Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 26 Oct 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Wow you definitely did justice to your trip to F&W. We’ll be there for F&G next year and am hoping to use quite a few credits wandering through World Showcase.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Day 4 - Disney Springs and CBR

Today was meant to be a relaxing pool day at the BC with lunch from there, however, the weather had other plans for us as it rained pretty much all day Breakfast was cereal again which we bought from the resort shop - a box of Frosties and carton of milk for $10.10 including tax. I can safely say that's the most expensive box of cereal I've ever bought!

We popped to DS for lunch and to have a look around the shops. Andy, Brodie and I opted for Blaze, but as Izzy doesn't eat pizza we needed to get an alternative for her. She was in the mood for some fish and chips so we popped to Cookes of Dublin and used 1 QS credit to get fish and chips and a bottle of water.

She really enjoyed the chips, but, in her words, the fish tasted like feet! Andy tried a bit too and said it was bad and really over salted. Not salt that was added afterwards, but actually in the batter. We've eaten there before and enjoyed it, but the fish is a definite no for us now. The chips were good though.
Brodie got a plain cheese and tomato pizza:

Andy and I shared a fully loaded vege pizza as we planned to get ice cream afterwards:

As expected, these were delicious!

Afterwards we went to Ghirardelli where Andy and I got a single scoop of ice cream using 2 snack credits. I got black cherry and Andy got cookie dough:

The children wanted some chocolate. I asked about the value of a snack credit and was told $5.25. I'm sure I've read it's higher than that on here, but that's what we were told. We got 2 bars of chocolate which were $3.95 each, then 3double square packs which were $1 each. The lady at the till just kept adding them until we were at our limit. They came to $10.90 before tax.

We went to HS for the evening and planned to eat there, but none of us were hungry whilst there, so we ate back at CBR.
Izzy had... braised beef with rice, green beans and black beans. No surprise there!

Brodie actually chose something else at last - braised beef with rice, green beans and black beans

They both really enjoyed this and I'm sure it won't be the last time they eat it!
I had the chicken bowl with rice, black beans, green beans and cilantro-lime tofu crema (sauce!) This normally comes with a tomato and cucumber salad, but I asked to swap for green beans.

The chicken was tender, everything else was well cooked and tasty.
Andy chose the soft shell fish tacos with fries:

He said these were really good. He liked the soft shell style of taco, the fish was tender and lightly spiced, and the slaw added a crunch and freshness. He'd happily have these again.

That was it for food today. Tomorrow we're going to Typhoon Lagoon for the day and MK fir the evening.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019

Edited at 06:53 PM.
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

I just thought I'd add a quick post about having cereal for breakfast to save QS credits. We've always brought cereal with us in the past, but tended to have a mix of cereal and food court breakfasts depending on our plans for the day. It wasn't to save credits, but just because it's what suits us best.

This time we're actively trying to save credits as Izzy's boyfriend, Sam, is joining us for the second week as a surprise. He booked after free dining had finished, so hopefully we'll be able to save enough credits to cover his meals too. We should be okay as we have a couple of TS meals planned when he's here - Teppan Edo and Outback Steakhouse, plus we've got a night at Cabana Bay as Izzy, Sam and Andy will be doing the HHN, so we'll be eating there too. We're not limiting what we eat at all, but not using credits for breakfast is helping, plus we've had a few shared meals too.

So week 2 of the report will feature meals and snacks for 5 people

loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the update.

Edited at 07:06 PM.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Great first few days food Vickie - I loved the food at Satu'li Canteen too and the Ample Hills ice cream. Your Food and Wine snacks look great too. The desserts from the chocolate studio sound delicious.

What do you think of Beach Club? I agree it definitely lacks in QS options which is a shame if you fancy making full use of the pool facilities on a short visit and don't want to have to pop out.

Diane
Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Hi Vicky. F and w food looks great. The tuna, scallops and Nitro choc dish sound amazing.
Love that you have a Spread sheet of prices.
Ample hills is such good value for a SC and i loved the ooey gooey butter cake flavour.
How did you enjoy BC? We loved the pool but also felt the qs options were really limited. The pool food was pretty good though 😊
The BC was nice, but our plan of relaxing by the pool on check out day was a wash out due to the rain unfortunately We did use it for a few hours on check in day, and it's a great pool, but the sand that they use is really painful to walk on when it's on the walkways - it's like gritting salt! As for the BC, we did like it and the location is great, but as a family I think we've discovered that we prefer the moderate motel style resorts over the hotel style ones. So SSR and OKW would suit us better than BC. Possibly because they feel more like holiday homes to us and that's how we generally holiday. The only time we stay in hotels is a night at a Premier Inn or when we go skiing. We like a decent food court and shop too, plus walking around the landscaped gardens to get to places, rather than hotel corridors. It's not somewhere we'd happily pay the premium to stay over CBR. If prices were the same, CBR still might edge it for us. Izzy and Brodie have voted CBR. It will be interesting to see if we feel the same about our night at WL.

I can't take credit for the spreadsheet - that was CosmicGirl I do like a spreadsheet and have one for all my plans, but not For&W costs as it's not something I need to worry about due to having the dining plan

Old 26 Oct 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Thanks for the update.
Just a quick note: I think you meant Cookes of Dublin, not Captain Cook's at the Poly?
Ah yes! Will edit now

Old 26 Oct 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

I can't take credit for the spreadsheet as someone on the DIS does the bulk of the work annually: docs.google/spreadsheets...uPAly/pubhtml#

I simply downloaded it and and added a column of 0s and 1s to calculate the total price.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

All caught up. You’ve had some excellent food choices so far... it’s really helpful for me to see such varied QS options. I’m also now annoyed at myself that we didn’t properly ‘do’ the F & W when we went in 2017... you had some amazing dishes! Am looking forward to following along with the rest
Old 26 Oct 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Finally catching up

Wow, M&S just gearing you up for Disney pricing.

I do love a Premier Inn breakfast, I’m not quite over us not having one this year.

I think the Virgin plane food looks really nice, very impressed. Your afternoon tea sounds lovely and definitely a better option than the ‘normal’ one.

Your chicken bowl at Centertown looks and sounds delicious, good to read about Disney not shying about from seasoning as sometimes I think the err on the side of caution too much.

Very surprised to hear that CBR won’t let you swap your drink for a snack. I think if this is the policy Disney want to adopt, they should enforce it across property and not just pick and choose where the apply it.

I’m really glad you enjoyed your meal at Be Our Guest, I am quite tempted by the sound of Andy’s chicken, the mash looks lovely. I agree, great use of a snack credit.

I didn’t have any joy finding a pin trading folder last year, in the end I got one from the US Shop Disney website when I had a good discount code. Pricey for shipping and customs though.

Thank you for the pictures of the options at Blaze, that’s very helpful.

I am howling at Izzy and Brodie’s CBR meals, that’s exactly what Nik would be like left to his own devices.

Fish and chips at Epcot look fab, this always appeals to me but I’m yet to try it. It definitely looks nicer than Cookes of Dublin. I love the platter from Tangierine Café!

You tried a lot of the Food & Wine snacks that we missed out on; I am definitely regretting that now. It’s been great reading your thoughts on your choices and your photos are great.

Your thoughts on moderate vs. Deluxe match mine exactly.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

We were told $6.27 a snack I think at Ghiradelli this week. Some lovely food and snacks (apart from the fish)
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List