Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Sep 21, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Manhattan isnt as big as you may suspect so anywhere central ish will be close/walkable to most attractions north of empire state/union square (WTC / staue f liberty subway or walk down throught the neighbourhoods)

Can recommend Omni Berkshire Place , 21 E 52nd St great location 2 mins from 5th Ave / St Patricks

EDIT

can that seems to be have closed due to pandemic

luxurytraveladvisor/...hotel-to-close

Edited at 04:07 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessie2012
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I hate Times Square so stayed away. Awful place to me, but appreciate many like it. Just be aware if you haven’t been it’s unbelievably busy with lots of scammers etc. One guy got aggressive with me and my son calling me racist when he tried to sell me a CD when I said ‘no thanks’ and I was polite/ stupid enough to stop and talk to him- ignore these scammers and just keep walking. There was a gang of them operating in the area, it was very intimidating. I wouldn’t go back after that, they were the lowest of the low getting aggressive even though my son was 10 years old. I walked over to the police and they scarpered. Must work with many.
Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea was very nice and in a quiet road but close to a lot.
Thank you for the heads up!
Jessie2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I’m also not too fond of the Times Square area to stay in, just because I don’t want to deal with the noise and chaos every time we leave / enter the hotel. That said, having a room with a view of Times Square is an epic experience We stayed at the Doubletree Times Square.

We’ve also stayed at the New Yorker (great location but didn’t like the hotel), a cheap holiday inn in Lower East Side (area was a bit more sketchy than I’d realised and I probably wouldn’t stay there again).

My favourite area now is near Grand Central where you can walk to most places and also are well connected transport wise. We loved the Affinia Shelburne which had a really quiet (sleep wise) location.

PS all my stays have been for under £100/night, if your budget stretches further there will be better choices

Edited at 08:34 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I’m also not too fond of the Times Square area to stay in, just because I don’t want to deal with the noise and chaos every time we leave / enter the hotel. That said, having a room with a view of Times Square is an epic experience We stayed at the Doubletree Times Square.

We’ve also stayed at the New Yorker (great location but didn’t like the hotel), a cheap holiday inn in Lower East Side (area was a bit more sketchy than I’d realised and I probably wouldn’t stay there again).

My favourite area now is near Grand Central where you can walk to most places and also are well connected transport wise. We loved the Affinia Shelburne which had a really quiet (sleep wise) location.

PS all my stays have been for under £100/night, if your budget stretches further there will be better choices
To be fair, a lot of the “times square” hotels aren’t even in Times Square!
The Sheraton is a block or two away 😂
Times Square has definitely got worse over the years and I wasn’t keen on our last visit which was 5 years ago but as a starting point it’s pretty central to get to most places.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

This thread made me go back and look at my old pics from 2011 , this was our view from the Novotel Times Square, still my favourite hotel there as it’s just a door on the street and then you go into a lift and it opens out into a beautiful lobby .
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessie2012
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
This thread made me go back and look at my old pics from 2011 , this was our view from the Novotel Times Square, still my favourite hotel there as it’s just a door on the street and then you go into a lift and it opens out into a beautiful lobby .
Wow,it looks amazing,just booked our flights today with Virgin,using an open ticket.
Jessie2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Times Square and it was fabulous.

Great location, step in from the street and go straight up the escalator, once in our room we never heard a peep from outside and our room was a good size.

As YT said there are groups of guys trying to give you a copy of their music cd and if you accept it they want money, definitely best to either ignore them or say no thanks and walk on, don’t stop to speak to them.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
assos
VIP Dibber

I've stayed at the Ameritania twice and loved it both times. The location is brilliant as well - especially if you want to see the Late Show while you're there - it's literally next door to the Ed Sullivan Theatre!
Old 15 Sep 21, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

The Knickerbocker just off Times Square is beautiful. It’s just a few steps from Bryant Park. The rooms are big with gorgeous bathrooms. The rooftop bar overlooking the Times Square ball is fantastic. We normally stay every year for the US Open and many of the top players stay at the hotel too.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier but a lot if not all the hotels in NY have a daily fee, around $35 per day, payable on arrival.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List