Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 May 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nippydan View Post
Floated this idea instead of Disney this year to the kids. Daughter had a meltdown so leaving it for now but I have told her to research universal and think about it for a few days as she loves Harry Potter.
My fav rides of all time and we always enjoy the train between the two - they were building the new ride when we last went and it looked pretty good. One of my favourite memories is when we were walking through the Marvel section in IOA and Spiderman came running past my wife and she was quite startled and shouted "Jesus Christ" the Cast member turned around and said "no mam just Spiderman" - it was really funny
Old 29 May 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hagrids is my favourite ride in Orlando at the moment, we’ll a very close tie between that at fop. (disclaimer that I haven’t been on smugglers run or rotr)

I love the team members at universal, especially Blue’s “trainer”. Beetlejuice and Doc Brown are always awesome too
Cabana Bay: Sep 2019 Oct 2023
DLP: Oct 05 Sep 13 Feb 14 July 19
WeHeartOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Yes, we have done 5 nights at Universal before too. Planning on 10 days at Universal in November, with 1 Disney day. Every Orlando trip (apart from the first) we have done either just Universal or just Disney, we can't justify the cost of both sets of full park tickets for 1 trip.

We absolutely love the Disney parks, but Universal is just a much more relaxed and easier experience overall, with no need to book FP's or even dining reservations really. I enjoy the slower pace.
Old 29 May 20, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

So come on them you bad influence people what do I do with my other 3/4 days I have booked over Christmas do I stop in the HRH for the whole duration - what's Universal like at Christmas

Naughty Bad people of the DIBB.
Old 29 May 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cuttycrew
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by LostPrincess View Post
Hi all,

Due to a busy and uncertain schedule I don't think I can do my WDW trip in 2021. We might be able to do a 1 week trip however, and I'm wondering if we should just do a week at Universal. Has anyone done this? Did it feel too short and not worth the travel? I love Universal and 5 full days would be fab, but I also worry about being so close to Disney and being upset that I couldn't go. It might be better to wait until 2022, but we're both studying right now and I don't know if we'll have to work around teaching commitments in 2022 too. It's so hard!

Any experiences of 1 week Universal trips is much appreciated.
Hi, we did a 5 day stay last September and so glad we did now as it looks highly likely may be a couple of years before we want to go to Disney , gutted we lost our May booking there. Back to your question we stayed at Sapphire Falls and it was a brill holiday i'd stay at a Universal hotel and take advantage of extra hours if they offer them , travel using shuttles is handy although we personally walk to City Walk IOA and Universal as it was only a 10 minute stroll, got boat too and used Lyft discount to get to I-Drive to go on Starflyer and have a look around. I was pleasantly surprised how reasonable all restaurants were in City Walk great VFM , we defo felt we had had a great break with more than enough time to fully enjoy all 3 parks at a price as cheap as a week in Greece or Gran Canaries which was our alternative choice.
2019 Sapphire Falls
2020 FrenchQuarter/Nov Disney All Star Res
cuttycrew is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

Last August we did a 7 day trip flying out of manchester with tui and using the coach transfer. We stayed in cabana bay suite with kitchen. I have to say it was relaxing and very enjoyable. CB had a couple of different pool areas with lazy river, but as you could just walk out the back in VB did not really use the pools (apart from to pick up a towel to take to VB). The food court is good with some good value food and we bought the resort mugs (unlimited tea, coffee, soft drinks, icies ) which work out great value.
The buses from cabana bay to the hub are frequent (no more the 5 min wait) so into and back quickly.
before we went i was hesitant that the food at city walks would be mega expensive but in reality with things like panda express and the sandwich place (up the stairs) it was workable without a car. We also went to Millers ale house on kirkland easy walk , or boat to portofino and walk out the back.
A couple of nights we got a Lyft down to a couple of places on international drive ($8 each way).
Been close the parks and having a multiple park ticket meant we did not rush and managed to do everything a number of times.
VB out the back was brill as we went in on an evening when not too hot and less q's etc.
Overall 7 days worked well and we would look to do it again. Not having to drive etc saved money and the coach transfer was so easy.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Yes several times, we've stayed onsite at Animal Kingdom Lodge and only been to Universal parks, no WDW have also stayed at Universal, the longest stay being for 7 nights.

Absolutely worth it & no, we didn't miss WDW, it was just a different type of holiday.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Thanks for everyone's responses! We're left with 2 options now. We will either:
1. Plan to go to Orlando for our original 17 nights in September but without Disney (subject to the situation, of course). Get Seaworld and Busch in there too, it would be a very relaxing holiday.
OR
2. Do just 1 week in Universal at some point in 2021 (as early as possible). Staying on site at Universal sounds great but for budget reasons we may be more likely to get a cheap Rosen Inn type place on I Drive and uber (or walk!) in

And Disney will come in May 2022. That will make it 5 years without Disney for me but when I go back I really want to do it properly! Although I'm not sure we'll ever be staying on site again.

Time will tell!
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Yes. We did 6 nights in February this year. Got a great deal with BA Gatwick to Tampa. Stayed at Rosen Shingle Creek. Lovely hotel. Stayed at RPR one night and did Mardi Gras. Totally totally worth it. Just me and DH and loved it. We did a sneaky 1 day at Magic Kingdom as he had an AP and I had a unused 1 day ticket. But honestly enough to do in a week without Disney 👍🏻
Old 29 May 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

We did a week in February - Saturday to Saturday. We stayed at Aventura. Got a pretty good deal £610 for the hotel for a week with BA and we had Aer Lingus flights via Dublin.
Loved it and would absolutely do it again.
I’m nearly finished my trip report. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...1#post14314161

We also did 9 nights last Easter which included 6 at universal.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post13794026

We’ve also done a week at universal in July combined with offsite. I only have a food report for this trip https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1085442