Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 May 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
di5ney
Being a bit Goofy

Toddler advice

My dd is 16months old and freaks out at any unexpected noises from a motor bike going past or even someone starting to talk etc. She is fine with like music playing etc. She had her 15 month check from the health visitor on wednesday and she has no concerns about her as she is meeting all her milestones etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her deal with this? HV called her a lockdown baby and blamed that for it and thinks she will grow out of it. She is also extremely clingy to me too. I cannot go to the toilet without her being there, even when its just us 2, shes holding onto my leg etc. I feel a tad stressed as i literally dont get a minute from her... the only person who gets a look in over me is my mum. I am only working 2 days a week just now so she is with me constantly. She has got a 7 year old sister who is great with her too. Dh works 5 days a week and does his best to distract her when he is home. For her sake though i hope she grows out of this wee phase!

Thanks!
di5ney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Sorry to hear this about your daughter, my advice is to keep trying to get her to let go of you it’s a habit you’ve got to try & break, of course it’ll be hard at first, it’s what she’s got used to.

My Son & DIL have made a big mistake with my DGD who’s 3 in July 😩😢
When they went to Disney for the first time when she was 10 months old to protect her ears from the parades & fireworks they bought her headphones.

Well now if she hears the slightest noise she says “headphones”🤦
I took her for walk & there was a tractor, she was clingy onto me 😢 saying noisy
Now if it was my child when she asked for those headphones again I’d said I can’t find them & wean her off of them, otherwise it’s going to be a serious problem especially at school ☹️
Good luck xxx
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Didn't want to read and run but no real advice I'm afraid. I think most toddlers go through the clingy faze though I guess being a lockdown baby there have been less opportunities to mix so might take slightly longer.

How is she when she is with your mum?

My friends toddler was always sensitive about very loud noises, she did grow out of it which doesn't really help you.

Maybe one weekend she could go to the park with her Dad and sister to give you a break for an hour.
Old 8 May 21, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Oh we get “too loud” from my two constantly (3yr old and 23 months). It’s more my eldest and the younger copies. The hoover, the hair dryer etc

I’ve thought about if they’d need ear protectors for Disney / fireworks but reading one of the other comments they may be right, it’s not a sensory issue for my two just a need to get used to them I guess.

And I’m constantly on the loo with one of them on my knee (tmi?) so I feel you there.

I know it can feel overwhelming but as you’ll know from your eldest it will pass. Just doesn’t feel like whilst you’re in it! X
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

She ll grow out of it , think it’s a common clingy age.
It’s good she will also go to your mum though
Re the noise - try to gradually desensitise her - turn tv up a bit, play some YouTube videos with different noises in
Do you take her into town?

We took ds to a fire work display once and he had a melt down due to the noise so we ended up watching it with him through the pub window

Edited at 09:03 PM.
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
di5ney
Being a bit Goofy

Thanks for all your replies! She is clingy with my mum too. We have taken her to the local shopping centres 3 times since they have reopened (we are in scotland) and she has loved it. Wanting to touch everything lol saying “hiya” to everyone etc. Shes totally fine at the park etc, shes very independant there and runs around and plays etc. Her sister wasnt like this at all so it’s all new to us and i want to be able to help her.
di5ney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

She sounds like she’s doing so well otherwise 👍🏻
Old 8 May 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m sure they’ll be a covid effect on all the kiddies for some time to come. We are their safe place and I know I feel anxious about real life starting again some times.

Is there any opportunity for her to do a day in nursery or a half day and start slowing building up some confidence in being slightly separated perhaps? I have no idea but just sprung to mind as my two love their two days in.

Amazing that she did so well with the HV so I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about as you say she’s happy enough in other places too xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

I wouldn’t worry, lots of toddlers don’t like loud noises. My son used to get really upset by hand dryers, especially Dyson ones.

They do grow out of it and also the clinginess. In a funny way you’ll miss it when they are teenagers!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Sorry to hear this about your daughter, my advice is to keep trying to get her to let go of you it’s a habit you’ve got to try & break, of course it’ll be hard at first, it’s what she’s got used to.

My Son & DIL have made a big mistake with my DGD who’s 3 in July 😩😢
When they went to Disney for the first time when she was 10 months old to protect her ears from the parades & fireworks they bought her headphones.

Well now if she hears the slightest noise she says “headphones”🤦
I took her for walk & there was a tractor, she was clingy onto me 😢 saying noisy
Now if it was my child when she asked for those headphones again I’d said I can’t find them & wean her off of them, otherwise it’s going to be a serious problem especially at school ☹️
Good luck xxx
My granddaughter is 3 in august
Since she was 9 weeks old she’s been at motor racing events here and the USA ..
She wears ear defenders, my friend who works in NASCAR insisted we bought her some ..

But she’s never asked to wear them for anything else like fireworks etc ..

So I don’t necessarily think your son and DIL made a mistake there ( sorry )

But I do think some children are more clingy than others and also more jumpy than others
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List