Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 13 Apr 21, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Disney/Universal - No Car Queries

We have a split stay booked for next year; Disney and Universal hotels. We don’t hire a car but we have private transfers already booked to/from the airport. Although I’ve got some queries:

We like to stop by a supermarket to grab some bits - which is more difficult being on site at POP. Is there anywhere close and would taxi be the best for this? Any idea on rough costs?

Also visiting different resorts (mainly for restaurants) is this a case of heading to a park then to the correct resort?

Things are easier when at Universal and getting around will be walking distance or the I-ride if needed too.

Thank you
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Muppetnation_20
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Slore View Post
We have a split stay booked for next year; Disney and Universal hotels. We don’t hire a car but we have private transfers already booked to/from the airport. Although I’ve got some queries:

We like to stop by a supermarket to grab some bits - which is more difficult being on site at POP. Is there anywhere close and would taxi be the best for this? Any idea on rough costs?

Also visiting different resorts (mainly for restaurants) is this a case of heading to a park then to the correct resort?

Things are easier when at Universal and getting around will be walking distance or the I-ride if needed too.

Thank you
Can't really help with the supermarket question but when we stayed onsite last year we had a few meals at other resorts. If we were already in a park or Disney Springs we simply got a bus there. If we were at our resort we would often use a Lyft to get there and then go to a park or Disney Springs before heading back to our resort.

Hope this helps.
Muppetnation_20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Many transfer companies include a grocery stop. I think the one that advertises on here does - can’t remember the name.

As for resorts - it depends. Usually you transfer somewhere - we transferred at DS a lot. Or there’s Uber.

Edited at 11:20 AM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebecca_
slightly serious Dibber

We don't hire a car over there and this is how we prefer to do our trips - a week onsite at Disney then a week on I Drive for Universal. We like to get an Uber or Lyft to Walmart on our first night for snacks, cost should only be around $10 each way.
Old 15 Apr 21, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rebecca_ View Post
We don't hire a car over there and this is how we prefer to do our trips - a week onsite at Disney then a week on I Drive for Universal. We like to get an Uber or Lyft to Walmart on our first night for snacks, cost should only be around $10 each way.
Amazing thank you. Think that’ll definitely be what we do. Stock up and cheap trip needed for the one time. We are on site for two weeks though.
Old 19 Apr 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Slore View Post

Thank you
We always stay onsite at Disney and Universal. As we don’t have a kitchen we have never bothered with getting a grocery shop in, we find that the resorts have milk and enough extra bits which is sufficient for us. If I wanted to stock up more though, then I would probably book a resort delivery.

To get to other resorts at Disney using free transport, yes you can either go to a park and then out again or you can transit at Disney Springs. That could be quite time consuming however and you might find Lyft works better for a relatively small cost.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Busyb
Helping Mickey

We did a split stay at Universal and Disney Pop Century and only hired a car for 1 day when we transfered over. The rest of the time we got a few Ubers to Walmart which was cheap and easy. Also being at Pop then you have access to the Skyliner and it was easy access to Caribbean Beach Resort and then when you get off at the back of Epcot you are a ferry ride to the Board Walk.
Busyb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

We don’t hire a car and find Uber/Lyft works well for shopping trips.

Going to resorts for meals isn’t difficult using Disney transport. We find the easiest ones are the ones close to a park, such as Grand Floridian and Contemporary resort restaurants from Magic Kingdom and Boardwalk resort restaurants from Epcot or Hollywood Studios.

There are quite a few supermarkets within walking distance of Universal and cheaper places to eat within walking distance too.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Brill, thank you all. I think Uber/Lyft will be the way forward for the odd few trips when on site.
Old 4 Jun 21, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
dumbomum
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Hi, We are also doing a split stay next year and I am just trying to work out the transfer day between WL and the Universal Hotel (haven't decided yet) Where did you hire a care from at Disney? Was it a hassle? Just trying to work out if it's easier to get a transfer between the two? Many thanks.
dumbomum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List