Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Nov 17, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
I've not had any reports of customers not getting the end of rental receipts. I doubt the person checking in the vehicle would get any type of kick back on entering the wrong info so don't see why they wouldn't hand the receipt over (unless they see a charge and don't want the hassle from the customer, but as they can't do anything about it anyway they'd just tell the customer to go to the desk). As a matter of routine I always photograph the vehicle dashboard showing fuel & mileage.

Avis's sister company, Budget are causing a few issue of late with the desk clerks adding on emergency sickness cover & Personal accident and effects insurance without telling the customer. They rely on customers not reading the screen and just signing it and unfortunately, through tiredness or habit, people are just signing a contract agreeing to these charges. I make this clear on the voucher and in the email as well as link to a example rental agreement showing no charges, example rental agreement showing additional charges and a photograph of the screen they sign but unfortunately it still happens.
Sorry if I misled you Andy - a few have said there actually isn't a body there to check in their motor, so they're not seeing the car being physically checked/closed out with a $0 to pay, they don't know what's being keyed into the console.

It's a year since our last one day hire with Budget, I find they don't waste time on hard sell with a one day hire. Never had hard sell at Cape Coral, usually a two day hire. I did warn my brother after your heads up earlier about Budget if he does take their hire, which he may do as it's almost half that of Alamo.
Old 23 Nov 17, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

ah okie, I've had a few rentals in a few different states recently and they've always checked them in (Alamo).. Haven't been made aware of vehicles with Budget not being checked in. I imagine its more a case of a few vehicles have arrived back at the same time and the member of staff checking them in is further forward or dealing with an issue and the customer leaving. The vehicles have to be checked in to close the rental. This happens before the vehicle is driven around to be "cleaned" and put back in the row for the next customer.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Avis 'served' us over the summer - for the first time. I will avoid going into detail as you may not read my trip report as a result

Needless to say I spent nearly 26 days of a 28 rental aware ( via the dibb) that this company were not to be trusted - there are many threads already highlighting their scams.
As a result of a long term thread on here I arrived very late and missed the buy fuel now.
It took a day to register but I knew it would bug me!

I have to admit I then took it to the n'th degree to ensure we were not scuppered on the full tank.
There will be photos in the TR as it stuffed us for time into MCO
Receipts and photos.

We were lucky - and that is the best way I can describe my experience.

I don't wish to book with them again and the underhanded way in which they treated many Dibbers throughout this summer of 2017 ( there are a lot of very poor experiences from Avis)
Added to the sense of doubt that many of us had throughout our holiday was far more than most other car hire companies make us endure.

I guess I got what I paid for in the end. However I was unscathed by extra charges, but it took a bit of working on!

Whatever you do or want from them just be more aware than you ever thought you would have to be.

The thought of a $9.99 per gallon refuel charge was and is ridiculous - however it is written as such in their terms

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

We also had 'extras' added to our receipt when we returned our car to the garage. Went to the desk where a pleasant lady apologised, said she couldn't work out what had happened and made out a new receipt showning only the chare for pre-pay fuel which we had agreed to. This amount showed up on our credit card. I just checked our credit card again today and lo & behold there is a toll charge of $22.75. We made sure that the Sunpass switch was in the off position and paid at the booth at every toll on the way down. On the way back, we chucked quarters in the basket & took pics of the screen to show we had gone through the cash only lane. Will email them today and ask what they are playing at. When I get my money back I will inform them that people in the uK are well aware of their dirty tricks.

Katie
Old 23 Nov 17, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katie View Post
We also had 'extras' added to our receipt when we returned our car to the garage. Went to the desk where a pleasant lady apologised, said she couldn't work out what had happened and made out a new receipt showning only the chare for pre-pay fuel which we had agreed to. This amount showed up on our credit card. I just checked our credit card again today and lo & behold there is a toll charge of $22.75. We made sure that the Sunpass switch was in the off position and paid at the booth at every toll on the way down. On the way back, we chucked quarters in the basket & took pics of the screen to show we had gone through the cash only lane. Will email them today and ask what they are playing at. When I get my money back I will inform them that people in the uK are well aware of their dirty tricks.

Katie
Was this Avis too please Katie? How long after your return did the toll charge come through?
Old 23 Nov 17, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
Was this Avis too please Katie? How long after your return did the toll charge come through?
Yes it was Avis. We left MCO on 8th November and the charge wen on my statement on the 17th November, though I just checked it today.
Old 23 Nov 17, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy View Post
Avis's sister company, Budget are causing a few issue of late with the desk clerks adding on emergency sickness cover & Personal accident and effects insurance without telling the customer. They rely on customers not reading the screen and just signing it...
That's exactly what Hertz did to us - the only thing on the screen was an odd amount of dollars. I queried it and was told it's just the way it works the deposit out and we get it back anyway.

Hertz cancelled half on return and refunded the rest after a few back and forth emails.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Monko
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I suspect you hadn't pre paid to bring back empty otherwise you wouldn't have filled up before dropping it off.
Sadly you then became hostage to their sharp tricks. Any slight hint of not being full and they will be all over you like a rash.
I would challenge them but don't hold your breath.
It couldn't have been any more full - I'd just put another $14 in about at a garage about 3 miles from the airport - for that very reason.
At the end of the day, their website simply states if you return the car full then you won't be charged.

For further info, my ticket out (as stated previously I didn't receive anything on drop off) doe state:

FUEL SVC: .5550/MI 9.990/GAL
Old 23 Nov 17, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Monko View Post
It couldn't have been any more full - I'd just put another $14 in about at a garage about 3 miles from the airport - for that very reason.
At the end of the day, their website simply states if you return the car full then you won't be charged.

For further info, my ticket out (as stated previously I didn't receive anything on drop off) doe state:

FUEL SVC: .5550/MI 9.990/GAL
Mmm. That amount is the refuelling fee if they dont consider it full.

I know Andy and a few others on here take a photo of the fuel gauge. Plus some Companies insist on seeing a receipt showing fuel purchase within a certain distance of the airport.
Lets be honest about this, they have scammed you so into battle now.
Best of luck.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
theriler
Getting Excited

Am I reading that right as them charging $9.99 per gallon if you havent pre-paid?
theriler is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List