Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Apr 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mugs for tradespeople

Chatting to my friend yesterday and she was horrified that the tradesmen we had in to do work in the house a couples of weeks ago got a cup of coffee in cheapy mugs I bought from Asda and not my nice ones that the family use.
She asked me why I had specific ones and thought it was to do with Covid but I explained that in the past I have made coffee for workmen in my nice Le Cruesset mugs, they have taken it out to their van for their lunch and then at the end of the day have never brought them back in and have done a runner with them!
I won't risk them running off with my 15 quid mugs now so they get a cheap one, like it or lump it.
Am I being judgemental or does anyone else do the same?
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

We bought cheap white mugs when we had our extension built. I didn't even make them tea or coffee most days just left some sugar, teabags and coffee with the kettle and some milk in a coolbag in the garage with some biscuits so they could help themselves.
Old 15 Apr 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I use my old mugs too. No chance my nice Denby mugs are going outside 🤣
Old 15 Apr 21, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We’ve got some cheap mugs we use for any workmen we have to do jobs for us
Not bothered if they break our 50p mugs from the market but I won’t give them our Denby oor Disney mugs
Old 15 Apr 21, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We have nice Mugs in the kitchen that my Wife uses.

I like a decent mug that is free. My latest one is a Richer Sounds one. If that breaks I have one from National Tyres.

Can't be doing with all this posh stuff. Any Tradesman who is in my house gets what is available.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I have cheap mugs (and indeed cheap tea, coffee etc) for tradespeople too and generally sling them rather than wash them in my machine as they might be covered in outdoor rodent stuff or plaster etc .
It has cost me a small fortune in Nespresso pods the past few weeks. I should have bought a jar of Nescafe!
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post

We have fine bone china mugs which we would use for everyday with impressionist masters on them. I love them but they are divas. Hand wash only and easily damaged.

But if people are working in the garden, or in the house, whether us or trades people we tend to use the collection of proper fat bottomed thicker mugs with stuff like Mr Happy, Pretty Princess, Steps (pop group) and any old funky mugs that the kids got with Easter eggs in them, which aren't so easily scratched. Apart from anything else, when you have 4 or 5 in they tend to just keep their own mug all day or for the job and we just clean them at the end of the day rather than every times new drink.

To be honest there is usually a bit of a rush for the Mr Happy and Mr Grumpy mugs and a bit of a laugh when someone gets the pretty as a picture mug...

I didn't think I was being snobby, just practical (as evidenced by the fact that if we are painting we have the "job" mugs too). We all drink the same though. But now you have me wondering about unconscious bias ...

Curious what others do. May be a poll needed 😁

Edited at 07:41 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I don’t have special mugs or tea / coffee provisions for tradespeople. They will get the same as we use.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My husband will drink tea out of anything, lol. Mind you some of the houses he's been in he's refused the tea as they not been the nicest of places and sometimes thats the million pound homes he works in. 😳
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 21, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I like an enormous mug of tea in the morning so I use either my SeaWorld mug or my Disney Grandma mug. I am a pleb so drink black Nescafé in a free Nescafé mug. We do have some matching mugs (actually we have matching Nescafé mugs) and even some bone china (I have a fear of biting bone china, I was brought up with it and it's always been a concern) but I also have loads of odds and sods the kids left so I use them for any builders etc we have in - Flintstones anyone? Just looked and Dave is using a Spurs Grandad mug, obviously no one else uses that.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List