Old 14 Oct 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink20
Excited about Disney

Tink20's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Autism Nephew Airport and flight

Hi All

We are planning to go back next November my nephew is currently in the process of potentially being diagnosed with autism.

He will be 3.5 when we fly so my question is how do others with autistic children find the whole airport and flight process?

Sorry I know every person reacts differently to situations but was just wondering what other people’s experiences have been like and if you have any tips on how to make it the best experience we can for him.

Thanks
Tink20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Contact special assistance before you go

We’ve taken ds pre, during & post diagnosis and the latter 2 were a lot easier as I was aware of things that are more difficult for him and things to do to make it easier for everyone. It can be challenging and he’s likely to have some meltdowns but if you can pre empt them and have measures in place to minimise them that’s half the battle.

We’ve flown from gatwick previously and we’re able to use the priority line? for screening so didn’t need to queue with everyone else. They did a booklet they sent me that had a what to expect with visual walkthrough guide. We were also one of the first groups to board.

Take whatever helps calm him for the flight. Ds had ear defenders and he lives on the iPad= we took his own comfy headphones(if he’s not used to them start practising now) we took his favourite blanket and snack I know he’ll eat

Try watching some videos before you go to help him understand what to expect. there are a few where people going to Disney have shown some of the airport/ boarding on YouTube that we watched.

Get him the practice sitting in a chair for a prolonged period
Listen to airplane noises
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

One of the best things you can do is wear the sunflower lanyard. It’s a very quick and easy way of communicating to others that you may need help in crowds and queues. Both sides of the pond. Also you can get something put in his passport at the airport if you contact special assistance.
It defo is individual though as for example my son hates ear defenders so he would use a dummy for the ear popping.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD wears the sunflower lanyard which has helped massively with getting through the airport.
We normally stay at the airport the night before and do twilight check in if we can, if not we will wonder round the airport and get her a little used to the surroundings. Have a coffee in Costa and walk past the security entrance so she can see it in advance.
Once through security we will book a lounge and head there. It’s a much quieter environment, we have some food and she sits and watches the planes. She has her earphones, iPad, phone to hand so she can go on them to distract her.
One of her worst meltdowns pre diagnosis was going through security, she got scared but the staff were fantastic.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink20
Excited about Disney

Tink20's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thank you for all your replies ☺️

Some good ideas we haven’t thought of like going to the terminal the night before to look around.

We still have a year to go so I’m sure I will be back with more questions before we go! 😂
Tink20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Lilminx
Excited about Disney

I've flown with AA, BA and Delta. All amazing with my daughter. We had special assistance with the airport. But I asked the aircrew if we could board first and alone (she hates people touching her and that hassle of boarding is a nightmare) and they all said yes and very very kind and helpful. She was seated and watching a movie well before anyone else got on and it made such a difference to the whole flight.

2020 victim of Covid
Lilminx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
davidh71
Trying for More Ears

Boarding the plane first is also a big help for us.

First time flying we made sure to show lots of clips of both the airport and the plane and talked lots about it in advance - step by step so they knew exactly what to expect.

Biggest slip up on our first long haul flight was not taking enough variety of snacks. Very few options available on the flight and this caused an issue with our youngest.
davidh71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 01:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Definetly contact apecial assistance. They will help alot with boarding first and help on landing if necessary, we wait until everyone is off and We go with the assistance people through immigration etc.

Sadly im not sure how much support the sunflower lanyard will give post-covid due to its overuse but we always found it good in the past.

Our DD doesnt travel light, although she has got better and DH goes through security first, followed by DD special toys, then she goes through and then me. This way they are waiting for her. Usually staff are good, although for some reason on last 2 trips she has been taken aside, and done over with wand, maybe she just gets highlighted as being extra nervous.

Social stories and Youtube walk throughs can be good way to prepare.
Old 18 Oct 21, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My son is autistic , I’ve also worked supporting kids on the spectrum.
You are quite right every individual is different , many are very sensitive to noise and touch and texture so yes request assistance and also ask to board first , I found his own earphones invaluable
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

Hi
Everyone else has made great suggestions. The only other thing we did was visit our local airport a few times. We stood and watched airplanes take off and land and went inside the terminal for quick looks round. Just helped our boys to get used to the environment a bit more too.