Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Jan 17, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Ah! Paree - that is the place to be - Day 2

Day 2 – Saturday 7th January 2017 – Paris

So we are up at 6. Showers are taken and cups of tea and coffee are made. It’s a wet morning out there but that isn’t going to dampen our enthusiasm.

The Chambers lounge opens 6:30 a.m. and we get our complimentary breakfast – cereal, bacon, scrambled egg, sausage etc. very nice. We chose Express checkout so we just grab our cases and head to the Eurostar departure point.

Our train is due to depart at 7:52 and they ask you to check in 30 minutes before.

As we have Amex cards we are allowed to use the lounge. Lounge? I think corridor would be a better description.

Still we get complimentary coffees and croissant and a time away from the crowds.

Our half hour is about to be extended. They make an announcement to say that due to cable theft on HS1 our departure will be later and they will keep us updated. We have another coffee. Thankfully the delay isn’t too long and at 8:15 we get our call to board the train. We are travelling Standard Premier (a contradiction on terms methinks) and the journey there and back is covered with Avios points (from January 1st they is no longer offered for future trips). We settle into our seats on coach 15 which is right at the front of the train. That will save a platform walk when we get to Paris’ Gare du Nord station.

It’s not long before we are picking up a few people at Ebbsfleet and then we are into the tunnel. From end to end it’s about 35 miles long because it has to start inland and then go down a gradient so we are 75 metres below the bottom of the sea.

The journey through the tunnel takes about 20 minutes before we emerge into a dull morning at Coquelles, south of Calais. We are certainly whizzing along a some 300 kilometres per hour (186 m.p.h.) and the countryside is flying by. We are served breakfast – yoghurt, orange juice, croissant and bread with butter and jam. We have a small bottle of Prosecco with us so we make Buck’s Fizz with the juice.

We finally arrive at Gare du Nord at 10:45 plus an hour because France is one hour in front of the U.K. so 11:45a.m.

We have pre bought our Metro tickets (Paris Visite) for Zones 1 to 3 for two days and so are soon making our way towards Concorde, the nearest station to our Hotel.

We emerge after a long walk from the platform into the top corner of Place de la Concorde. I find the name a contradiction in terms considering that it was in this square that the famous guillotine stood during the revolution. It’s said that its foundation stones were from the Bastille itself. Today it’s a huge Ferris wheel that stands above everything for the Christmas holidays.

We pass by the French Automobile Association Headquarters and into Rue Boissy d’Anglas. The end of the street is closed off with a barrier and a rising bollard watched over by a Gendarme with a semi - automatic type weapon. On the corner is the American Embassy – need I say more?

Our hotel, the Sofitel, is located halfway along the street and life goes on as normal with cafes spilling into the street with their heated pavilions for winter customers.

This is a night time shot. The little Westie bottom centre was called Maggie.

When we arrive the lobby area is still decorated for Christmas. It is so beautifully done.

Darrin checks in at the front desk:

They are putting us in the attic! What I mean is that our suite is on two levels. Since the revolution all buildings have never been allowed to be more than 7 storeys high in the central areas of the city. (The reason its streets are so straight is because Haussman, the architect designed them so that cannon could be fired on rioting crowds but buildings would not be damaged.) This is about to change and I fear it will be to the detriment of the city. However, the entrance to our suite is on level 7. You enter into a lounge area with TV, internet, minibar etc.

You then descend to the 6th floor where you find the Superking bed (I so need one), fitted wardrobes, second TV and then through glass veranda type doors to the bathroom. It’s lovely.

We acn almost look across the rooftops of Paris and the courtyard within the hotel was covered with a glass roof at ground level to create the lobby area:

Once our cases have been delivered we set off into the city. We had planned to go over to the Bastille area but it’s drizzling and there is sleet in it. Where we wanted to go isn’t condusive with the weather. We need lunch so we decide to walk up the street along the Rue St Honore and past Rue Royale with its Hermes, Gucci and Prada shops towards the Madeleine.

The Madeleine is a massive church – Edith Piaf’s funeral was held here some years ago.

We walk up towards the Garnier Opera House area. Should you ever be in Paris, do visit this theatre which was built for Napoleon III (He died before its completion). It’s stunning but you won’t find any Phantom. That was a literary creation of Gaston Leroux.

(Library pic)

We are headed to Galeries Lafayette.

Starting in 1893 as a small haberdashery and novelty store it expanded to this wonderful establishment which opened in 1912 on the corner of rue La Fayette and rue de la Chaussée d’Antin in Paris. It has many other branches around the world such as Dubai and Jakarta. It is how I remember department stores of my youth where the upper floors are balconies around a huge open space. Lewis’s in Manchester was like that until they filled it all in and ruined it.

Above all this is a magnificent glass dome rising to a height of 43 metres which soon became the iconic symbol of Galeries Lafayette. Master glass-maker Jacques Gruber was responsible for designing the Neo-byzantine style stained glass windows.

After the Eiffel Tower this is the second most visited place in all of Paris.

