Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 12 Sep 21, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
wreckitralph15
Getting Excited

Manatees in July

So everything crossed for July 2022. This trip is a non park trip so I am busy looking into all the brilliant things we can do besides queue.

I know a manatee encounter is more likely around April but is there anywhere in July where we could possibly do a manatee tour?

Any suggestions would be great.
wreckitralph15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We are doing the Crystal river in April in order to swim with the Manatees.

Many leave as things warm up, but there is a resident population.

If you are looking at other things than parks (as we do), might I suggest a look at some of the following?

Rainbow river at Dunellon.

Lazy H horse riding at Kissimmee (they take novice first timers such as I).

Valiant air command museum at Titusville (near KSC).

Fantasy of flight at Polk City.

Delnor Wiggins State Park at Naples.

Fossilised Shark tooth hunting at Caspersen Beach, Venice.

Buffalo Tiger air boating and alligators on the Tamiami Causeway (nothing like Orlando and vastly superior).

7 mile bridge (if you go down that way).

Pensacola Beach and also the fabulous nearby Naval Aviation Museum. (If you go up that way).

Crab Island at Destin (no crabs and no island).

Eglin AFB Armaments museum.

USS Alabama at Mobile (if you want to go a tad further).

A little research for you!

Edited at 09:51 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
wreckitralph15
Getting Excited

Morning
Thankyou. After reading your trip reports we have added lots of the things you have done to our list.

I've read that the water in crystal river might be "murky" in July but I think we're going to give it ago.

Due to flying into Miami we are going to have a "mini" road trip on the way back (thinking of 5 days) and staying a night in some of the places you have mentioned.

The girls really want to find shark teeth so we've just got the big map out and they are (as I typed- eating cornflakes and circling the places with a purple sharpie.

Any other suggestions- we will welcome
Many Thanks
wreckitralph15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

We went to Crystal river in august, which I think is also a bit out of main season, but we encountered many including a mum and calf.

I'd recommend trying to book the first tour that goes out - which means an early start - as apparently that has a greater chance of encounters.

You can also view manatees in the wild at various spots including the Merritt nature reserve near to the Kennedy space centre - which incidentally is also worth a visit!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
wreckitralph15
Getting Excited

Thanks Alison,
The first tour at the moment is 7.00am. There is another tour at 10.00.

Would you go for the 7.00 or 10.00?

Only asking because on "Sunshine Mikes" tour it says to arrive 45 mins before your tour leaves. If we go for the early tour it might be worth looking for somewhere the night before.
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I'm pretty certain we went for the 7am, which I agree in hindsight sounds mega early! It's about an hour to get there, maybe just a bit more.

We did consider staying over but in the end just got up early - the area is really pretty and driving through sunrise was very agreeable!

The nearby townstead had some nice little shops to explore and a lovely tea and cake shop. I'm sure if you stayed over there would be other things to explore too.

For the actual trip, take water shoes and have your swimwear on and ready. They provide everything else including a wetsuit and a noodle float. They also include a very good mask - I wear contacts and no water at all came through my mask, so I was able to keep them on.

They sell on a video and photos of your tour - ours I think had about 8 ppl on it including us four, so lots of room.

It's not scary either - even though you're in a Florida river! Seeing your first manatee, perhaps floating nearby, is magical as is listening to them munching grass at the bottom!

I think our kids got a bit cold by the end - the water is a bit Cold to get in but you are moving all the time. The noodles help a lot.

I think you'll love it

Just checked and yes it was the 7am one !

Edited at 10:55 AM.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
wreckitralph15
Getting Excited

This is brilliant advice and my husband is grinning from ear to ear at the thought of NOT having to fork out for another overnight hotel!

Last question. How far in advance did you book?
Old 12 Sep 21, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wreckitralph15 View Post
Morning
Thankyou. After reading your trip reports we have added lots of the things you have done to our list.

I've read that the water in crystal river might be "murky" in July but I think we're going to give it ago.

Due to flying into Miami we are going to have a "mini" road trip on the way back (thinking of 5 days) and staying a night in some of the places you have mentioned.

The girls really want to find shark teeth so we've just got the big map out and they are (as I typed- eating cornflakes and circling the places with a purple sharpie.

Any other suggestions- we will welcome
Many Thanks
It is important to go to the right part of the Beach.
You will go past the Caspersen sign

and then on down the track until you reach a gravelly carpark on your left (free). From there it is out, across the boardwalk and to the sea.

There will be people walking around with their eyes looking at their feet.

Top tip, take a Walmart sieve .. or two. Take the gravelly sand at around knee deep in the water. Obviously those beach combers on dry land won’t have seen what you are gathering and sieving.

Behind the carpark is a really interesting swampy bit where you can find crabs.

Afterwards, Sharky’s on the Pier is a very nice place to eat. There are generally fishermen on that pier and last time, we saw one catch a Bonnet Shark.

All in all, you won’t be disappointed!

Edited at 05:58 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wreckitralph15 View Post
This is brilliant advice and my husband is grinning from ear to ear at the thought of NOT having to fork out for another overnight hotel!

Last question. How far in advance did you book?
We booked about two weeks before - while in florida - I'd book earlier than this though especially as those early slots are popular!