Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 21, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessie2012
Very Serious Dibber

Our uniform is really reasonable,only need a logo sweatshirt and PE T-shirt.As a teacher,I totally agree with a uniform,on non-uniform days it is very easy to identify those children from families who don’t have as much money as others,and wear the same clothes,often very worn and too small,every time. I think that these families would struggle to find different clothes for their child to wear every day if we didn’t have a uniform.We also have a hardship fund to support low income families with uniform,coat and shoes.
Jessie2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jessie2012 View Post
Our uniform is really reasonable,only need a logo sweatshirt and PE T-shirt.As a teacher,I totally agree with a uniform,on non-uniform days it is very easy to identify those children from families who don’t have as much money as others,and wear the same clothes,often very worn and too small,every time. I think that these families would struggle to find different clothes for their child to wear every day if we didn’t have a uniform.We also have a hardship fund to support low income families with uniform,coat and shoes.
Is this primary school ?

My cousin was a teacher in secondary school in Bermondsey and they switched the uniform to joggers and polo shirts as for some kids school uniform was their only set of clothes.

Edited at 08:33 PM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

I’m still in shock at the amount people spend on school uniform.

When my DD started primary school 2 years ago, I bought 1 weeks worth of uniform (reception didn’t need PE kit,) total cost was £45. I didn’t buy logo’d clothes, although they are available, as I just didn’t see the point and they are expensive for what they are. When she went back for 5 weeks last summer I bought 4 summer dresses. Last year I topped up to 2 weeks worth of uniform, and got some PE kit, and after Easter bought some more summer dresses. In between this I did replace some polo shirts and cardigans.

Before the school broke up in the summer, they operated a swap shop. I sent in a load of clothes that didn’t fit anymore, and we could order out of it as well. I got 2 pinafores and 2 cardigans with logos (I didn’t ask for logo ones,) which I’m now feeling quite smug about. I’ve also bought for this term some new polo shirts and PE kits.

In total, excluding shoes, I reckon I’ve spent around £90 in total on uniform since she started school in 2019.

To make it even better the school are buying logo’d PE kit for everyone, which we will all get FOC, I expect we’ll get it just before the half term holidays. They tried to do it last year but didn’t manage it.

EDIT: what annoyed me this year is that I’ve replaced some uniform, namely polo shirts, and we have 2 weeks of uniform. Last year kids had PE once a week, and were going to school in PE Kit. The school has decided to keep PE days this year, so kids go in their kit for the day, except the day before term started, we were informed it would be twice a week. I wouldn’t have bought so many new polos or new tights if I knew she would only be in them for half the week.
2026 - maybe...

Edited at 08:54 PM.
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessie2012
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Is this primary school ?

My cousin was a teacher in secondary school in Bermondsey and they switched the uniform to joggers and polo shirts as for some kids school uniform was their only set of clothes.
Aww,that’s so sad.It is a primary school,so I know it is more reasonable than secondary school. We have also done lots of second hand uniform sales at school but the families don’t come as they won’t buy second hand-such a shame as it was decent stuff!

Edited at 08:49 PM.
Jessie2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bolto6 View Post
I’m still in shock at the amount people spend on school uniform.
Primary uniform is peanuts compared to high school.

My eldest started high school this year and we’re in the £300 range. That’s with black trousers and white shirts being from Asda. As others have mentioned, the logo’d PE kit is what’s bumped the cost up a huge amount as in addition to the basic PE kit and trainers they have to have football boots and rugby top which added a further £50 to the overall cost. However, I will concede that two items (one PE and one day wear) I’ve bought are non mandatory so that was another £60 by choice. I could have brought it in for under £200 had the jumper and hoody not being bought and the rugby top and football boots not being required.
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jessie2012 View Post
Aww,that’s so sad.It is a primary school,so I know it is more reasonable than secondary school. We have also done lots of second hand uniform sales at school but the families don’t come as they won’t buy second hand-such a shame as it was decent stuff!
Primary school was cheap all from M and S most expensive thing was football boots. Oh and a school fleece that was logos which was optional
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
My daughters High school has a great uniform. Black trousers (can be plain black jeans). White logo polo shirt and blue logo hoody.
They all wear it as it’s comfy and it’s relatively inexpensive.
They do also have PE kit which I bought in Year 9 (first year ) and was used for three years.

Sixth form is much more expensive as they can wear what they like so need a wider variety of clothes.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Whilst this may be practised north of the border it’s not the same here.

My daughters blazer for example was £32 the same blazer for the local comp is £60. All of the schools here have the uniform and its supplied either by the school or the schools shop.

To suggest it’s because parents allow it is silly, these are the school rules not the parents rules and all schools in our area are the same.

I don’t think there is any need for uniforms in this day and age.
Of course the elitist nonsense happens in all four nations, other posters have said so.

Parents do allow the schools to set the uniform rules as they are agreed by Parent/Teacher Councils, Governors or whichever group of parents help set school policy.

It would be interesting to know what your local comprehensive school's total uniform cost is, if you are paying, £400 for your daughters's.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

My sons uniform is a very specific colour so it all has to be bought from the school uniform shop... even the socks! He is a senior prefect this year so now doesn't have to wear a blazer but has to wear a distinctive prefect jumper, which just so happens to be as expensive as the blazer was.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
Of course the elitist nonsense happens in all four nations, other posters have said so.

Parents do allow the schools to set the uniform rules as they are agreed by Parent/Teacher Councils, Governors or whichever group of parents help set school policy.

It would be interesting to know what your local comprehensive school's total uniform cost is, if you are paying, £400 for your daughters's.
I disagree that it is set for that reason. I am a trustee of 9 schools and we have nothing to do with the uniform policy this is set by school management and is not managed by any parent body any more than the cost of school dinners or the choice of music lesson suppliers are.

I only know the cost of the blazer as my cousins kids are there and it is more than my daughters.

The thing than annoys me the most is the initials having to be printed on all sports kit making hand my downs difficult.