We have lunch on the top floor and what a selection there is. We decide on chacuterie plates for each of us. For dessert I have a fresh pineapple and coconut cream affair which tastes like a Pina Colada and Darrin goes with a Mille Feuille which was correctly constructed unlike the flat over sweet things we get in the U.K.

Outside it’s misty and I get an atmospheric photo through the window of the Eiffel Tower across the city.

So, we shop in this palace of wonders. It even has a Disney store with some stuff geared to the French market like the little Mickey & Minnie Tsum Tsums. Some characters have different names – Snow White is Blanche Neige, Rapunzel is Raiponce and the latest, Moana, becomes Viaana. There has also been an almighty row about the film’s dubbing into French – the argument being that it should be done by French speaking Polynesians! I bow to Belle and try on a Mickey bobble hat.

Having done the main store we then head to the men’s store – “Homme” – 3 floors of fashion - Dsquared, Emporio Armani, Lacoste, Sandro and Vivienne Westwood as well as high end names like Cartier, Carven and Burberry Prorsum.

I treat myself to some L’Envon de Cartier eau de toilette. Darrin tries gloves and scarves but decides against a purchase.

There is a third store now facing the main Galeries which is all food. You just won’t believe the stuff you can buy in here to delight your mouth. We find a range of teas – Kusmi and the Anastasia is one superb Earl Grey type with a citrus edge. They have an extensive “Cave” with wines that would make your eyes water price wise.

These are € 2,400 a bottle (£ 2,064)!

Time for a coffee and some cake.

We find a little place and have to wait a few minutes for a table to come free. I have a cappuccino and Darrin has a “café simple” – just a wonderful single shot of fabulous Arabica coffee made only as the French can. Now we have twelfth night but to the French the following day, 6th January is the Feast of the Epiphany. To celebrate they make a galette des Rois which is a puff pastry affair with almond and apricot. This celebrates the arrival of the 3 Kings at the nativity. Paper crowns are handed out to children. (That’s the reason we have paper crowns in our crackers). I enjoy it but Darrin declares that it’s like Congress Tart without the jam!

We have a night out tonight so we need to get back to our hotel to get washed and changed. We walk back through the Village Royale where the Christmas decorations are still up – a clever use of red lamp shades and a forest of trees.

We have a table booked at the famous Lido on the Champs Elysees. In the past I have visited the Folies Bergeres which was a great show but has been ruined as these days it’s just stand up comedians or the odd concert. I have also visited the Moulin Rouge – grossly over priced and over rated. The Lido doesn’t disappoint.

We start with a meal at 7p.m. Dress code is SMART casual – some folk have a strange way of defining that judging by one or two that arrive. We have booth all to ourselves and a great elevated view of the stage.

For this kind of establishment the food standard is amazing and it includes a bottle of champagne - decent stuff unlike the battery acid we got at the Moulin Rouge.

The meal - we chose the Triomphe manu:

Starters were Foie Gras (the actual liver is poached and pan fried - not a pate) with hot wine,poached pears and figs and a spiced tuille:

Mains were Tournedos steaks done rosé - with peppers, gnocchi and a spinach and mussel salad accompanied witha Parmesan tuille - stunningly juicy and delicious:

Dessert - Volute of chocolate with mango pureé and vanilla sorbet:

The show starts at 9p.m. and is heavily Parisienne in its theming.

That said, the technical side of things are outstanding. They use large rear screens which enhance the sets as well as projection on the curtains. The stage itself has a section that can open up and from this appears a skating rink, working fountains and at one point a massive chandelier which holds some eight women!

The costumes are dazzling, the dancing superb and the lead singer is reminiscent of Amy Winehouse with a magnificent voice. We sit in awe at the spectacle which is nearly two hours long.
We catch the Metro back to Concorde and we are tucked up in bed by midnight.

A fabulous evening. I feel I have now celebrated my birthday.

INDEX: https://DIBB.in/12205828

Edited at 10:47 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 17, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Geoff. A good start to day 2. As you say the lounge was a bit of a let down!
Nice trip and a lovely hotel.
Your food looked stunning, especially the steaks. £2K for wine!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 11:04 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

An other great day the food looks amazing
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 17, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

A great way to celebrate your birthday. Thanks for sharing. 😘

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Geoff. Just had another read of this and studied the photos more.

Breakfast on the train. I see they served President butter. Is this 'special'? Reason I ask is my late Mum absolutely insisted on it and sent me all over Cardiff to source it
Those Ladies in the chandelier. Am I right in saying they don't seem to be wearing much?
The glass dome at Galeries Lafayette is awesome isn't it.
A great Birthday.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We love the Lido too, and the other one we really enjoyed is the Paradis Latin. Fantastic show but slightly packed like sardines if you are just having champagne and show.
Disney_time is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Great day. My DHs eyes would be popping out at the ladies in the show!
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great day with some fantastic looking food

Joan
Old 13 Jan 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Really enjoyed reading about your birthday weekend. I'm feeling exceptionally jealous at the moment as I am on a diet, you seem to have 3 breakfasts on Saturday! It all looked wonderful, a truly special treat. Happy belated birthday x

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 17, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Sounds fantastic, it's making me hungry. You look different Geoff. I hope you don't think this cheeky but you look slimmer.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List