Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 20 Dec 16, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

Thanks plutofan1, we would love a course or some advice on how best to deal with her! Her behaviour is embarrassing at times - butting into a conversation with random detailed facts about horses, repeating words/sounds she likes over and over, occasionally licking people - and when she flips out I really don't know how to get her to calm down.

And then at other times she's exactly like every other 10yr old girl, although often very young in her thinking.

School is unfortunately 'between' SENCOs at the moment and the temporary one is a regular teacher (who I'm not very keen on!) who has done a quick course so he can stand in .

Hope you feel better soon

Edited at 07:35 PM.
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 16, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
hibbie
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by NLB View Post
Thanks plutofan1, we would love a course or some advice on how best to deal with her! Her behaviour is embarrassing at times - butting into a conversation with random detailed facts about horses, repeating words/sounds she likes over and over, occasionally licking people - and when she flips out I really don't know how to get her to calm down.

And then at other times she's exactly like every other 10yr old girl, although often very young in her thinking.

School is unfortunately 'between' SENCOs at the moment and the temporary one is a regular teacher (who I'm not very keen on!) who has done a quick course so he can stand in .

Hope you feel better soon
This sounds exactly like my son!...He cannot wait his turn in a converstaion, butts in talking about train and bus routes/timetables and is not aware of any personal space. As i've said in other posts we've now been reffered to SALT by the paediatrician (they may not accept his refferal) to get his non verbal communication skills assessed, and the school will be contacted about his social skills/communiaction skills... Ed psych were in to obxerve him on Monday however we've had no feedback on that!
hibbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

Wow hibbie sounds like you've got lots going on! Hopefully you'll get some answers soon. I've been waiting for this appointment since talking to the GP in June (initially they offered me June 2017 but luckily it got moved forwards!). This is our first appointment so sounds like there could be more in the future...
Old 23 Dec 16, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
janeg88
Imagineer

janeg88's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Please don't worry, these people are experts in their fields, and understand every child (and parent) demonstrates different behaviours. DS was observed in school, so I wasn't present, and this was much easier, as he was in a normal environment, without fussing parents. We then had an appointment at a clinic, but tbh the diagnosis had already been given.
janeg88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 16, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

Thanks janeg88. DD has had a massive meltdown this morning (change of routine plus anticipation I suspect, she hates both) and it's really taken the edge off the Christmas merriment. It's such hard work sometimes