Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We are the Millers - Let's do Halloween! Sept/Oct 2019. Day 5

Day 4

I woke at 7.30am with Edith, the days of lie ins are long gone! I plodded around until 10am when everyone was finally ready to head out and we drove to the Vineland outlets. We parked up and head straight to the food court to the Character Warehouse. Having read about the queues of recent times, I was keen to see if this was the case. I had visited this exact store back in May and there wasn’t any issues with getting in. Sure enough, a queue looped around the block. Had it just been me, I’d have left it but Laura was keen to look in there for bits for Edith & her nephew who is a big Marvel fam. We queued for about 15 minutes to get in and about 20 minutes to pay once we had picked a few bits. Aaron lost the will to live very early on & left us to it. We bout a couple of Frozen dolls, a Groot hat, a Hat Box Ghost bottle opener, some Mickey head post it notes and a few other bits that I didn’t note down. Was it worth the wait? Maybe as the dolls we picked up for $10 we still for sale for $30 in World of Disney!

We also grabbed a few other bits on our visit, Aaron got 4 polo tops from Hilfiger, Laura got a beautiful necklace from one of the diamond places and Aaron grabbed a shirt from Oakley.

Hungry now, we popped into the food hall and all went for a Chinese from Asian Chow. Aaron and I were both piglets and had a 3 entrée plate, Laura stuck with one and Edith shared from plated and also snacked on food I had bought out with us. It was all very good & filled a hole.

One the way back to the hotel we popped into Publix, Edith was asleep again so I stayed with her while Laura and Aaron topped up the essentials, milk, eggs ect. They also picked up a kids Mac & Cheese meal for Edith to have later on as Laura was babysitting for us.

It was 2.30pm by the time we got back to the hotel and by 3pm Aaron and I were ready & downstairs ordering an UBER to take us to Universal. It was Halloween Horror Nights time, oh yea! We were both so excited for this, it was the main reason we booked to visit Florida again after only being so recently. One of the houses was Ghostbusters and as a life long fan, Aaron was excited! We had the normal ticket, the scream & stay ticket which allowed us to ender the park from 3pm & express passes so we were hopeful we would manage most, if not all of the houses tonight.

We got dropped off and head into City Walk. It was so lovely to be back, our last 3 trips have been mainly Disney focused because of Edith but Universal holds a special place in our hearts for sure!

We made a beeline for Voodoo donuts & picked up on of their signature voodoo ones. I had been after one of these since seeing them on Man vs Food years back. It was absolutely delicious but absolutely huge and even with both of us working on him; some had to be thrown in the bin. Such a shame!

Our original plan had been to pop in for a drink at our old fave Margaretville but we were both aching to get into the park so we saved that for the second night we had planned.

Once in the park we head straight for Rip Ride Rocket, one of our favourite rides. It was a walk on thanks to most people leaving the park. I went for Black Eyed Peas, Pump it for my soundtrack, so much fun. Next up, we went into the HHN pop up shop. This was fab, it was full of Ghostbuster & Stanger Things merchandise and photo ops, such a great place to look around, We spent a while in there before heading onto Jimmy Fallons ride though New York. This was good as usual, we love Jimmy Fallon and we love NYC so it’s a winner all round.

It was 5ish by this point so we head into Finnegan’s for a quick drink before joining the holding pen for Ghostbusters. I had a grean cocktail that was absolutely awful! I think I paid $14 for it too! It put me off ordering anything else the rest of the night so I just stuck to water. Aaron had a beer.

The holding pen got released at about 5.30pm and we followed the crowd over to Ghostbusters. We had to wait about 20 minutes but we were happy with that, we saved our express option so we could do this house twice. The house was great fun. It’s so clever the way the do it, they play the very well known lines from the films soundtrack, at the same time a look-a-like character will pop out and mouth the same words in time, all while there are other noises and strobe lighting all around. It’s so immersive and intense. Aaron absolutely loved it and I thought it was very well done.

Next up was Stranger Things which is the one I was most looking forward to. We used express and we had to wait about 5 minutes. Gosh it was good, it was based on seasons 2 & 3 and had very familiar scenes from the hospital / houses ect. Just fabulous.

