Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Oct 21, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi
Earning My Ears

Driving to Santa Monica help

Hi, just hoping someone can help or shed some light please.
I'm planning for next summer and will probably be booking The Garland for our stay in LA. I've just been checking out the drive times and routes for some of the things we are planning to do and I've noticed that when I use Google maps for a route to Santa Monica it tells me to do a Uturn on the 1, but when I look at the street view there's actually a sign right there saying no uturns 🤷
I can't really see another route, so can anyone reassure me that there's somewhere to turn please? Already starting to panic about the driving.
Jedi is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 05:09 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

Apple maps says go on the 101, then south on the 405, then west on the 10. That takes you to Santa Monica pier, and it shows parking just near there.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Hi - presumably that's to a specific place in Santa Monica that's giving you a u-turn instruction on the 1? Let us know where the destination is and pretty sure it won't be an issue. Also try the route on other apps/satnavs like Apple maps etc.

Typival best route given in previous post but a lot will depend on day and time of travelling as staying on the freeways isn't always the quickest.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by porridge View Post
Apple maps says go on the 101, then south on the 405, then west on the 10. That takes you to Santa Monica pier, and it shows parking just near there.
Hi, thanks for that, I'll check it out. Google doesn't seem to want to give me any route at all like that one!

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
Hi - presumably that's to a specific place in Santa Monica that's giving you a u-turn instruction on the 1? Let us know where the destination is and pretty sure it won't be an issue. Also try the route on other apps/satnavs like Apple maps etc.

Typival best route given in previous post but a lot will depend on day and time of travelling as staying on the freeways isn't always the quickest.
Thanks, I'd just put the destination as the big main parking lot that's right by the pier. It's sending me towards Malibu then a Uturn back on myself to be on the correct side of the road to get to the parking.
I was hoping Google maps would be ok as I was planning to use it for navigation while there. Might have to look into other options!

Edited at 01:59 PM.
Old 18 Oct 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Hi, thanks for that, I'll check it out. Google doesn't seem to want to give me any route at all like that one!

Thanks, I'd just put the destination as the big main parking lot that's right by the pier. It's sending me towards Malibu then a Uturn back on myself to be on the correct side of the road to get to the parking.
I was hoping Google maps would be ok as I was planning to use it for navigation while there. Might have to look into other options!
Personally I'd use waze over google maps - have used many times in LA.

I see what you mean about the u turn, and the problem is the I10 goes into a tunnel just before. Easiest to come off a junction earlier (put one of the other parking lots into google such as Lot 1 South). That will bring you off earlier and onto Appian Way where you can drive on and into the pier car parks.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

You can also take surface streets in LA, depending on the time of the day they may not add any time to the journey and at quite times the might but I loved taking Sunset all the way out to the ocean, took Pico all the way when we were stopping at the mall on the way. Just an idea if the driving is causing any stress.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Jedi
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I'll have a look at waze instead of Google, and definitely like the sound of using the surface streets instead. Cheers 👍
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I'll have a look at waze instead of Google, and definitely like the sound of using the surface streets instead. Cheers 👍
Get a hire car with driver assist and let it do the work - when I drive in LA its what I do these days (its fun too)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi
Earning My Ears

That sounds good, I'll look into it, thanks 😀
Old 19 Oct 21, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

That sounds good, I'll look into it, thanks 😀
Tesla are fun to “drive” in LA for sure - and are now the dominant cars to be seen there
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List