Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Apr 21, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
This popped up in my recommended videos last night. Found it fascinating to see Orlando in 1989!
Remember watching that live.
Never imagined I would ever go to America.

Dreams do come true.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Just watched this thank you. Our first trip was in 1989. We laughed at the tips, loved the long queue for the loo tip !
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

Trip down memory lane! That was great, I thought a lot of their tips were pretty good!
scottishgirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

My favourite quote from this show

"In Disneyworld the souvenirs do not run out"

I soon learned it'sbest to buy something when you see it, even back in 1998 on our first trip.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

That was great, thanks for posting, our first trip was 1988, just DH and I, we went for 3 days as part of a stop off on our way home from a conference in Barbados.
We hired a Ford Camaro, it was dark when we arrived and we stayed at holiday inn main gate.
Next morning we went to magic kingdom, parked the car and off we went. Never took note of where we parked and all we knew about the car was it was red! But thanks to the security who drove us around, we found it eventually.
Next day we did epcot and on day 3 we did the space centre.
That was it we were hooked, went back for a trip of a lifetime the following year with the kids . And almost every year after that.
Oh those prices ... we only paid £99 for the flights too

Edited at 08:46 AM.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
That was great, thanks for posting, our first trip was 1988, just DH and I, we went for 3 days as part of a stop off on our way home from a conference in Barbados.
We hired a Ford Camaro, it was dark when we arrived and we stayed at holiday inn main gate.
Next morning we went to magic kingdom, parked the car and off we went. Never took note of where we parked and all we knew about the car was it was red! But thanks to the security who drove us around, we found it eventually.
Next day we did epcot and on day 3 we did the space centre.
That was it we were hooked, went back for a trip of a lifetime the following year with the kids . And almost every year after that.
Oh those prices ... we only paid £99 for the flights too
88 was one of the years I went - was 15 at at the time and my last visit as a child. Good reference re the car. It’s actually a Chevrolet Camaro not a Ford. Here’s me stood next to our one on our 84 trip. Outside a typical low rise I-Drive hotel of the time.

(Edit - can’t get it to upload but it’s in my retro trip report here - halfway down.)

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...05#post9365205
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
88 was one of the years I went - was 15 at at the time and my last visit as a child. Good reference re the car. It’s actually a Chevrolet Camaro not a Ford. Here’s me stood next to our one on our 84 trip. Outside a typical low rise I-Drive hotel of the time.

(Edit - can’t get it to upload but it’s in my retro trip report here - halfway down.)

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...05#post9365205
I stand corrected... probably why we couldnt find it 😂
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

Loved the fact they had to film most of it in the rain. Also no universal back then , how things have changed.
As for the ticket cost $99 for 4 days at 2 parks. Well now its $130 for 1 day 1 , but 14 days is around $550 for 6 parks which would equate to about $160 for 4 days. So over 30 years I don't think that is particularly a high increase.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Ah, the days when parking was $3 a day and it was $96 for a 4-day ticket to Disney.

And Seaworld was the second most popular theme park.

Also, I'm glad to see it mentions some attractions get "long queues". Sometimes I think people think queues are only a relatively recent thing.

@16:37: "Our tip: Go to the loo"

BTW, was only one side of Future World at Epcot open in 1989? The video only mentioned the Imagination, Land and Seas pavilions. What about the other side?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
As stated first went in 1988... Cypress Gardens... never went... looked like I didn't miss much...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List