that they did indeed serve veggie burgers.
Paul happily munched his ‘off menu’ burger and said he thought the bun was particularly fresh and tasty and the fries better than the ones at Beaches and Cream
He also had a bottomless strawberry milkshake, which Cousin Al was quick to refill.
I did have a few sneaky slurps of the milkshake, but I preferred to cool off with a couple of glasses of chilled Argyle Chardonnay.

I was quite tempted to order the veggie stew but it seemed a bit too heavy for lunch, so I chose the Pan-seared Trout which was served on top of sautéed potatoes, grilled onions, spinach and smoked bacon.
It was perked up by a spicy chilli-oil dressing and a simple tomato and cucumber salsa.
I chose well, as absolutely everything on the plate was exceptionally tasty.
Packed with flavours yet fresh and light, this is my kind of food and it turned out to be one of my favourites dishes this trip!

We finished our meal with caramel drizzled, apple pie and ice cream.

I’m glad we ended up changing our original plans as it gave us the opportunity to eat at Whispering Canyon Café at long last. We really enjoyed our lunch and will eat here again for sure!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 06, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahc
VIP Dibber

sarahc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
That trout and the apple pie look sooo good!
Old 7 Sep 06, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Mmmmm looking yummy there Sue, the lunch menu differs from the evening one though, doesn't it?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 06, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Thanks for that. Weve always had the skillet here but havent enjoyed it so much lately - we are here for Xmas day lunch so I cant wait to try some of the other dishes. I love veggie burgers and (although Im not vegetarian) like them as a welcome change to meat. We are having Xmas dinner at Yachtsmans so a veggie burger for lunch might be just the ticket - and my mum will simply love that trout!
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 06, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Ahh that photo bought it all back, we had a fab evening here and kids faces were a picture all night, they could not believe what they ended up with!

Thanks for sharing
Old 7 Sep 06, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by soozicue
Mmmmm looking yummy there Sue, the lunch menu differs from the evening one though, doesn't it?

Yeah it does a bit Sue - they have pork chops in the evening I love pork chops and the pics I've seen of the ones served here look sooo good!

Gawd I'm turning into Homer Simpson
Old 7 Sep 06, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Glad u arre doing these reports Sue, love the pics and drinking at lunchtime
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 06, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry I've been so tardy with them Steve

Too much drinking at lunchtime

ps Thanks for the kick up the bum... erm gentle reminder. I'll do the Seasons 52 one next
Old 7 Sep 06, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
excellent Sue, they are always worth the wait though I must say , as DD will be 16 next year we are intending to make use of our inhouse babysitter and have a few nice grown up meals
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 06, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Chelle27
Imagineer

Chelle27's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mmmmm looks lovely - especially the wine!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v495/OrlandoBelle/Glitter%20sigs/Chelle2.gif

Hawthorn Suites @ Seaworld July 2005
High Grove, Clermont, July 2006
The Bad Hair Trip Report - July 2005

The Your Eyes Are Bigger Than Your Bellie Trippie - August 2006
Chelle27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List