Aaron was after a beer at this point so we popped to the bar by Monsters Café and he got one in a souvenir cup, he was absolutely chuffed with it .

Next up we did the ‘US’ house. Having not seen the movie at the time we thought it was good, very creepy in places and now having watched the movie since we came home we can understand the layout ect more. It was another good walk through. The Yeti one was next and for me, this was the most jumpy so far! It was 7.45 by now and we had already completed 4 houses, we were doing well.

Aaron was after another drink so we went to the same pop up bar for a little sit down.

Next up was the Killer Clowns House, this for me was the worst of the houses. Clowns just don’t bother me and I found it quite laughable. They had the most enormous heads on that looked silly on a normal size body, still good fun through.

Peckish now, we popped into Mel’s Die In. A clever play on the normal name. I had the chicken fingers and Aaron had a cheeseburger. It was delicious and it was pretty quiet in there compared to a normal busy park day so that was nice. We got a lovely booth and enjoyed our meal and a chance to rest.

We finished the houses one after another next with only a pit stop to ride the Simpsons in between. These last 5 all seemed to merge into one and seemed quite similar. We did the Universal Monsters one which was good as we recognised the characters, House of 1000 Corpses which I wrote down was also brilliant but I can’t really remember any details now. Nightingales Blood Pit, Depths of Fear and Graveyard Games were all good too, pretty jumpy and they always managed to get me at the last second. You see the exit & think your safe but every time there is someone waiting to jump you on the way out!

Whilst in line for the last couple of houses, my feet were on fire. We had walked over 25k steps today and I was feeling it. I was so ready to go home but Aaron was so excited that he still had the express available for the Ghostbusters House. We sat for a bit & watched the show over the water, it was really good with some great projections over some of the buildings. When that had finished, we head to Ghostbusters and queued for about 10 minutes to walkthrough again. It was good to do it again; you can pick up on different details each time.

We finally made our way out of the park and all the way to the guest pick up area that’s been added since we last visited. We grabbed an Uber and were home by 12.30am. Laura and Edith were asleep so Aaron and I had a lovely, peaceful night without any toddler kicks to the face. Perfect!

Edited at 09:51 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Gwilspeed
slightly serious Dibber

Super jealous of you (and everyone else) who has made it out for ghostbusters. We couldn’t get the dates to work so we’d get a visit.

Disneyland 05, 15 / NYC,11,16 / Vegas 07,15
Gwilspeed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Great day. I'm a wimp so couldn't do HHN. Think my daughter would love it though.

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great day but I'm such a wimp that I couldn't even contemplate HHN!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Another great day! I’m not sure I’d be too scared of going to HHN but if we’re ever in Florida whilst it’s on I may give it a go. A lot of it does sound fun

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Gwilspeed View Post
Super jealous of you (and everyone else) who has made it out for ghostbusters. We couldn’t get the dates to work so we’d get a visit.

That's a shame, I'm forever grateful they announced it as a house else I wouldn't have been back in Florida.

Originally Posted by Ariel's Mum View Post
Great day. I'm a wimp so couldn't do HHN. Think my daughter would love it though.
Its a great night, they put so much effort into it all.

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Great day but I'm such a wimp that I couldn't even contemplate HHN!
That''s a shame, it's great fun.

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Another great day! I’m not sure I’d be too scared of going to HHN but if we’re ever in Florida whilst it’s on I may give it a go. A lot of it does sound fun
You must It's amazing. Such a great night!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Another great day

Joan
Old 26 Oct 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

I’m so pleased the Ghostbusters house was worth the trip, I bet Aaron was delighted with his beer glass. So lovely you both got back to Universal and that Laura looked after Edith-definitely a date night to remember!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

Never done a park on Halloween 🎃DW too jumpy so we just drive around celebration to admire the decorations. Looks like you had a fab evening tho
Old 15 Aug 21, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
What a great night. I am desperate to do HHN. I think it will end up next year now before we actually get there but you never know.