Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 16 May 21, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
#441
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber
 
Join Date: Jul 14
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
There is a very small and very rapidly diminishing number that don't have access now. In the UK there is no one who cannot afford what is now an essential bit of kit.

But there's always a multitude of excuses for why people don't want to put in the effort. The quality of the information you receive is down to you.
Iím not often shocked but this reply shocked me. For many access to the internet etc is not a priority and actually isnít even on their horizon. Over the last year we have seen a vast amount of children having to be supported through the free school meals scheme even when not at school, whose learning has regressed so much because they cannot access online lessons, the government have had to give out over a million laptops to help children learn - itís one of the reasons Labour wanted free broadband for all; one of the policies I agreed with!

The level of absolute poverty is going up in the western world again and to many internet and laptops are an absolute luxury - just surviving, eating etc are all that some can afford.

google/amp/s/m...e-24002660.amp

google/amp/s/i...381.html%3famp

This is the reality of the uk as of 2019 - Iím sure for these people internet access is the furthest from their mind!

Ps there was an article last week suggesting that a lack of phone access and internet access amongst some groups in the north west was seen as a major barrier to vaccine take up - this is why outreach groups are needed in these areas

Edited at 03:04 PM.
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
#442
Pinchy
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Nov 07
Originally Posted by Nanna Frozen View Post
I agree with your last sentence Pinchy, I donít believe a thing the government tell us!
Well at least it gives ou a window into their thinking even if it is not always right. As with the media I think you learn to interpret what is said and the way it is said.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
#443
Pinchy
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Nov 07
Originally Posted by lisa12000___ View Post
Iím not often shocked but this reply shocked me. For many access to the internet etc is not a priority and actually isnít even on their horizon. Over the last year we have seen a vast amount of children having to be supported through the free school meals scheme even when not at school, whose learning has regressed so much because they cannot access online lessons, the government have had to give out over a million laptops to help children learn - itís one of the reasons Labour wanted free broadband for all; one of the policies I agreed with!

The level of absolute poverty is going up in the western world again and to many internet and laptops are an absolute luxury - just surviving, eating etc are all that some can afford.

google/amp/s/m...e-24002660.amp

google/amp/s/i...381.html%3famp

This is the reality of the uk as of 2019 - Iím sure for these people internet access is the furthest from their mind!

Ps there was an article last week suggesting that a lack of phone access and internet access amongst some groups in the north west was seen as a major barrier to vaccine take up - this is why outreach groups are needed in these areas
The network access is the real issue not the poverty.

A phone and access can be had for very little money now.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
#444
aprilshack
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jun 20
Location: U.K.
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
The network access is the real issue not the poverty.

A phone and access can be had for very little money now.
I'm really shocked you don't have a grasp on the poverty in this country where you actually think everyone has the means to buy a phone.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
#445
Pinchy
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Nov 07
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
I'm really shocked you don't have a grasp on the poverty in this country where you actually think everyone has the means to buy a phone.
Never said everyone. This is rather off my point and if you want to make a point about poverty then the UK is probably not the best place to start.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
#446
aprilshack
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jun 20
Location: U.K.
Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
Never said everyone. This is rather off my point and if you want to make a point about poverty then the UK is probably not the best place to start.
Yes you did. You said...

There is a very small and very rapidly diminishing number that don't have access now. In the UK there is no one who cannot afford what is now an essential bit of kit.


The uk is a perfect place to start as it is my doorstep.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
#447
Pinchy
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Nov 07
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Yes you did. You said...

There is a very small and very rapidly diminishing number that don't have access now. In the UK there is no one who cannot afford what is now an essential bit of kit.


The uk is a perfect place to start as it is my doorstep.
So I'm not sure how these people are getting their news to misinterpret in the first place. If they are too poor for a phone then they are too poor for a TV or to buy a newspaper. So they don't really apply to my original argument anyway.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
#448
Lisa123wm
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jan 08
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
I'm really shocked you don't have a grasp on the poverty in this country where you actually think everyone has the means to buy a phone.
Iím not shocked tbh.
The dibb is not a true representation of the UK population.
Most of us on here will be quite privileged and will most likely not be living in areas of the most under privileged in society.
So, a lot will be blind to the poverty that does exist in this country.
__________________
Sept 93 - Orlando, California, Nevada
Aug 94, Jul & Dec 03, Oct 04, Xmas 05, 06, 07 - DLP
Dec 08/Jan 09 - Residence Inn Seaworld, Orlando
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
#449
Pinchy
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Nov 07
Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Iím not shocked tbh.
The dibb is not a true representation of the UK population.
Most of us on here will be quite privileged and will most likely not be living in areas of the most under privileged in society.
So, a lot will be blind to the poverty that does exist in this country.
Rich or poor having a phone is a priority. As a landlord I have a social landlord friend who has a lot of very poor tenants. These people use the local food banks and are real handful because they have such trouble organising their own lives. But they all have the phones, every one of them. That is the reality of life. They prioritize what money they have like the rest of us.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 21, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
#450
marypoppins38
Imagineer
 
marypoppins38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10
Originally Posted by Nanna Frozen View Post
Could this be a reason why some havenít been vaccinated? No access to the internet to book or transport to get them to a hub? The local health authorities need to look at why.
I don't think so. There have been vaccine buses setting up in the areas and it has been well publicised in the places of worship, asking people to come forward and answering any questions they may have to try and allay any fears. Unfortunately people just seem really reluctant for whatever reason. I am not sure what more they could have done.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in 50th Anniversary
On 22nd June 4:45pm
Beginning Oct. 1, “The World’s Most Magical Celebration” honors the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney... Read More »
Posted in Disneyland Paris News
On 17th June 11:31am
Guests can once again enjoy the outstanding experiences we are known for, from iconic attractions... Read More »
Posted in Seaworld
On 9th June 8:20am
SeaWorld’s first separate-ticketed, nighttime Halloween event, Howl-O-Scream, premieres this fall joining the daytime Halloween Spooktacular... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.3665
CaxtonFX  $1.3610
Covent Garden FX  $1.3774
FAIRFX  $1.3553
John Lewis  $1.3651
M&S  $1.3459
Post Office  $1.3439
Sainsburys  $1.3623
TESCO  $1.3668
Travelex  $1.3601
Updated: 06:30 24/06/2021
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1445
CaxtonFX  €1.1412
Covent Garden FX  €1.1541
FAIRFX  €1.1389
John Lewis  €1.1446
M&S  €1.1284
Post Office  €1.1268
Sainsburys  €1.1418
TESCO  €1.1445
Travelex  €1.1400
Updated: 06:30 24/06/2021

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now



X