Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 May 21, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nemodory
Getting to know the DIBB

Car hire?

We didn’t think about hiring a car when we booked but now I’m not sure if we should have one

We are staying at Disney Pop for two weeks but also going to swim with dolphins at discovery cove and plan to get universal tickets as want to do Harry Potter. Can we just get a taxi to these places from Disney or should we have a car ? I understand there’s free shuttles to get us around at Disney so I’m not sure if it’s silly to have a car just for the days we go to other places as I presume we have to pay to park at Pop ?

We booked over 2 years ago but had to push it back so only just thinking about the car now

Thank you
Nemodory is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Please remember if you hire a car you will have to pay for parking at your hotel. For what you have suggested I would say you can easily make it work without a car.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

If you are only going to use it a couple of times then I wouldnt bother, there are plenty of Ubers etc that could get you around or even the I ride trolley Green line that could take you from the Vineland premium outlets right to Universal for $2 per person.

You would have to pay the resort car parking fees for something that you are not really using.

Dont forget that you can have alcoholic drinks at DC so do you really want to drive
Old 10 May 21, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I can't really add anything to the previous good replies.

Our Florida holidays are totally different to most Dibbers. Haven't been to a park since 2010 and love to explore the other 65,700 square miles that Florida has to offer so we always hire a car.

However for your holiday plans I think you'd be better off without one.

You can use the free WDW transport to get between their parks from your hotel. To get to the likes of Universal and a bit of outlet or mall shopping grab a Uber. I've never sat in a Uber in my life though and what I know about them can be written in 75 font on the back of a stamp.

If you fancy it though you could hire a car for a few days and collect from the Disney Car Care Centre and do all your non-Disney exploring with a hire car. They collect you from your hotel on a free shuttle to the DCCC,

Mick
Old 10 May 21, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

We always have a car as we hit the parks early for a few hours then spend the day shopping or seeing other sites. I’ll always have a car for the convenience. Sounds like in your situation you could get away with not having one and just using Uber when needed.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

With car hire rates really high presently and Disney charging for resort parking , Uber or Lyft are the way to go for your off site days . Google for “Lyft calculator” for prices of individual journals. Most drivers drive for both companies but Lyft is slightly cheaper and offers more discounts.

If we are sticking with just Orlando we never bother with a car now , if you fancy a trip to the beach you could always hire a car for that one day. Disney has a car hire facility on property.

Edited at 11:02 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

How are you planning to spread out your days at Discovery Cove / Universal? It may be worth only hiring the car for part of your stay (you can easily pick one up from the Disney Car Centre).
But with car hire prices as high as they currently are (for 2021 at least), plus the parking and the resort fee. I suspect it would be a lot cheaper to use taxis, however personally I still find the car a lot more convenient
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The big plus with Lyft or Uber is apart from MK they pick you up outside the gates of all the Orlando theme parks , rather than getting a tram or trekking to the car
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Nemodory
Getting to know the DIBB

Thanks everyone I’m so glad Uber is easy over there. I use it all the time here so may as well do the same on holiday too! Sounds like I should save my money and stick to the Ubers
Old 10 May 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nemodory
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by The Fatadder View Post
How are you planning to spread out your days at Discovery Cove / Universal? It may be worth only hiring the car for part of your stay (you can easily pick one up from the Disney Car Centre).
But with car hire prices as high as they currently are (for 2021 at least), plus the parking and the resort fee. I suspect it would be a lot cheaper to use taxis, however personally I still find the car a lot more convenient
I’m still trying to work out how to split our days I had not realised everything was so far apart when we booked so just decided which parks to go to based on what family told us. Might need to look again. I need to plan some more definitely haha but definitely sounds like we could avoid the car and save the money there