Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 3 Dec 16, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

CAMHS ASD Assessment - What to Expect?

Hi, just wondering if anyone can offer any insight about what to expect please?

DD10 has been referred to CAMHS for an ASD assessment but I have no clue what to expect and so can't prepare her for the appointment.

I did ring them to ask but they were very vague and just said it'd take about an hour and they'd talk to her, and assess her speech and language (which will be interesting as she's actually very articulate!). I asked if I would get chance to talk to the person without DD there, and they said yes, if I brought someone to sit with DD in the waiting room, so I'm glad I asked as now DH will come too.

And are we likely to get the results there and then?
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 16, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
VickiHayling
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

My DS age 8 had his assessment in August, he disappeared for an hour then the assessor handed him back with no feedback. It felt very strange and drove me mad as I wanted to know how he did. I grilled him for information and he seemed to have answered all her questions and completed all the games which frustrated me as he is very good at hiding his issues and it took me years to get him assessed. However a month later, he was confirmed as on the autistic spectrum, which is what we wanted fir him. So I guess all I can advise is not to worry and hopefully they know what to look for. Sorry I can't be more helpful and good luck x

Edited at 09:56 PM.
VickiHayling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 16, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
babywebb
Apprentice Imagineer

Ds9 had his three weeks ago I too was worried as one on one he is fine ,it's when he's in his classroom or in large groups , however the assessor was brilliant she took Thomas on his own for around an hour then gave me feedback afterwards ,within 3 days the paediatrician called me to confirm Thomas was asd ( although to be fair he was in the waiting list for 4 years then they admitted he had got lost in the system ) but at least now we know what we are dealing with . Some of the questions were asking Thomas if he would like to get married when he was older ( I thought this was strange ) but she then explained to me that Thomas freaked out at this question as he cant see past each day ,also the lack of eye contact and fiddling with his fingers , make sure you ask for feedback afterwards 😀
Old 19 Dec 16, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
cherylc5773
Helping Mickey

Mobile

When my son has the ADOS test a few years ago to diagnose his asd - it was with 2 salt therapists. It was doing games/tasks answering some recall questions on pictures they'd asked him to look at.
For example, busy kids picture, it indicated how he focused on small minute details and didn't see the overall purpose of the picture.
They also asked questions about friendships/peer groups etc.
It was very friendly and was videod so the 'panel'could make the diagnosis.
2019 - Rosen/RPR/Ft Lauderdale/Caribbean/Celebration
2020 - Tampa/Bermuda/Azores/Mallorca/Alicante/Barclelona
cherylc5773 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

Thank you people! I had almost given up hope of a reply and honestly any and all info is very gratefully received.

It hadn't even occurred to me that they would take DD off on her own! She is NOT going to be happy about that but at least I can warn her that it might happen.

As horrible as it is, my biggest fear I think, is that they'll say she's just hormonal, or it's our poor parenting and that they can't help us any further

As some of you have said, she's good at hiding her issues, they don't show much at school and she is very articulate.
Old 19 Dec 16, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
babywebb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by NLB View Post
Thank you people! I had almost given up hope of a reply and honestly any and all info is very gratefully received.

It hadn't even occurred to me that they would take DD off on her own! She is NOT going to be happy about that but at least I can warn her that it might happen.

As horrible as it is, my biggest fear I think, is that they'll say she's just hormonal, or it's our poor parenting and that they can't help us any further

As some of you have said, she's good at hiding her issues, they don't show much at school and she is very articulate.
I don't know about your area but they did give me the option to go in with Thomas , one of his issues is separation anxiety from me he's convince every day that I will die when he's at school , also he too is very good at hiding his condition when on one 2 one , I don't know how they do it but somehow they still seem to see throw them even if they are on there best behaviour , good luck I'm sure she do ok
Old 20 Dec 16, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

Yes definite separation anxiety!I think we've handled her issues (relatively well) for so long that for us it's just normal life. She manages a lot of situations fairly well as we prepare well in advance without even thinking about it. But this year she's gone from a very small very supportive First School to a big Middle School, and her problems have really been highlighted.

Only about a month until the assessment, and then it sounds like maybe another month before they give us any opinions.

Thanks again
Old 20 Dec 16, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Take your red book, they will probably ask a load of questions of you that might seem highly irrelevant too. But they are the professionals and can see what they are looking for!
We had multiple visits and appointments pre our ds diagnosis. Different areas seem to do it differently.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 16, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

Right red book dug out and dusted off! Can't see what will be relevant in there although as you say, they're the experts! And having said that I only just read about the link between toe-walking and ASD - DD has toe-walked right from cruising, despite physio, Piedro boots etc.
Old 20 Dec 16, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
plutofan1
Imagineer

Mobile

Girls with ASD can present very differently from boys with ASD
They are the professionals and will know what to look for
At our school we have been able to access an ASD outreach team if a child has a full diagnosis or paediatrician has said ASD traits- and they have been fantastic at providing advice and recommendations for school
If she gets a diagnosis ask about whether there is a cygnet course in your area - it's for parents of older child et who have a diagnosis and goes through skills and advice of what to expect and support that's available
Probably havnt explained that well as not feeling great

Good luck
plutofan1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List