Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 May 21, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rjhsteel View Post
Especially useful when you see people actually "Thumbs up" a i'm cancelling my holiday post!

WHy do that?
Because when you’ve been banned from other areas of the forum, this one is the only area you can cause any angst.
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

google/amp/s/o...outputType=amp

De Santis latest. Will be interesting to watch how this plays out.
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
rjhsteel
Very Serious Dibber

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said he was immediately suspending all local COVID-19 emergency orders by executive order on Monday.

“I think that’s the evidence-based thing to do,” DeSantis said. “I think folks that are saying they need to be policing people at this point, if you’re saying that, then you’re really saying you don’t believe in the vaccines.”

DeSantis also signed SB 2006, a bill passed last month that would permanently handcuff what both governors and local mayors can do amid pandemics. The new law gives the Legislature more power to overrule any emergency mandates or restrictions by the governor, the governor the authority to overrule cities and counties, and city and county commissions the power to overrule mayors.

The bill, which takes effect on July 1, would also ban businesses from requiring so-called “vaccination passports,” putting into law DeSantis’s executive order from last month.

He said Monday’s order was a stop-gap measure until the new law fully takes effect on July 1.

The order comes after DeSantis already waived all fines on individuals and businesses.

The new law states that it was “the intent of the Legislature to minimize the negative effects of an extended emergency, such as a pandemic or another public health emergency.”

Any emergency order issued by a city or county has to be “limited in duration, applicability, and scope in order to reduce any infringement on individual rights or liberties to the greatest extent possible,” it states.

Any such order would automatically expire after seven days and would have to be extended by city or county commissions every week for 42 days.

At any time, the law states, the governor can invalidate any local emergency order.

What does that actually mean?
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Lake Buena Vista 2023
LA Disneyland 2023
rjhsteel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
muppster
Excited about Disney

Seems that he thinks they have reached the point where restrictions are doing more harm than good. Its ok to restrict/lockdown when the virus is rampant and nobody has any immunity, but as cases drop and more people are vaccinated there reaches a tipping point... and as one of the more liberal governors DeSantis reckons that point has been reached.
muppster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

How are the infection and death rates doing in the USA upto now.
Watched a news report on cnn about the increasing numbers of Americans refusing the vaccine.
They even mentioned bring forward the vaccination programme for 12 to 15 year olds might be the only chance of reaching herd immunity by vaccine.
With so much uncertainty I wonder if Biden will risk leisure travel to the rest of the world without isolation measures.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
How are the infection and death rates doing in the USA upto now.
Watched a news report on cnn about the increasing numbers of Americans refusing the vaccine.
They even mentioned bring forward the vaccination programme for 12 to 15 year olds might be the only chance of reaching herd immunity by vaccine.
With so much uncertainty I wonder if Biden will risk leisure travel to the rest of the world without isolation measures.
I follow the CDC Covid data tracker daily. Daily positive cases have been consistently falling for the last 7-10 days ish. So it seems the fourth wave that was threatened about a month or so ago tried to get a foothold but didn’t really succeed.

It also shows the vaccination data on there, which despite the news, I find quite encouraging:

82.7% of those over 65 have received a first dose and just shy of 70% are fully vaccinated.

56.1% of the population over the age of 18 has received a first dose with 40.3% fully vaccinated.

44% of the entire population has had their first dose.

So I do think that between vaccines and natural immunity from those who have already had Covid, they may not fall as short of herd immunity as some suggest - but at the moment, the narrative is tipping in favour of persuading as many people as possible to have the jab.
Old 3 May 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Robyn89 View Post
Because when you’ve been banned from other areas of the forum, this one is the only area you can cause any angst.
Banned for being spot on about restrictions.

Unfortunately, many people on here have been sucked in by posts quoting Paul Charles and were expecting everything to be opened up by May. Anyone suggesting this may not be the case have been banned from posting on the Covid thread.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Andy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post

Unfortunately, many people on here have been sucked in by posts quoting Paul Charles and were expecting everything to be opened up by May. Anyone suggesting this may not be the case have been banned from posting on the Covid thread.
I don't remember a single poster on here thinking everything was going to be opened up by May. Everyone knows there is a traffic light system in place and from May 17th travelling abroad won't be illegal.
Mr Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
rjhsteel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post

Dr Doom returns!
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Lake Buena Vista 2023
LA Disneyland 2023
rjhsteel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by rjhsteel View Post
Dr Doom returns!
Just realistic. I said months back that it would be similar to last summer - Europe will open up first. Got banned for that

Been on here 5 years without any hassle until recently.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List