Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Sep 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ClareO
slightly serious Dibber

ClareO's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Insurance cover

I'm a little confused about travel insurance. My understanding is that if you book while FCO travel restrictions are in place you could not get insurance. Yet lots of people on here appear to be booking. I've seen some flights I like for August 2021. I'm happy with the cancellation policy but do want to be insured. Thanks.
ClareO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cd900
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Depends on the policy but with mine I’d still be covered for medical etc if I booked while FCO advice was still in place but not for cancellation. So if people are happy with the airlines cancellation policy/change policy they could go ahead and book. Personally I’m (impatiently) waiting until everything is a little clearer and the FCO advice is lifted. I can’t bear to book another holiday and not be able to go on it!
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by ClareO View Post
I'm a little confused about travel insurance. My understanding is that if you book while FCO travel restrictions are in place you could not get insurance. Yet lots of people on here appear to be booking. I've seen some flights I like for August 2021. I'm happy with the cancellation policy but do want to be insured. Thanks.
A few folk have mentioned that the improbably-named Battleface insurance seem to provide cover even with FCO restrictions, so it might be worth taking a look there.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

We have insurance through Barclays with our bank account.

They won't cover for cancellation due to COVID-19, but they will cover for illness whilst on holiday due to COVID-19.

The cover is linked to the FCO advice at time of travel, not at time of booking.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post

They won't cover for cancellation due to COVID-19, but they will cover for illness whilst on holiday due to COVID-19.

The cover is linked to the FCO advice at time of travel, not at time of booking.
Exactly the same as our Staysure Comprehensive annual policy which we renewed early June.

Cancellation due to Covid not covered but unlimited medical cover if you get ill with it whilst abroad unless FCO advises against travel.

Totally irrelevant as to what advisories in place when you book the holiday.

Mick
Old 20 Sep 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post

Same as our with Columbus. I am a bit worried though because if we get covid before we go, we lose the lot

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ClareO
slightly serious Dibber

ClareO's Reviews
Thank you all. So, I have booked with BA. I'm understanding that I would be better not to book insurance whilst FCO travel advisory is in place? I do have Lloyds bank cover to cover me now and therefore any additional cover would not be worth it yet? Is that correct? I have paid £700 deposit so worst case scenario is that I lose that I guess. I'm so confused. Hope I'm doing the right thing. I absolutely would not travel without insurance in place so a bit nervous.
ClareO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ClareO View Post
Thank you all. So, I have booked with BA. I'm understanding that I would be better not to book insurance whilst FCO travel advisory is in place? I do have Lloyds bank cover to cover me now and therefore any additional cover would not be worth it yet? Is that correct? I have paid £700 deposit so worst case scenario is that I lose that I guess. I'm so confused. Hope I'm doing the right thing. I absolutely would not travel without insurance in place so a bit nervous.
If you have Lloyd's cover, why do you need any additional cover?

As I understand, in my case, and others as mentioned, the insurance is dependent on FCO advice at time of travel, not at time of booking...

Also, if you have booked with BA, you would be unlikely to lose your deposit as they are offering a voucher if you cancel, up until 3 weeks before travel (although this must be used by a certain date, April 2022 from memory but you would be wise to double check)
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

Lloyd’s bank have just changed their insurance T&C’s which are worth checking, we got a letter this week. In terms of OP, a lot of places are allowing you to book with Covid guarantees, so if you had to move your holiday due to Covid you can. As such, you may not need cancellation insurance related to Covid as the guarantee would be your first point of call. Beyond that, it’s also being very conscious about what you’ve spent; I have a pre Covid DCL deposit that’s fully refundable anyway, and a Disney holiday booking that was a total of £150 deposit that, at worse case, I might lose but it’s an affordable loss. I’m waiting to book flights until BA do extend their Covid guarantee to September 2021 (as we have vouchers to use). If they don’t, and I can’t get insurance, then I’ll just have to wait it out and at the point I have to pay the holiday off, worse case we would have to cancel, as much as it would devastate my little boy who has inherited a Disney planning thing off me, and has recently told me he believes coronavirus is all a conspiracy theory anyway!
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ClareO
slightly serious Dibber

ClareO's Reviews
Thank you. I may well be worrying unnecessarily. We are due to go in July 2021 and I'm happy with the BA cancellation/ amendment terms. I thought I read that if I booked when the ban was on any insurance wouldn't be valid when I travel which, actually sounds silly now I think about it! Such strange times. I thought I had this Florida malarkey sussed but I feel I now know nothing!