Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Mar 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

For those with monzo, does the 0 exchange rate also work when spending online? So e.g. if I were to buy a universal annual pass on their website quoted in dollars, it would be processed in dollars and I’d be charged at whatever the current £ rate is based on their exchange rate (which looks good - says the current dollar rate is 1.38). Thanks!
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

i've used revolut on my last two trips and never had a problem paying which was not my own fault. Remember to check the security settings before you go especially the location settings if you don't have phone data. Its a really good idea but impractical when the address of the business is its head office in new york but you are in Orlando.

The security is very good on the card with lots of features and the rates are brilliant except maybe weekend. No fees for paying with card but there is a free limit on cash withdrawals.

Genuinely a big fan and highly recommend.

I would say the only slight problem i had was that some of the charges did take nearly two months to be charged but i think this is usual with america.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon

Edited at 01:27 PM.
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
Imagineer

Hopping on this thread as I’m interested to find out what’s the best card to get right now. I have a monzo account and have used Revolut on past trips. I always liked how Revolut held the balance in dollars so we knew exactly how much we had in spends. Is this the only card that does this?
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
never had an issue with fairfx, seem to be ok and suit my needs
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

I've used FairFx for 5 or 6 years and, touch wood, never had a problem, except when I ran out of funds!
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

We use a credit card for spending(one with no fees) but have had FairFX as back up since 2010. Never had any issues. They've recently updated and you can now have multiple cards sharing the same balance if you wish.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

Used a Caxton FX card on my last 12 trips to Orlando. Never had an issue.

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrissyWissy
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Following this thread as thinking of using a prepaid card on our next trip. Will check out the MSE website as well

DLRP: Numerous - Most recent May 2014
WDW With Friends: Sept 2001 / Sept 2004 / May 2006
WDW With Family: Feb 2015 / Oct 2016 / May 2019 / Oct 2022
ChrissyWissy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrissyWissy View Post
Following this thread as thinking of using a prepaid card on our next trip. Will check out the MSE website as well
This is a post I put on another thread recently re my current cards.

I've been with FairFx for a number of years, and Revolut more recent times.
I've recently reviewed my options and always like to have a look at Money Saving Expert.
FairFx isn't one of the top recommended ones for MSE, although it used to be. Revolut is still recommended. I saw the change in card type with FairFx and on balance I decided to close my account. I don't think there was anything horrendous about them, but there was mention of charges for unused cards. **
I also recently got a Starling account, after reading about them on here and MSE, as they appear to be really good. I like the fact that they have no fees for withdrawing over a certain monthly amount from ATMs, unlike some/all of the pre paid cards.
So for my next holiday, if it goes ahead, I plan to use a combination of Revolut and Starling for the main spends.
The only potential 'downside' with Starling is that I can't bank a good exchange rate pre holiday, but I've still got that option with Revolut.

** Edit
This is the link to the MSE article re charging on FairFx and other cards if not used. Revolut doesn't have this charge
moneysavingexpert/ne...-charged-a-p2/
Old 14 Apr 21, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
koi
Serious Dibber

I used to use FairFx but now use Revolut for all my foreign currency. Fantastic setup with many crypto currencies if you want to dabble in it. Would not use anything else. Best exchange rate you will find.