Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Dec 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Driving to the Keys on arrival at FLL

We have booked our flights today

We arrive at Fort Lauderdale (BA flights) around 2pm.

Has anyone driven straight down to Key West? We would be splitting the driving.

Or should we stop somewhere like Key Largo and get a head start first thing in the morning?

We only have 11 nights so we are looking at 3 in they Keys, 3 in Naples and 5 in AMI.

Katie
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Definitely drive somewhere closer then continue your journey the next day, when you'll be up at stupid o'clock anyway
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
We have booked our flights today

We arrive at Fort Lauderdale (BA flights) around 2pm.

Has anyone driven straight down to Key West? We would be splitting the driving.

Or should we stop somewhere like Key Largo and get a head start first thing in the morning?

We only have 11 nights so we are looking at 3 in they Keys, 3 in Naples and 5 in AMI.

Katie
It's a bloomin' long way! We did Naples to Key West in August (in my trip report if you fancy a read about the drive - link in my signature) and it took us nearly 7 hours. It was fine getting to from Naples to Miami, but once we got to the Keys themselves it is literally one road in and mainly 40 mph limits. We crawled along for ages - it's 100 miles ish once you get to Key Largo and it's slow going. I'd definitely consider staying one night in Fort Lauderdale and travelling down the next day fresh.

Have you been before? We went for the first time in the summer and LOVED it! So much so we are going over next week to spend longer at Key West and completely skipping Orlando this time.
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Anne K View Post
Definitely drive somewhere closer then continue your journey the next day, when you'll be up at stupid o'clock anyway
I think that needs to be the plan

Originally Posted by Leyfy View Post
It's a bloomin' long way! We did Naples to Key West in August (in my trip report if you fancy a read about the drive - link in my signature) and it took us nearly 7 hours. It was fine getting to from Naples to Miami, but once we got to the Keys themselves it is literally one road in and mainly 40 mph limits. We crawled along for ages - it's 100 miles ish once you get to Key Largo and it's slow going. I'd definitely consider staying one night in Fort Lauderdale and travelling down the next day fresh.

Have you been before? We went for the first time in the summer and LOVED it! So much so we are going over next week to spend longer at Key West and completely skipping Orlando this time.
I think we have just about decided to stay either in FLL or i Key Largo.

Its our first time - although its been on the "to do" list for a while now!

Am giving myself a headache with all the planning but have to go with is before DH looses interest in looking at loads of hotels!

We have narrowed down our other stays - just need this one night now!

Katie
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Love the keys but only 1 road in (and out!) So traffic can build up quite easily. Watch for the constantly changing speed limits too.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

I think the drive down is part of the enjoyment so I wouldn't rush down just to get to Key West,take your time and enjoy the drive.
Old 12 Dec 17, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

May I suggest a route to avoid Miami/built up areas if driving from SW Fl or Orlando. From Bokeelia, SW Fl our personal preference is the I-75, thro the Naples toll, turning right onto the 29 towards the 41. At the Marathon garage on the 41/Everglades City traffic lights we buy a Subway then drive along the 41, stopping off at The Oasis visitor centre to eat our Sub and check out the alligator. Hit the 41 again and the first set of traffic lights on the outskirts of Miami, we hang a right onto the 997, go thro Homestead, coming out the other side onto the 1A for the Keys.

From Orlando haul down the 27, after you've driven under the I-75, a few mile further on fork right onto the 997, thro Homestead and turn right onto the 1A.

When you drive thro Homestead keep going straight, you might wonder at one stage if you're on the right road, you are, just keep straight on that road. Google map HERE
Old 13 Dec 17, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

As someone who has driven for a living driving 10 hours in a day doesn't phase me. I am doing the exact same journey in August, having previously driven from Fort Lauderdale to Key West and Key West to Orlando on a previous holiday.

Would I do this journey after a flight from the UK? No.

My reasoning is as follows:

1. You say its only 2pm - It isn't, your body thinks it 7pm - you've already been awake since 6am and you have a 5 hour drive ahead of you, meaning by the time you get to Key West your body will have been awake for at least 18 hours.

2. Part of the beauty of Key West (in my humble opinion) is the drive down the keys. By grabbing a cheapish hotel in Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood or Miami you'll be awake early enabling you to, pack the car, miss the Miami traffic, take a leisurely drive down the Key, Stop off a Robbie's or Harriette's for breakfast and arrive in Key West in plenty of time for a little chilaxing before you head to Mallory square for the sunset.

And if I may make a suggestion - When you leave Key West, Set off early and stick to the speed limits, I've never seen so many Police cars out speed trapping at 5am as I saw on route 1 that day.

Edited at 03:22 PM.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 17, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

If I arrived at 2pm then I would be enroute to Key West as soon as possible otherwise you'll have to change your plan to 2 nights Key West.
Old 13 Dec 17, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

The drive down the keys is beautiful. Make sure you do it in the light of day. And take your time and stop along the way. I would leave the next morning and plan a good part of a day to get down the Keys.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List