Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 May 21, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Older southern people moving up north

I have suggested to my wife that when we are old (like the DOGs) we should sell our house and buy a cheap house up north and give the excess money to our son.

Obviously we would have to get used to the northern language, but I don't think we can get used to the unhealthy food Northern people eat (like mars bars in batter) and I don't think there are many marks and spencers up north so we might have to make regular trips down south to get regular supplies of healthy food.

Has any old southern people moved up north?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Trueblue88
Apprentice Imagineer

This is a joke ?
Trueblue88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I did, but I was much younger, it was around 22 years ago and I'm still recovering from the shock of it, this was only an hour up from London as well.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I have suggested to my wife that when we are old (like the DOGs) we should sell our house and buy a cheap house up north and give the excess money to our son.

Obviously we would have to get used to the northern language, but I don't think we can get used to the unhealthy food Northern people eat (like mars bars in batter) and I don't think there are many marks and spencers up north so we might have to make regular trips down south to get regular supplies of healthy food.

Has any old southern people moved up north?
I believe the fastest moving property market is now up North so I think you have missed the boat. Ruislip property is not popular due to the quality of the inhabitants.

Yet again MH you are late in the game
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 21, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

More bang for your buck, move out of your Southern hovel in gangland and move to a castle in the country and have plenty of change.
Your new title can be Lord MH then we can be your humble servants.🤣🤣
Old 1 May 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trueblue88 View Post
This is a joke ?
No joke, why would you think it’s a joke?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

I wouldn't recommend any old people move any further north than Watford - the shock to the system would be too great.

Anyone not "old old" really shouldn't move any further north than Wetherby.

I do know someone who got divorced and got half the money from a tiny semi in Epsom. It was enough to buy her a nice big semi in co. Durham with a big chunk of change left over so she only had to work part time. She was only 45 though so it wasn't particularly dangerous.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
I wouldn't recommend any old people move any further north than Watford - the shock to the system would be too great.

Anyone not "old old" really shouldn't move any further north than Wetherby.

I do know someone who got divorced and got half the money from a tiny semi in Epsom. It was enough to buy her a nice big semi in co. Durham with a big chunk of change left over so she only had to work part time. She was only 45 though so it wasn't particularly dangerous.
Wow that sounds good. Me and my wife sleep in separate bedrooms, so maybe we could buy 2 cheap houses up north and have a house each😁
Old 1 May 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

You could get a pair of semis and knock through - like a connecting door in a hotel room.

Then your wife could pass your "to do" list through without getting her slippers wet walking between.

You'd have to tell her that she'd have to wear Nora Batty type furry slippers if she moved up north - they are compulsory unfortunately.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I just knew this was where you were heading! All these jokes about ‘up North’ and all of a sudden you are in love with the place!

In a minute you’ll be wearing a flat cap, racing pigeons and breeding whippets!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List