Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 4 Jan 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Cheers and Beers in Boston - November 2016 Day 5 (Salem and the journey home)

Cheers and Beers in Boston

CAST LIST

Me (Shaun): looking forward to the beers!
Alison: looking forward to the Cheers!

Link to trip report index: Here

Monday 28th November 2016

This morning was an about face, I was up about 4.30 and Alison slept until about 5 today. Must’ve been catching up from her early morning the day before. Showered, dressed and out to guess where? Yup, Faneuil Hall for breakfast. We decided on Bagelville - breakfast bagels washed down with Starbucks – we are very predictable if nothing else! I had the scrambled egg and sausage bagel and Alison had a vegetable omelette bagel.

All very quiet here apart from a chap striking up a tune on the piano in the public area, a quick blast of some popular Disney tunes and he was away. All done and suitably filled up we went back to the hotel to pack up and then left our luggage with reception before going out for the day.

We’d probably done all we wanted to see and do in Boston, or at least those attractions that were still open this time of year and I decided that a trip to Salem would be good to get Alison a new broom!

We checked out the route and went to Boston North station, stopping at the Holocaust memorial on the way. It was so moving and very well done – with steam rising from the floor referencing the gas chambers.

We eventually found the station entrance, and the concourse was deserted. We bought return tickets at $15 each from the booking office who were very helpful.

There was not too long to wait before the train pulled in and we rushed upstairs to stare out of the top of the double decked train.

Scenery was pleasant although to start with it was similar to pulling out of any major city terminus with much industrial landscapes all around. On board were super-efficient ticket inspectors who appeared to be over zealous with their clipping action and frequency, a sight and noise to behold.

We pulled up at the single platform station in Salem and the place around the station was very spartan, I’d assumed there be sign saying “witch stuff” or “town this way” but nothing. We faffed around a bit before taking a punt on what way to go which actually paid off. First impressions was that it’s a pleasant enough mid-American feeling town, quiet, safe and local.

We made our way to the Salem Witch museum ($11 each) which was staffed by enthusiastic locals, ready to tell the story of the hearings and prosecutions of people accused of witchcraft between February 1692 and May 1693. The exhibition was really well done and put popular misconceptions to rest, I would recommend a visit.

From here we walked over to the harbour area and looked at the outside of the House of seven gables, a colonial mansion of an American author, built in 1667. If we’d had more time I may have spent a visit but maybe next time. The old timber clad / framed buildings were nice to look at and afterwards we went to Jaho coffee and tea shop for a non-Starbucks coffee and free Wi-Fi.

We wandered around the open spaces and considered the time so we just pulled into Firehouse subs for a bite to eat before going back to the train station.

I had a meatball sub and Alison had a buffalo chicken wrap – we had some fun chatting with the staff who just wanted to hear our accent!

Overall I enjoyed Salem for what it was but would only recommend probably about a half day here.

So, back to the station and we’d unluckily just missed a train so had a while to wait for the next one as it was the middle of the day. It was no hardship to wait – it was a pleasant day (bright but chilly) and we sat in the sun to wait.

Eventually we got on the train and walked to the hotel to pick up our luggage and say our goodbyes to the hotel staff. It was a short subway trip to Airport station and then the coach transfer to the airport proper.

We headed through security although I had a numpty moment and left my wheeled case behind causing a ‘moment’ for the security staff! I remembered before I’d gone too far luckily!

We headed downstairs into the depths of the airport to the BA lounge, where we sat in a quiet corner with a few drinks.

We were on a sleeper flight (which means you can eat a proper meal in the lounge to max out the sleep on board). But on checking out the food options I wasn’t too impressed, so declined that and just had cheese and biscuits. Alison had a small supper but said it wasn’t fantastic. (It was stuffed turkey, stuffed fish and some vegetables from memory).

We had some drinks (and coffee!) and waited to be called for boarding. Boarding was a complete mess – don’t know how they could get it so wrong! Lots of people trying to get on when only those needing extra help, or those with children were called. Anyway, we were onto plane eventually and we just love the upper deck on 747!

This is a refitted aircraft with updated IFE screens.
Fantastic crew kept us topped up with champers then lots of drinks without being asked!

The customer service director came round and welcomed us on board (first time ever for us) and it was really natural and genuine. We chatted about Boston and our other recent BA travel.

After take off, we decided on the light food option (a hot reuben sandwich) which was delicious!

We then laid the seats back and fell asleep.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 10:09 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 17, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

We never got to Salem as we went out on a Whale watch cruise but it is on our list for next time
Old 10 May 17, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another great day, I really like the look of Boston and the surrounding area, another one to add to the 'to visit' list

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
thanks for posting, enjoyed reading your reports
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List