Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 10 Jan 17, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
diyorks
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile Magic bands and autism

Hi everyone

Excited to say I've booked to return to Disney with my autistic 13 year old, big brother of 19 coming to help out. 19 August to 2 September.

Last time it worked well with the guest access pass. He coped with a couple of hours early on, back for sensory time, then a possible swim etc.

I understand the changes and I'm a bit worried.

He won't wear bands. Last time (3 years ago) he refused to do a thumb print so Disney allowed me to thumb print for him and his job was to scan the cards. Brilliant staff on the gate who were incredible helping me getting him in those first few days! These new magic bands - can they be clipped on me for example, rather than getting "lost" somewhere.

He has a few medical issues, oncology (in remission) and liver, so I'm concerned that return times on the new pass might make a potential in and out visit more lengthy. Once he is at a ride he just doesn't get that he would return. Last time lots of encouragement followed by having a fantastic time! Again fab staff helped hugely.

We are on site, but planning sometime went out of the window if it all was a bit too tiring. So a fast pass booked might not then be used unless we get him out of the door.

Lastly, getting a photo is like producing hens teeth ... I gather the new access pass needs a photo... has anyone had a photo taken on a young persons behalf so at least we can prove we are in the same trio.

Not a fan of big rides at all, he loves the sensory twirling etc and the feel of wind in his face. So my eldest son will be on all the rides with him and I will do the "nice ones" - I needed first aid room and a glass of water after I went on expedition Everest in a moment of bravery last time, much to the amusement of both boys!

Any help, advice or encouragement much appreciated.
diyorks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I can't answer all of your questions but the new magic bands can be put in a clip of preferable. Eve with the old bands you could have worn it as long as you stuck together. It doesn't need to be on his wrist. Just with you when it's required.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Could you put the magic band on a lanyard for him? The new system is hard to explain to someone with autism. My son (16) has autism and if we go to a ride he expects to be getting on it there & then so we make sure just one of us goes to the ride & gets it stamped with a time while he does something else. He has got better in the past 2 years at waiting and can now tolerate a 25minute queue but does start getting stressed if it takes longer as he thinks they have lied to him!
Old 10 Jan 17, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

He doesn't have to go to the ride to get a return time, just has to be one of your party so if you or his brother could go to get the return time it would avoid some stress.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 17, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
diyorks
Being a bit Goofy

Thank you fluffy chicken - that makes a big difference as we can sit elsewhere and chill hopefully or watch something that's not a queue. Lanyards are a tricky one as he eats everything - remote control the other week, so he might eat it and then we could scan him at the turnstile it was a card last time we went, clip ons sound perfect as I could just clip it to my t shirt etc. He only really likes about a handful of rides but would like to try a few more - returning is so exciting!

Edited at 11:55 PM.
diyorks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 17, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You can also return anytime after the time they give you so you dont have to worry about being back at a set time.
fluffychicken is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

You can were his band for him. I wore my 5 year old daughters on several occasions.
You can go to get the return time without him.
They will need a photo of him. What about taking a photo of him with you and they may be able to photograph that if they can tell it's him. Did that make sense?
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
diyorks
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Hoping to snap him between now and then. Thank you so much for that suggestion. It's like plaiting fog getting a photo but at least I've got a few months to capture him
Old 6 Apr 17, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

On our trip a few weeks ago DD decided to swap bands with me, (she didnt like her colour!) this wasnt a problem at all with regards to the DAS, as i explained the situation to CMs, only problem i didnt have the charging facility on her band, so she had my band and had to "pay" for everything! If only!
Old 23 Apr 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Giraffemoomin
I want to go now!

Mobile

Hi our dd (8) wouldn't wear the band last time we were there so I carried it for her and she held it to scan. I imagine you could clip it on somehow if you had a clip with you also. For the photo my dd didn't want to look directly at the camera but they managed to take it of her face iyswim, but the photo for them sounds like a good idea too
Giraffemoomin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List