Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 15 Aug 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Vancouver and Vancouver Island advice

I am currently planning our back up holiday for if/when our end of September trip to Chicago is cancelled.
I've just secured some very reasonable flights and car to Vancouver for 10 nights with BA but that's as far as I've got!

Looking at a rough itinerary of 3 nights Vancouver and 7 on VI, would this be ok? Enough time in both? Could we squeeze in 1 night in Whistler as it doesn't look far.
A friend recommended Campbell River and Tofino as 2 places to stay on VI, should we split our week there between those two? Also seen Nanaimo on the East and Ucluelet on the West coast, would they be better locations? Will probably AirBnB our accommodation although not averse to hotel stays either.
Apologies for the 20 questions!

I should mention that the above is all hinging on Canada opening up to International tourists on the 7th September

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I will watch this with interest, as BC/Alberta including VI is one of my two ideas for next summer
Old 15 Aug 21, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
pinktraceb
slightly serious Dibber

pinktraceb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
I've heard good things about Tofino. Although when we went to VI it was about a 3/4 hour drive from Victoria. So although it doesn't look far, it is!

We stayed in Victoria and Sooke when we went to VI. It's beautiful!
The Bacon's Go Back May 2015
Ramada Gateway & OKW 2017
pinktraceb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 21, 06:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed at Ucluelet when we stayed. We also visited Tofino. Both are lovely (Tofino is perhaps slightly more upmarket) so go with wherever you find accommodation you prefer!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 21, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh and we loved VI - one of my favorite places ever. We stayed 6 nights at Ucluelet and could have happily spent longer.

We also went to Whistler but it is quite commercialized so I wouldn’t necessarily bother!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I will watch this with interest, as BC/Alberta including VI is one of my two ideas for next summer
I've always wanted to visit both Vancouver and VI so if the Canadian borders open I'll not be too upset we can't get to Chicago!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by pinktraceb View Post
I've heard good things about Tofino. Although when we went to VI it was about a 3/4 hour drive from Victoria. So although it doesn't look far, it is!

We stayed in Victoria and Sooke when we went to VI. It's beautiful!
Thank you, I've not heard of Sooke so will check it out. We may even add a night on to stay in Victoria so we are not too far away from getting the ferry back to Vancouver

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 18 Aug 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We stayed at Ucluelet when we stayed. We also visited Tofino. Both are lovely (Tofino is perhaps slightly more upmarket) so go with wherever you find accommodation you prefer!
Ok fab, I'll check out what AirBnB has to offer for both. We'll probably be guided by price

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Oh and we loved VI - one of my favorite places ever. We stayed 6 nights at Ucluelet and could have happily spent longer.

We also went to Whistler but it is quite commercialized so I wouldn’t necessarily bother!
Ok that's good to hear, my OH would prefer to ski in Whistler so we may leave that one for a Winter holiday

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 18 Aug 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

!

We were due to go 23 August so 7 September put paid to that - for 2nd year running!

We aimed to stay in Vancouver 3 nights then VI for 7 before taking the ferry to Port Angeles for road trip onwards. I'm extending VI to 8 nights when I book to go back so that we have 3 nights in Victoria instead of 2.

We had planned 1 night Nanaimo after getting ferry late afternoon, 3 nights Ucleulet, 1 night Parksville and 2 in Victoria. Have already booked Victoria for next September

Hope you get to go!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 21, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
We were due to go 23 August so 7 September put paid to that - for 2nd year running!

We aimed to stay in Vancouver 3 nights then VI for 7 before taking the ferry to Port Angeles for road trip onwards. I'm extending VI to 8 nights when I book to go back so that we have 3 nights in Victoria instead of 2.

We had planned 1 night Nanaimo after getting ferry late afternoon, 3 nights Ucleulet, 1 night Parksville and 2 in Victoria. Have already booked Victoria for next September

Hope you get to go!
Thank you Anji this is very useful!
With today’s news we are hopeful we will get there next month. I’m gutted yours got cancelled again. Won’t it be nice that one day when we go to book our flights that we get to actually look forward to the holiday rather than the will we/won’t we!

Random question but what kind of things were you planning on doing whilst in Vancouver and VI?
I need to get my butt into gear and plan. We only have 10 nights altogether so obviously won’t be able to do everything

IG - alicialanesmith