Home improvements 37 12.46%
Car/bike 3 1.01%
Other 14 4.71%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 May 21, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We moved to a new build house in our mid thirties with a then 5 and 2 year old. We did very little to it and spent all our savings on Florida holidays until they left started university. Then we had cheaper Florida holidays and did only what was needed on the house.

Once they both finished university, we were, in comparison rich - the eldest was one of the first lot to get virtually no grant at all. We then spent a fortune on the house and had Florida holidays. Now we need to spend little on the house as we prepared for retirement and spend a lot on other things like holidays and cars.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

A home always takes priority. I am in it for the vast majority of the year. We’ve had fabulous holidays and given them many experiences with our sons and we were talking about it the other day with the eldest and he has limited memories of them on another thread someone is asking about caravan holidays and this is what we did until our first Florida trip when they were 11 and 14. We spent hours on the beach, camped on farms and saw the livestock and even saw lambs being born and the lads fed them, climbed mountains and played football for hours in the fields. You don’t need to spend a fortune on making memories but spending on the house and keeping it nice will be more beneficial to them in the long term (I.e. inheritance).
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
LIZH
Imagineer

Difficult one really, I love Florida and get down when I can’t go, but we want to double the size of our extension if we can and I reckon are looking at about £80k to do it properly with a new kitchen and levelling my floors downstairs. I do make concessions though, I travel economy usually and go without a lot just so I can have my 4 weeks in the sun.
LIZH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I do prioritise holidays in a way yes. When we moved in our house a few years ago, we did change the kitchen, bathroom and redecorated throughout as it needed it.

Then for the next few years our money went our holidays (unless anything major needed doing, for example our boiler was breaking at one point so obviously we replaced that).

It’s only this year, after having money for holidays sitting in the bank since March 2020, that we decided to spend that money on the house and on the jobs we’ve always wanted to do.

We have had the downstairs walls re skimmed, we’ve replaced all downstairs doors and we’ve put a new fireplace in too.

If covid hadn’t happened then these jobs probably wouldn’t have happened, as the money would have gone on holidays, but they weren’t exactly urgent jobs either.
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFan_
VIP Dibber

Every year I say next year we will stay at home and do some home improvements, but by the time the next year comes, holidays always win. My home improvements can wait, I want to take my children away while they are young enough and still want to come with us
FloridaFan_ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My husband keeps saying “next year is home improvement year” , no holidays ...
I just nod , not gonna happen
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Its only recently that we've been able to go abroad every year, of course that has coincided with a pandemic but I'm hopeful things will continue to get back on track We've always prioritised holidays and days out over home improvements (not including necessary repairs/maintenance) though I totally agree with the posters saying you don't need to go to Florida and other far flung destinations to create memories with your family, its great if you can but my kids are equally as excited about going to Butlins next week

Edited at 07:18 PM.
LizzyBear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 21, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

If things really need replacing we will do that, but pure cosmetic work we are skipping for now. Our girls are 13 and 14 we need to spend time and make memories with them. Before they are off with friends..
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 22, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

It wouldn't be either/ or for me. Every month I allocate X amount to a holiday fund, a 'misc ' fund and bills. I would have to be desperate before I used my holiday fund to pay for something not holiday related.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 22, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pep
Imagineer

We do the jobs on the house when they need doing and the expensive holidays get kicked into touch.
However a conservatory or a fancy car would not make my life any better so I would rather have some great holidays and stick with my average car my the house the size it is.
Pep is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List