Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 20 Oct 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

First solo trip to DLP!

Hi everyone!

A little bit of background first. I had my first ever trip to DLP booked for May 2020 - then Covid hit I then booked WDW (a returning trip) with my best friend for October this year. Those trips were both cancelled, and I am now so excited to be planning my trip to DLP again!

This will be my first time at DLP, and will be my first solo Disney trip too! It will be a rather short trip - my plan is to fly from Edinburgh on 11th January (first flight at 6am!), stay at the Newport Bay Club, and return on 13th January (the day before my 35th birthday).

I think I am up to speed with the current requirements re Covid and travelling, but I will be keeping an eye on those just incase they change by the time I fly. I believe vaccinated travellers need proof of their vaccination status (does the Covid passport app work for this?), and need to complete a declaration from the French governments website stating that I have not been around anyone with Covid symptoms. On the return I believe I need to complete a passenger locator form before travelling, and then to book a day 2 PCR test.

I'd love to hear of any recommendations on what to do, where to eat whilst I am there to make the most out of my first trip there. I'm very excited to be getting back to some of the Disney magic.

If anyone is else is going the same time, I'd also love to hear from you!
stacy87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarryb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by stacy87 View Post
Hi everyone!

A little bit of background first. I had my first ever trip to DLP booked for May 2020 - then Covid hit I then booked WDW (a returning trip) with my best friend for October this year. Those trips were both cancelled, and I am now so excited to be planning my trip to DLP again!

This will be my first time at DLP, and will be my first solo Disney trip too! It will be a rather short trip - my plan is to fly from Edinburgh on 11th January (first flight at 6am!), stay at the Newport Bay Club, and return on 13th January (the day before my 35th birthday).

I think I am up to speed with the current requirements re Covid and travelling, but I will be keeping an eye on those just incase they change by the time I fly. I believe vaccinated travellers need proof of their vaccination status (does the Covid passport app work for this?), and need to complete a declaration from the French governments website stating that I have not been around anyone with Covid symptoms. On the return I believe I need to complete a passenger locator form before travelling, and then to book a day 2 PCR test.

I'd love to hear of any recommendations on what to do, where to eat whilst I am there to make the most out of my first trip there. I'm very excited to be getting back to some of the Disney magic.

If anyone is else is going the same time, I'd also love to hear from you!
I've done solo before, just the once. Use single rider when possible, you're riding alone anyway!

If you want to eat anywhere super popular, (I'm looking at you Bistrot Chez Remy) then I'd recommend making dining reservations as soon as your booking window opens.

I won't lie, I found the eating in restaurants like that alone a bit weird, but not awful. I was lucky enough to get free full board (unbelievable amounts of food) I ate at Annette's, where they asked if I wanted to sit at the high bar. Which I did, but as no one else was, it was odd, but I just planned my day, and checked out my phone, etc. At Yacht Club the waiter was amazing, and I assume they're used to it, as he asked if I wanted him to take any photos for me. 😂😂😂 Everywhere was completely fine, just felt unusual for me.

My favourite shop, though I have no idea why, is the 3 fairies sweet shop behind the castle. Its only small, but I love it!

There's so many special little details at DLP. There's a lovely little shop by Snow White that has a little scene from it just outside of the shop, but it's still inside. (So hard to explain! 😂 )

I like to go really early, for EMT, as you can get so much done. Just wrap up warm. Drink plenty of hot chocolate, and cups of tea!

Victoria's does great milkshakes. Colonel Hathi's pizzas are great value for money. People rate Hakuna Matata, it's on my to do list!

I can't think of anything else right now. But I'll try to answer any questions you might have. Xx

Edited at 02:58 PM.
Sarryb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sarryb View Post
I've done solo before, just the once. Use single rider when possible, you're riding alone anyway!

If you want to eat anywhere super popular, (I'm looking at you Bistrot Chez Remy) then I'd recommend making dining reservations as soon as your booking window opens.

I won't lie, I found the eating in restaurants like that alone a bit weird, but not awful. I was lucky enough to get free full board (unbelievable amounts of food) I ate at Annette's, where they asked if I wanted to sit at the high bar. Which I did, but as no one else was, it was odd, but I just planned my day, and checked out my phone, etc. At Yacht Club the waiter was amazing, and I assume they're used to it, as he asked if I wanted him to take any photos for me. 😂😂😂 Everywhere was completely fine, just felt unusual for me.

My favourite shop, though I have no idea why, is the 3 fairies sweet shop behind the castle. Its only small, but I love it!

