Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 27 Aug 21, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMemories
Apprentice Imagineer

Bank holiday weekend in Cornwall

Hello,
I thought I’d have a little practice at a TR before hopefully I attempt a dining TR in Feb (think we’ve had 6 Florida holidays cancelled - sob).

We are: DH and I (40s) DD 7 and DS 10 and booked to stay at the Bedruthan in Magwan Porth but decided to break up the drive and stay in Devon the night before - booked a PI @ Tiverton as this was the only hotel with availability.

We have stayed at the Bedruthan before, it’s very family friendly, lots of children’s activities, a spa, plus lovely food.
We were conscious of the rising covid rates in Cornwall but it’s very easy to socially distance at the Bedruthan with bookable slots for pools and activities plus I love you can walk to the beach so no need to use public loos (the horror well apart from Disney loos - obviously they are different). Plus I test twice weekly for work anyway and we were very mindful of not causing problems and being super considerate.

2 weeks before our stay, we received a phone call to say the restaurant’s were closed - yep due to the dreaded C19. We were offered a discount or full refund. After a small debate - we felt we needed the time away and we’d manage with fish and chips if need be and take aways. Breakfast was still being provided. I felt so sorry for the staff, I got the impression some people weren’t very understanding, I think we are so stressed and fed up that little things tend to annoy more. Well I guess food is a big thing and disappointing not to have the holiday you thought you’d have but really not a disaster. Anyway, we knew we’d manage if we took loads of lovely snacks and the bar was still open… Bookable pool slots, a spa, a bar and staying in one of favourite hotels - still so many wins imo

I only decided to write a TR today - so I’m lacking photos in Tiverton - I’ll get better.

Next stop - 1st stay for all of us - 1 night in Tiverton.
DisneyMemories is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
jovimum
Helping Minnie

I live in Cornwall and have stayed at The Bethruthan and loved it!
You are right the covid rate is high. This is the busiest i have seen everywhere since moving 16 years ago. Be prepared to queue for most things, especially food.
Old 28 Aug 21, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We stayed at the Park in Mawgan Porth last year and loved it. The fish and chip shop opposite the beach was great, as was the food at the pub next door (I had pineapple cider there - yum).
Mortimer Mouse is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mortimer Mouse View Post
We stayed at the Park in Mawgan Porth last year and loved it. The fish and chip shop opposite the beach was great, as was the food at the pub next door (I had pineapple cider there - yum).
I feel i need to try pineapple cider! 🍺
Old 28 Aug 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMemories
Apprentice Imagineer

@Jovimum it’s not too busy here but we did struggle for food on Friday.
@mortimermouse we’ve had fish and chips from there before, delicious, I’ve sampled a few ciders too 😀
DisneyMemories is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMemories
Apprentice Imagineer

We arrived in Tiverton around 1200 and headed straight to a Knightshayes, which is a National trust property.
We were all a but hungry despite snacking in the car so popped in the cafe for a pastie, sausage roll, tuna baguette and 2 smoothies. This was around £20, sat outside in the gorgeous grounds.
The buildings were impressive - very Harry Potter ish or in grown up terms, gothic 😀.
DH and I are now at an age where we quite like a garden and the DC tolerate a stroll through these. They enjoyed the woodlands and several mazes including a rope activity maze. We all enjoyed our visit and would happily pop on again if we were passing.

We left around 1630, the parking at the PI was in a next door multi story, cost £10 for 24 hours. Would be slightly tricky if you had lots of luggage.
Unfortunately, I had been unable to book dinner as they had limited staffing so we wondered into town which was just a few minutes walk. We only found one Italian open which the DC didn’t fancy so we popped in the M&S next to the PI. We had an assortment of salads, picky bits plus cakes, which although lovely, we’d have preferred dinner out. Staff were happy for us to eat at the tables, which was lovely of them.
We were all tired so played a few games of dobble then off to zzz.
Aiming for an early start tomorrow.

Edited at 09:30 PM.
Old 28 Aug 21, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMemories
Apprentice Imagineer

Tried to post pics - will try again !

Edited at 07:21 AM. Reason: Adding pics