Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 21, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

School Uniform

I am wondering what the benefits from the current school uniform policy is and whether it needs to be changed or perhaps removed.

DD has a blazer, pleated kilt, specific (ish) shoes, a tie, shirt (embroided) and school coat and bag not to mention about 3 different PE kits. I think we spent around £400 on uniform thsi year.

I notice that all schools seem to have a similar dress code without perhaps the coat and bag is this really necessary and what is the advantages ?

Italy, France, Germany and the US generally dont have school uniforms are they so much worse than us ?

Ties in particular are going the same way as bowler hats so why should kids wear something that cause injury ?

I know that there is an argument that it makes all kids the same but it doesn't there is a difference in hand me downs and new and shoes and also with the cost of uniform I think that it woudl be better spent for kids from less well off backgrounds getting more clothes that they can spend leisure time in.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

There were supposed to have been changes to this for the 2021/2022 school year but it's coming next year instead. A new law was passed earlier this year to try to make uniform more affordable - bbc/news/business-58359541
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Our daughters school uniform is expensive but our sons is eye-watering. He's at a boarding school though so I guess expected.

I can see why they do the uniform thing but I do think they need to make prices a lot more affordable.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I like the smartness of the uniform but I agree that is is too expensive. It will be interesting to see what impact the new guidelines have.

Our primary school required logos on the jumper / cardigan only and you could buy shirts, trousers and skirts anywhere just in the right colour. To cut the cost of the cardigans and jumpers, they started selling logo badges that could be sewn on to any blue item, enabling you to buy from a cheaper source than the supermarket shop.

Secondary require a blazer, which is expensive but ours have lasted 3-4 years(!) and given they are worn daily, I'm pretty impressed with that.

It's the sports kit that I find adds up as that is all with logos and all expensive, especially when you add in trainers and football boots.

Just remembered that Both schools have outgrown uniform collections and sales, which is a great way to get hold of items - usually in very good condition - for free or very very cheaply

Edited at 09:58 AM.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

The positives of uniform for me are:

No competition from kids. You will always get those who can afford the in trend brands and those who can’t. A uniform creates a more equal playing field.

No deciding every day about what to wear.

No children coming into school in inappropriate outfits. I’ve seen it happen so many times on non school uniform day where children come in in micro skirts and crop tops and it’s minus 5 outside. Just why?

Easier to spot when out and about of school grounds.

The tie isn’t an issue for DS as they have clip on ties.

Those are just my initial thoughts on positives for wearing uniform.👍🏻

Edited to add: DS uniform seems really cheap in comparison to some quoted. I got two jumpers, tie plus all his pe kit for sub £100. He doesn’t need a blazer and I buy his shirts and trousers from supermarket or next. How are these uniforms costing £400+ ?

Edited at 10:05 AM.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Our secondary's uniform is a white shirt (any white shirt), black trousers or skirt (jeans are acceptable), black shoes or trainers (all black), school jumper with the school logo (green for y7-9, grey y10-11, black y12-13), and a tie (6th form has a different tie to the younger years). Any school bag.

They *say* they're strict on it, but they're not.

They're probably the least strict on uniform in our County (4 secondary schools on Anglesey).
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post

No competition from kids. You will always get those who can afford the in trend brands and those who can’t. A uniform creates a more equal playing field.

No children coming into school in inappropriate outfits. I’ve seen it happen so many times on non school uniform day where children come in in micro skirts and crop tops and it’s minus 5 outside. Just why?

Edited to add: DS uniform seems really cheap in comparison to some quoted. I got two jumpers, tie plus all his pe kit for sub £100. He doesn’t need a blazer and I buy his shirts and trousers from supermarket or next. How are these uniforms costing £400+ ?
I used to have similar views until I moved DS to a non uniform private school as he started year 9. It was the one reservation I had about the school but it was a complete non issue.

The only rules were no offensive logos and no expanses of skin.
The kids all wore jeans with t shirts or sweatshirts, trying too hard was considered deeply uncool .
Income wise it was a mixed bag from parents who struggled with the fees to overseas borders , it didn’t seem to make a difference.
I saw more in appropriate outfits at his previous school, non uniform/mufti/Baker days were a nightmare and made your eyeballs hurt (I worked there for a bit)
I think I’ve decided no uniform just means one less thing to rebel against
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post

I've just totted up my sons sports kit only, which has to be bought from the uniform shop as items have logos on:

Rugby top - £20
Hoodie - £16
Tshirt - £12
Shorts - £10
Training trousers - £22

That totals £80.

Added to that is trainers, football boots, football socks, shin pads, gum shield and a sports bag.

So that's perhaps and additional £50?

The uniform is cheaper with the only uniform shop items being:
blazer - £35
Tie- £6.50

Need to add on shirts, trousers, shoes, rucksack

So no where near £300 to 400 but expensive nonetheless. But it's worn everyday and I agree with the list of benefits posted further up.

It's the logoed items that do it!

Oh and we also have to take in a tennis racket in summer!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

I 💯 agree with uniforms you should get 2 years out of a blazer and PE kit and possibly skirts if all treated correctly as in blazer hung up as soon as home, shirts jumpers shoes yes yearly, do you really need to replace the complete uniform when at senior school I know I don’t.

Edited at 10:40 AM.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
I've just totted up my sons sports kit only, which has to be bought from the uniform shop as items have logos on:

Rugby top - £20
Hoodie - £16
Tshirt - £12
Shorts - £10
Training trousers - £22

That totals £80.

Added to that is trainers, football boots, football socks, shin pads, gum shield and a sports bag.

So that's perhaps and additional £50?

The uniform is cheaper with the only uniform shop items being:
blazer - £35
Tie- £6.50

Need to add on shirts, trousers, shoes, rucksack

So no where near £300 to 400 but expensive nonetheless. But it's worn everyday and I agree with the list of benefits posted further up.

It's the logoed items that do it!

Oh and we also have to take in a tennis racket in summer!

Ours don’t have a separate rugby top and though I know they used to make them wear joggers with a logo on that has now changed and they can wear any black ones.

We were lucky in that we have oodles of shin pads and football boots (some are like new) of every size as DS16 has been playing football since he was 8. DS12 just wears his brothers on the odd times that he’s needed them for school.

I don’t replace his full uniform every year. I replace things as and when they are needed.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List