Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 27 Mar 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 766
Very Serious Dibber

No no, I am happy to hear that. However sitting in a wheelchair for long periods is not comfortable for him either, but if you feel he would not qualify, I accept that

Proud DVC owner since 2007
I own at Animal Kingdom Villas and Bay Lake Tower
Tinkerbell 766 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 766 View Post
We are going in 2022 with mY daughter and SIL for the first time. My SIL has had back and neck surgery and finds standing still and sitting for long periods very uncomfortable. We are thinking of getting him the pass that enables him to virtually queue so he can continue to walk around whilst waiting to ride. Would this mean that our whole party (five adults and one three year old) can virtually queue and ride with him or would it only apply to my SIL and one other?
Thank you - have never had to consider this before.
I think you just need to ask when you get there, of course he may not be able to ride a few rides because of back/neck problems anyway, but yoh will not know unless you ask. X
Old 27 Mar 21, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Baltic
Getting to know the DIBB

No no, I am happy to hear that. However sitting in a wheelchair for long periods is not comfortable for him either, but if you feel he would not qualify, I accept that
First of all, there is no need to sit in the wheelchair all the time. Take it with you into a land, park it at stroller parking until you need it.
You can take it with you in the attraction line and there will be a place to sit, if one needs one.

I use a wheelchair myself, because I am unable to stand or walk for more than a few short minutes.
I have never tried for a DAS, because my wheelchair ist all I need.

If he feels, that a wheelchair or something like that would be no help, he should talk to guest relation.
Only a CM can give the answer, if your SIL can get a DAS.
They need to know why a wheelchair will not work and will happen, if he has to wait in the line.
Baltic is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 21, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Just to say, a wheelchair user does get treated similarly on some rides as if they have DAS so it isn't that he wont get the same treatment its just that he doesn't physically need to go to guest services to set up. DAS is for people who don't have a visual way of highlighting they need additional help such as a wheelchair or mobility aid. As mentioned below some rides do still require wheelchair users to use the usual route for the ride.

I don't think anyone really knows how Disney decide who qualifies its just a matter of going and asking really. Its best to see what they say as there are not strict and fast rules that A will quality but B wont. The only major thing is that if you have a mobility aid such as a wheelchair then you wont qualify as it will class as the DAS itself.

My sister has a hip issue and uses a scooter so has never needed a DAS. I am registered blind and so have issues using some of the queuing spaces so qualify for DAS. We tend to use whatever is easiest when together which is usually the scooter access in all honesty but I always get the card for areas where we are going on separately.

Edited at 07:14 AM.
gismo1554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 21, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

A wheelchair does not automatically get you the same access as a DAS pass. My daughter has both. The vast majority of queue lines are now wheelchair accessible and you are expected to use them if you don't have a DAS return time.
Old 30 Mar 21, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
A wheelchair does not automatically get you the same access as a DAS pass. My daughter has both. The vast majority of queue lines are now wheelchair accessible and you are expected to use them if you don't have a DAS return time.
I've adjusted my post. We don't do any of the large rollercoaster style rides so everything we do I think apart from one ride we were given return times for but this might have been because of the rides we were doing.
Old 31 Mar 21, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

It is a confusing topic TBH. Disney has made most queues accessible now to eliminate the need to use seperate entrances, the Fastpass lane or even the exit like in the past or in some other parks. This has eliminated the issue of people renting a wheelchair for someone able bodied so the whole party could skip the queue. This is also why return times are given unless wait times are very short

The DAS pass is for people who can not wait in line whether or not for physical reasons. This does not always mean hidden disabilities. Mobility issues that require a wheelchair etc do not qualify a person for a DAS automatically but don't disqualify either. There is NOT a list of diagnoses that qualify and cast members are not allowed to ask the name of the condition or for a doctor's letter. They can only ask why the person will struggle to wait. It is then a judgment call so difficult to know ahead of time what the decision will be.
Old 31 Mar 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

I have very bad scolioisis of the spine and lower back disc issues. I have not been since 2018 and have managed very well on my previous visits. I can walk very well, but with further degeneration standing still for more than 10/15 mins is something I can no longer do. So on my next visit I shall be asking to be able to use a DAS pass. If fast passes are back 2022 we shall of course use those and use the DAS if I find I need to. Oh, and we are three people.

Although my disability is clearly visible, many people and especially children have a hidden disability.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 21, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've no energy to waste on people who con a disability system, I am sure its minimal and they're idiots.
I think it's great that there is a system for hidden disabilities, not sure if there is at UK parks?
salmim is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 21, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
I've no energy to waste on people who con a disability system, I am sure its minimal and they're idiots.
I think it's great that there is a system for hidden disabilities, not sure if there is at UK parks?
Some of the UK parks now accept the “access card”, which you can apply for and pay for. You need to send them as much evidence as possible and they decide which options to provide based on your requests. For example we have one for my DD and it shows that she needs a carer, poor sight - so might need enlarged items and finds queuing difficult.
The Access Card is accepted at many other places as well - Zoo’s etc. It is very reasonable and we thought a great idea especially for some hidden disabilities.
The card helps the venues to clearly see what is required - so my DD would get the queue line card at the theme parks in the UK (return time given of entry through exit) and a free carer. But would not need a wheelchair or hearing help as these are not on her access card.

Edited at 08:08 PM.
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List