Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Oct 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

Mobile

How about a cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship? Has lots of facilities for teenagers.
sparkles18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Dubai but staying near the parks at lapita will be cheaper. Look at emirates holidays they have great deals but only 11 months out
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
Costa Rica is on my bucket list! I’ve looked at AI with TUI but their flights are only 1 day a week midweek which would mean DS missing school even if we only went for a week. I did look at just flights with BA but it was all a bit overwhelming as it’s somewhere we’ve never been before.
I definitely think it’s somewhere me and DH will go at some point though!
Don't go AI , that's not what Costa rica is about. All the AIs are up in the north away from the best bits.
We booked independently, flights are reasonable at the moment ( I was tempted but already booked South Africa ) loads of well run hotels and b&ba for all budgets and if you stay in 2 or 3 locations to can do beach, rainforest, cloudforest etc
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
Don't go AI , that's not what Costa rica is about. All the AIs are up in the north away from the best bits.
We booked independently, flights are reasonable at the moment ( I was tempted but already booked South Africa ) loads of well run hotels and b&ba for all budgets and if you stay in 2 or 3 locations to can do beach, rainforest, cloudforest etc
Thank you, I think it’s something DH and I will do, I’m always nervous about doing DIY somewhere I’ve never been (particularly if there is a language barrier) with DS as he has coeliac disease so I always need to do lots of research to make sure he can eat. He’s very gluten sensitive and He’s quite a fussy eater too and hates being singled out which makes it even more challenging.
We wanted to do Japan but they really aren’t great with GF and when I researched it just looked like it could be a nightmare. I know most countries are getting better so I’m hoping by the time DS is an adult the world will be his oyster!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

DXB has certainly shot up in price. We’ve noticed that and sell it every day.

California sounds like a fab option
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
DXB has certainly shot up in price. We’ve noticed that and sell it every day.

California sounds like a fab option
Yeah I think as long as BA flight prices aren’t too crazy for our dates we are going with California. I’m thinking 3 nights in LA, 3 nights in San Diego and 4 nights in Anaheim.
I think DH will hate LA but it’s only 3 nights so he can suck it up lol 😂.
We will prob do universal, whale watching and San Diego Zoo and obviously Disneyland. DH and DS seem happy with this plan so when BA release their flights hopefully we can book!
If anyone has any suggestions for absolute must dos and good gluten free places to eat that would be great, although I will start researching and planning anyway.
Thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations, I love this forum so much!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Yeah I think as long as BA flight prices aren’t too crazy for our dates we are going with California. I’m thinking 3 nights in LA, 3 nights in San Diego and 4 nights in Anaheim.
We will prob do universal, whale watching and San Diego Zoo and obviously Disneyland. DH and DS seem happy with this plan so when BA release their flights hopefully we can book!
If anyone has any suggestions for absolute must dos and good gluten free places to eat that would be great, although I will start researching and planning anyway.
Thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations, I love this forum so much!
We are also looking to straddle the October half term (first vacation without children, but our then 16 year old will be home alone and we need direct supervision. Older son can come down for half term). I research very heavily indeed, as I am tight fisted.

We are looking at into SFO (3), then Monterey (2), San Luis Obispo (1), then flight to Las Vegas (2), Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon (1), Winslow, Tucson (3), Pima, Tombstone, flight to San Diego (3) then home from SD… all in 15 nights.
Prices with BA are currently very stable (and also extremely competitive) on routes into SFO (and LAX). They are equally stable out of SAN. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays are one price and Friday Sat, Sunday a different and higher price. You will see this when you enter your Multi City and look at the bar above that contains the few days before and the few days after.
We are currently looking at £409.99pp return into SFO and out of SAN, hand baggage only. To upgrade to standard fare and hold luggage is a further £100pp. To upgrade to Standard fare out and Prem Economy home would be £625pp… plus seat selection on way out in order to get exit row going out.

Hoping that this gives you ballpark figures.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:00 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

If your son loves theme parks, then absolutely definitely go to six flags magic mountain (check it’s open in October, but I would think it would be). It has literally some of the best thrill rides in the world. Only 30 mins drive from Burbank (which I would recommend you basing yourself at if you want to go to universal, Hollywood, Warner bros tour, six flags).
Also knotts berry farm ( near Anaheim) is also good. The rides are definitely not as scary and impressive as six flags, but it’s worth a visit).
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by porridge View Post
If your son loves theme parks, then absolutely definitely go to six flags magic mountain (check it’s open in October, but I would think it would be). It has literally some of the best thrill rides in the world. Only 30 mins drive from Burbank (which I would recommend you basing yourself at if you want to go to universal, Hollywood, Warner bros tour, six flags).
Also knotts berry farm ( near Anaheim) is also good. The rides are definitely not as scary and impressive as six flags, but it’s worth a visit).
I would agree with this. 6 Flags Valencia makes most of the rides in Orlando look like toys. A must for any adrenaline junkie.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List