Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Aug 21, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
There is no logic in that at all.. and it looks brilliant.

People forget just how cheap internal flights (and AMTRAC) can be.. particularly if there are two of you.
Using miles for the internals meant the entire trip cost about £350 for all the flights travelling the end of August, a few years ago but the principle remains the same . I always claim miles whoever I’m flying with as you never know when they will come in handy .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Amtrak from Penn also takes you to Boston in 4 hours, beautiful scenery running along the coast and the great thing is straight from central Manhattan into central Boston.
We did that one the other way around in 2019.. Boston S to Penn.. lovely journey and $130 or so for the four of us. As you say, Central Boston to Central Manhattan in 4 hours.
You cannot do that by air, by the time you travel to airport, bag drop, security, boarding, flight, to baggage recovery, travel from airport etc (particularly in New York).
Seat pitch on the AMTRAC is around 60 inches.. as opposed to 28 on a regional flight and the seats rather generous.

The link is in my signature. It was our best vacation yet.

Edited at 08:08 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Great thread CFB - it is so interesting to hear about other Dibbers travel routes.

We have become more adventurous as time has gone by.

Our best US trip using internal flights was completed over three weeks - Las Vegas as a base for Grand Canyon and Red Rock. Flight to Salt Lake City - Yellowstone (want to return here at some point!), Flight to San Francisco and then drove down the coast road to Los Angeles.

Next year we are hoping to do Hawaii with a city break …. all dependent on where we can pick up the best flights to - quite fancy Boston 😊
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We did a west coast trip. Here's a rough itinerary

Flew to San Francisco (3 nights) - Alcatraz, SF Zoo, Pier 39, Cable Cars
Drove to Monterey (3 nights) - Whale watching, sea safari, kayaking tour, Monterey Aquarium
Drove to Santa Barbara (just a stopover) - via Elephant Seals, McWay Falls and other PCH sights
Drove to Vegas (3 nights) - usual Vegas things + ice hockey game
Drove back to LA Area (stopover) then Six Flags Magic Mountain
After Six Flags we stayed on The Queen Mary
Drove to San Diego (6 nights) - Sea World, SD Zoo, SD Safari Park, USS Midway, Biplane flight, ice hockey game.
Flew home from LAX.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
Great thread CFB - it is so interesting to hear about other Dibbers travel routes.

We have become more adventurous as time has gone by.

Our best US trip using internal flights was completed over three weeks - Las Vegas as a base for Grand Canyon and Red Rock. Flight to Salt Lake City - Yellowstone (want to return here at some point!), Flight to San Francisco and then drove down the coast road to Los Angeles.

Next year we are hoping to do Hawaii with a city break …. all dependent on where we can pick up the best flights to - quite fancy Boston 😊
That is very kind of you!

I figured that many of us have some great experiences to share that are other than Orlando based and that there is no coherent way to discuss them, those experiences being so widespread and varied.
I am hopeful that links to other threads, trippies, pre trippies etc will spawn from this thread and we can all pick up some great ideas from each other that we may not have previously considered.

Boston was fantastic, by the way.. a little pricey, but an amazing experience.. and we never even scratched the surface on our trip!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
We did a west coast trip. Here's a rough itinerary

Flew to San Francisco (3 nights) - Alcatraz, SF Zoo, Pier 39, Cable Cars
Drove to Monterey (3 nights) - Whale watching, sea safari, kayaking tour, Monterey Aquarium
Drove to Santa Barbara (just a stopover) - via Elephant Seals, McWay Falls and other PCH sights
Drove to Vegas (3 nights) - usual Vegas things + ice hockey game
Drove back to LA Area (stopover) then Six Flags Magic Mountain
After Six Flags we stayed on The Queen Mary
Drove to San Diego (6 nights) - Sea World, SD Zoo, SD Safari Park, USS Midway, Biplane flight, ice hockey game.
Flew home from LAX.
Other than the Vegas bit, that is very similar indeed to my 2018 trip. We are hopeful of Vegas in our now thrice cancelled, next West Coast.. along with Hoover Dam, Canyon South Rim, Tucson, the desert boneyard, Winslow (Eagles song) and most of all.. Tombstone for the gunfight at the OK Coral re-enactment.

A highlight for me was a walk along the beach at the Tijuana/Mexico border.. and a night on the RMS Queen Mary.. particularly drinks in the Art Deco bar!

Edited at 08:40 AM.
Old 23 Aug 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Other than the Vegas bit, that is very similar indeed to my 2018 trip. We are hopeful of Vegas in our now thrice cancelled, next West Coast.. along with Hoover Dam, Canyon South Rim, Tucson, the desert boneyard, Winslow (Eagles song) and most of all.. Tombstone for the gunfight at the OK Coral re-enactment.

A highlight for me was a walk along the beach at the Tijuana/Mexico border.. and a night on the RMS Queen Mary.. particularly drinks in the Art Deco bar!
Glad we managed to stay on The Queen Mary before it closed
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

As you know I had a similar trip planned a couple of weeks behind you. Current challenge is to use the credit for PE from London transferred so we can use it for Dublin Atlanta and Vegas to Dublin in business next May as its only £200 pp more ! AA are claiming I’m only entitled to credit and it must depart from the U.K. but as it was the BA codeshare cancelled by BA I’m actually entitled to a full refund not credit so I’ve given them the choice, open up the credit or refund me (there’s actually a slightly cheaper option with United) .
Worst scenario I’ll book it with BA for deposit only and take iAA to small claims or claim via the CC.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
I've now cancelled (twice) a chicago to new york trip.

Plan was
Fly to Chicago for 3 nights
Amtrak Wolverine to Detroit
5 nights with my brother in Lake Orion
Internal flight to New York
3 nights in New York before flying home
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews

I love your posts. They’re always so interesting. Lots of great suggestions from other posters too.
You might fancy Pioneertown if it fits your itinerary. We went a few years ago, when they used to do a little show. We drove from Anaheim to Palm Springs (hotel for 2 nights). Aerial Tramway etc. Then drove via the Joshua Tree park ( I just wanted to see one - thanks to U2) to San Diego but I think it’s sort of enroute to Tucson.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List