There's so many special little details at DLP. There's a lovely little shop by Snow White that has a little scene from it just outside of the shop, but it's still inside. (So hard to explain! 😂 )

I like to go really early, for EMT, as you can get so much done. Just wrap up warm. Drink plenty of hot chocolate, and cups of tea!

Victoria's does great milkshakes. Colonel Hathi's pizzas are great value for money. People rate Hakuna Matata, it's on my to do list!

I can't think of anything else right now. But I'll try to answer any questions you might have. Xx
Oooh thank you so much for this! This is so helpful!

Do you know if any of the restaurants allow you take any remaining food away with you? I had weight loss surgery last year, and as such I can eat very little, so don’t want to waste foods where possible 😊

I need to look into all the different food places and I will check if bookings are recommended, definitely!

That’s so lovely to hear that the staff were lovely when you were on your own.

I will add those shops to the list for me to check out! I love little details like that, so that’s fab.

Any recommendations for things to do in the evening when on your own? x
stacy87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarryb
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm unsure regarding taking the food with you, but can't see why that would be an issue. But if you eat at a buffet, it's up to you how much you have, so might be more suitable for your particular requirements.

I took a tablet with me, and watched my Amazon Prime. 😂😂 I've seen people say they've taken a now tv stick and watched their Netflix etc through that. But there's bars in the village, and the hotels, if that's your thing. They do (expensive, but lovely) cocktails.

The parks close earlier then, usually around 7pm for the main park, so maybe to stretch out your evening you could make your dinner bookings later. I'm an early to bed, as I'm an early riser. I start work at 7am, so find it difficult to sleep in, even when I'm not working. Xx
Sarryb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I wouldn’t ask to take food away. It’s just not something I have ever encountered anywhere in Europe (including the UK) and it turns my stomach when I see it happening in the US. I just don’t find the thought of day-old restaurant food appetising.

You won’t have a fridge anyway, or a microwave.

To be honest, in the more upscale restaurants, portions are not huge. If you have a dining plan you will get 3 courses, or at a buffet, whatever you want.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 21, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

I'm unsure regarding taking the food with you, but can't see why that would be an issue. But if you eat at a buffet, it's up to you how much you have, so might be more suitable for your particular requirements.

I took a tablet with me, and watched my Amazon Prime. 😂😂 I've seen people say they've taken a now tv stick and watched their Netflix etc through that. But there's bars in the village, and the hotels, if that's your thing. They do (expensive, but lovely) cocktails.

The parks close earlier then, usually around 7pm for the main park, so maybe to stretch out your evening you could make your dinner bookings later. I'm an early to bed, as I'm an early riser. I start work at 7am, so find it difficult to sleep in, even when I'm not working. Xx
That’s what I tend to do when I eat alone - I take my Kindle along and usually read a book thanks so much for the advice and information!
Old 25 Oct 21, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarryb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by stacy87 View Post
That’s what I tend to do when I eat alone - I take my Kindle along and usually read a book thanks so much for the advice and information!
If you do think of anything else you'd like to ask, I'll try to help if I can! Xx
Old 25 Oct 21, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

If you do think of anything else you'd like to ask, I'll try to help if I can! Xx
Thank you so much! I will let you know if anything else comes up - I’ve got a lot of research to do for DLP! 😊 x
Old 26 Oct 21, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Zinderella
I have Ears

How exciting for you!

Whenever I am standing around waiting for one of my group to a) finish in the bathroom, b) get back from a ride I didn't go on c) wait with s'one who didn't want to go on a ride, d) eat in a restaurant I don't particularly like... I fantasise about a solo trip.

i think for me, a not-to-miss around the castle area is one of the things that makes DLP unique... we have a dragon under our castle! And she's beautiful but easy to miss if you don't realise where she is. Look out for the sign La Taniere du Dragon on the left-handside of the castle before you go over the bridge to go through the castle.

Also in the castle is the Christmas shop which I could spend hours and Euros in very easily, hahah. And if you've never been before, do go up the steps inside the castle and walk around the gallery. All of this is so easy to miss if you are just 'walking through' to get to Fantasyland and it is so so pretty
Zinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I don’t think the refurb on the castle finishes for a while yet though, so currently it is under a scrim and you can’t go upstairs or downstairs.

For me the main thing would be to wander and explore. Find things like the Aladdin walkthrough, Kaa and Zazu in Adventureland, Mr Frederickson and Russell by the river, WALL-E and Eve in Discoveryland. Explore Adventure Isle. See Philharmagic with the new Coco segment (before WDW get it!)
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List