Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 20, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I guess we were just unlucky then

That looks like a bigger job then a ceiling. What work did you have done? Was the asbestos just in the Artex?
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

We have had multiple artex (dimple effect) ceilings in our 17 year old house plastered over. Not sure exactly how it was done but I’m pretty sure they didn’t pull any of them down. Never thought about it looks perfect but I’m no builder so paid no attention to what they did. Thought they’d just plastered over the artex but maybe screwed boards in?
There is only asbestos in the old stuff- I’m no builder but I do know a bit about asbestos.

Edited at 07:42 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The problem with boarding over existing boards is getting the joints spot on with the joists.

OK you can use a 'stud finder' sensor but it's not perfect. Every joint needs to be slap bang in the middle of a joist. Easy to do when you first board as you can see the joists. Damned hard when you can't!
That's when you can get problems further down the line with cracks appearing and even worse a section dropping.

Yes it can be done but it's hard and can be problematic.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

I was unsure on our artexed ceilings when we first moved in some 25 years ago, my dads builders came in and plastered all the ceilings flat. So ive never worried about them since. They aint perfect but nobody has ever pointed out the imperfections 👍
Old 18 Sep 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

You need to be carefull of skimming over artex. I have seen the skim and artex peel off when this is being done. The wet plaster can soak into the artex and pull it down even if it has been up years.
If the artex is not to thick, I would overboard the ceilings. You will need to knock hammer holes through the old ceiling to locate the joists. Then mark the top of the walls with a pencil were the joists are.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Fairysparkled View Post
You need to be carefull of skimming over artex. I have seen the skim and artex peel off when this is being done. The wet plaster can soak into the artex and pull it down even if it has been up years.
If the artex is not to thick, I would overboard the ceilings. You will need to knock hammer holes through the old ceiling to locate the joists. Then mark the top of the walls with a pencil were the joists are.
You are quite right about the plaster reacting with the old Artex. That’s why I said about Unibond. That creates a seal that stops that problem plus give great adhesion.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Didnt use unibond, used a blue stuff better than unibond still got it somewhere its a waterproofing stuff for plasterboard in bathrooms
Old 18 Sep 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
Didnt use unibond, used a blue stuff better than unibond still got it somewhere its a waterproofing stuff for plasterboard in bathrooms
Probably an Arca product. They make good gear.

Old 18 Sep 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
You are quite right about the plaster reacting with the old Artex. That’s why I said about Unibond. That creates a seal that stops that problem plus give great adhesion.
The problem I mentioned is when the artex has not been bonded to the original ceiling. Have had it come down on me a couple of times. I dont know many plasterers that would take the chance. I would always plate it.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
captainuk
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
The problem with boarding over existing boards is getting the joints spot on with the joists.

OK you can use a 'stud finder' sensor but it's not perfect. Every joint needs to be slap bang in the middle of a joist. Easy to do when you first board as you can see the joists. Damned hard when you can't!
That's when you can get problems further down the line with cracks appearing and even worse a section dropping.

Yes it can be done but it's hard and can be problematic.
Its simple to find the joists, just knock a small hole either side of the joists with a hammer adjacent the walls then find the centre of each joist and string a line along them. Less mess than taking the ceiling down, provided the original is flat.