Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 14 Oct 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Flying from Heathrow - advice on hotels and parking

After booking flights last night, we'll be flying from Heathrow for the first time (BA, terminal 5).

For parking, is there a car park that's next to/within easy walking distance of terminal 5, similar to the multistorey at Manchester?

For the Premier Inn, is the terminal 5 one the best option? Are there any hotels that are walking distance, similar to the Premier Inn at Gatwick?

Any other hints or tips when flying from Heathrow please?

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

The only walking distance hotel for T5 is the Sofitel, but it's pricey.

Luckily I managed to move my flights to LGW but I was planning to stay at PI T4 since it's walking distance of that terminal, then catching the free terminal transfer train from there. Although T4 is currently closed because it's the red list arrivals terminal so none of the transport is running, but was crossing fingers for it reopening soon due to so few red list countries now.

If you're concerned about that risk, I would book the T5 PI but you'll need to get a taxi or bus between the hotel and terminal.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

The Thistle Hotel has the pod parking and transport to T5. I’ve never used it but hoping to. It’s currently being used as a Red list hotel I think.
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

There is short stay parking opposite the terminal at T5, but obviously more expensive than other car parks.

The Pod parking mentioned above is usually between short stay and long stay in price, with transport via the pods to T5 (pods are currently not in service and buses being used, but should be back in a couple of weeks).

The Thistle Hotel, when open, does have access to the pods for transfer to T5, but the hotel always used to charge (I think £5 per person) to allow you through the gate to the pods (which are free themselves).

If you stay at the PI, you may want to consider off-airport parking. Not my area of expertise, as I always use the official car parks and hardly ever stay in hotels at LHR, but I think Purple Parking is next to the PI hotel and popular with people on here.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Stepaway
Serious Dibber

Following!

Hoping to book BA flights with a hotel package for the airport and none of the ones on the BA list looked that appealing. I was trying to decide if I should book as a throw away and stick with the trusty PI
Stepaway is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm booked overnight at Thistle hotel with parking for 16nights from 26th November. It is open and pod parking starts again on 21st October. Not one of the best hotels but so handy when pods running.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List