Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 26 Oct 21, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Zinderella
I have Ears

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I don’t think the refurb on the castle finishes for a while yet though, so currently it is under a scrim and you can’t go upstairs or downstairs.)
Darn it! Missed the October part of your posting! Ignore all that advice then (but possibly just come back for another visit lol? ). And totally agree with the OP that the surroundings are lovely and the walkthrou's are great, my fave is Nautilus.
Zinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Zinderella View Post
How exciting for you!

Whenever I am standing around waiting for one of my group to a) finish in the bathroom, b) get back from a ride I didn't go on c) wait with s'one who didn't want to go on a ride, d) eat in a restaurant I don't particularly like... I fantasise about a solo trip.

i think for me, a not-to-miss around the castle area is one of the things that makes DLP unique... we have a dragon under our castle! And she's beautiful but easy to miss if you don't realise where she is. Look out for the sign La Taniere du Dragon on the left-handside of the castle before you go over the bridge to go through the castle.

Also in the castle is the Christmas shop which I could spend hours and Euros in very easily, hahah. And if you've never been before, do go up the steps inside the castle and walk around the gallery. All of this is so easy to miss if you are just 'walking through' to get to Fantasyland and it is so so pretty
Oooh this is what I love hearing - the things that you wouldn’t necessarily find on your own, the little details 😊 thank you for this!
stacy87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

I don’t think the refurb on the castle finishes for a while yet though, so currently it is under a scrim and you can’t go upstairs or downstairs.

For me the main thing would be to wander and explore. Find things like the Aladdin walkthrough, Kaa and Zazu in Adventureland, Mr Frederickson and Russell by the river, WALL-E and Eve in Discoveryland. Explore Adventure Isle. See Philharmagic with the new Coco segment (before WDW get it!)
Thank you for this! I’ll make sure to spend time exploring all of these areas! I’m not so good with rollercoasters anyway, so likely won’t be going on too many (I have back issues), so that gives me so much time to explore 😊
stacy87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

I wouldn’t ask to take food away. It’s just not something I have ever encountered anywhere in Europe (including the UK) and it turns my stomach when I see it happening in the US. I just don’t find the thought of day-old restaurant food appetising.
I've never known anywhere having a problem with letting you take food away if you ask, both in the UK or Europe.
Done and seen it lots, why would it be an issue?
lovewdw is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Maybe it is just because DH works in catering and has told me more than I ever wanted to know…

It’s just not something I have ever seen. When I am on holiday I probably don’t have a fridge or a microwave, and eating out is part of the holiday. I certainly don’t want to eat yesterday’s pizza cold for lunch!

It just seems gross to me, as well as tacky. I would rather have a smaller portion and finish what I’m eating at the restaurant.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Maybe it is just because DH works in catering and has told me more than I ever wanted to know…

It’s just not something I have ever seen. When I am on holiday I probably don’t have a fridge or a microwave, and eating out is part of the holiday. I certainly don’t want to eat yesterday’s pizza cold for lunch!

It just seems gross to me, as well as tacky. I would rather have a smaller portion and finish what I’m eating at the restaurant.
Sorry I didn't mean to question why you have an issue with it, that's entirely your prerogative, I meant why would the restaurant have an issue with food being taken away (The only exception being a buffet for obvious reasons).
lovewdw is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by lovewdw View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to question why you have an issue with it, that's entirely your prerogative, I meant why would the restaurant have an issue with food being taken away (The only exception being a buffet for obvious reasons).
I don't know that they would have an issue with it, but it would certainly be a surprise.

A few years back we did the 'sparkling experience' in California Grill at DLP. It comprised an hour of cocktails in the Fantasia Bar, then a 5-course tasting menu with wines and coffee. Then you were taken up to the Founder's Bar for champagne and petits fours, and a balcony view of the Dreams show. The evening lasted over 3 hours.

By the time we got to the Founder's Bar we couldn't possibly eat the petits fours and so we asked if we could have them wrapped up to take back to the room. (There was no cream in them and nothing that would need to go in the fridge.)

The staff had clearly never been asked such a thing before and were completely thrown. They had no boxes or plastic containers, they could only wrap them in foil, which squashed them to bits.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Only just found this out (thanks google) , it's law in france that restaurants have to provide doggy bags to anyone asking for one, who knew?

france24/en/20160104...nts-food-waste

(I did check and the dates 4th January 2016 not 1st April :-) )
Old 26 Oct 21, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Gosh, I didn't know that!

I do know refillable drinks are supposedly against the law in France (to cut down on sugary drinks).
Old 27 Oct 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Zinderella
I have Ears

I guess we all have different backgrounds, upbringings, financial or health situations. Perhaps it's best to use the maxim, if you don't have anything nice to say (or constructive or helpful) then don't say anything at all.

In many cases in online forums we don't know someone's background and so personally, I read through what I write to check 'my own privilege' and personal assumptions.

In this case, the OP has told us she has a health issue, words like 'gross', 'tacky' and 'stomach turning' etc are judgemental and frankly offensive comments. I think most people use forums for help and advice not judgement on their choices?

You will notice the OP has not thanked you for this particular piece of wisdom, nor posted since you shared your views. Just because you are writing (publicly!) from your point of view does not excuse rudeness.
Zinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List