Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Weighted Blankets

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with taking weighted blankets on planes?

My nephew has been diagnosed with ADHD and one of the things that was recommended was a weighted blanket.
It has worked wonders with him and we're reluctant to leave it behind next year. Are you able to take it through hand luggage or does it need to go in hold? Just conscious of the weight in case we need to pay for an extra case.

Thanks in advance!
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 21, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

Hi

I think it would very much depend on the weight and size of the blanket. I have a larger fleece heavier blanket that I would struggle to take in checked in luggage, purely because of the size. I've just bought a single sized cooling weighted blanket from Kuddly and it is lighter at 5kg and rolls up it's own bag. Depending on the airline you might be able to take it in hand luggage. I would, however, contact the airline as I wonder if it would class as medical equipment. Also, would it be worth asking TSA about getting it through - the last thing you'd need is for them to pull it and want to cut it open... I have no idea what it would look like on x-ray!

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 21, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Does he use it just for sleeping? There's somebody I follow on Facebook who makes weighted lap blankets if that's another option?
Or could you get a cheaper one shipped to your hotel from amazon and then leave it behind? I'm not sure about the cost of extra luggage so don't know if that's a cheaper option or not!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 06:05 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Walmart sell them - perhaps have shipped to the nearest store to you and pickup there, or use one of the personal shoppers on here to get it for you and see if they will deliver to you on day you arrive possibly?

walmart/browse/home/...185109_2227165
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD has one and uses it every night. I think it will be too heavy unless it has a case by itself and possibly pay the extra for the weight.
I would consider, as others have suggested, and look to order one for delivery to the hotel.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Contact your airline, medical equipment/aids travels for free as you get an extra weight allowance.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dougyjemd
Trying for More Ears

dougyjemd's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I was recently looking at weighted blankets for my son, who also has adhd but wanted something we could travel with and we stumbled across a few different weighted toys. Is this something you/he would consider using. He could then carry said toy with him through security and in my opinion could help him on the flight . This is something I'm looking in to for my son as we have a 9 hour flight and he's a handful and then some so I need him as relaxed as possible.

I've seen a few different websites for them and have found them on Amazon too
dougyjemd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dougyjemd View Post
I was recently looking at weighted blankets for my son, who also has adhd but wanted something we could travel with and we stumbled across a few different weighted toys. Is this something you/he would consider using. He could then carry said toy with him through security and in my opinion could help him on the flight . This is something I'm looking in to for my son as we have a 9 hour flight and he's a handful and then some so I need him as relaxed as possible.

I've seen a few different websites for them and have found them on Amazon too
I have purchased the weighted blankets for our grandson , they work really well for him (autistic) I was delighted last week on a trip to Smyths , they had weighted Mr Tumbles in so one was purchased immediately for Christmas
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List