Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Aug 16, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GIRLPOWER View Post
I am considering giving up alcohol completely.

Every weekend and event is becoming taken over by it and I am beginning to think more and more about cutting it out completely.

I would really appreciate any advice or comments as it feels sadly that life would be so boring without it.

Can life be as fun teetotal?
Never considered it and its not something i am planning to consider.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I stopped drinking when pregnant, not that I used to drink much but I've never gone back to it. That's over 10 years ago now.

I feel I have just as much fun not drinking - indeed when others around you have been enjoy a tipple or two it can be hilarious to watch.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
A good few years ago, I found like the OP that I was drinking a couple of glasses of wine most evenings- and more at the weekend. I can't really remember what prompted it but I remember feeling really tired and lethargic one Sunday and just decided that I was wasting my life, so stopped drinking almost completely. I felt soooo much better for it.

I will have a drink here and there but I usually go months without a drink and will then have a frozen cocktail and thats it again for another few months. It doesn't bother me at all and I love being able to enjoy my weekends without the after effects of a drink the night before.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
smythy21
Imagineer

smythy21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
its totally upto what you want. my mam and dad dont drink at all and they enjoy their lives. all the money they have saved by not drinkin makes them to go florida twice a year
Old 21 Aug 16, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
My partner thought I didn't drink, until I made the mistake of coming home sober one night

If you do decide to stop dont tell anyone or your self that you are not drinking anymore, then if you do have one you haven't let your self down or have anyone saying "i told you you couldn't do it"

Just say your having a break for a bit, see how you get on.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

I have always volunteered to be the driver, ever since I passed my test aged 17 yrs. It's no great hardship for me not to drink alcohol.

We don't go out to pubs very often these days but we do have wine if we eat out locally. Our alcohol consumption has increased at home over the past year or so, and it is becoming more of a habit.

I have a couple of glasses of wine most nights, and DH drinks beer. At the weekend DH also drinks spirits. I don't drink enough to get a hangover - I hate the feeling.

I have decided to cut right back on alcohol, limiting it to weekends only (starting this week). I want to improve my general health and lose weight, so limiting my alcohol will mean less calories and I've also rejoined a gym The money that I save on alcohol will go into a savings jar for our holiday next year - I imagine I will be rather embarrassed when we count it

Deb :tnkani:
Old 22 Aug 16, 06:18 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyNikki
slightly serious Dibber

If I am honest I have done dry January and tried to cut back before but it never lasts and I am more than anything concerned about staying healthy and being here as long as possible for my family.

I'm going to France this weekend for a week and when I return I intend to cut it out.

Some really good advice here about not telling anyone and getting into exercise. I have found a running club and I'm going to look at starting yoga as well.

I will keep the thread updated with my progress and an honest opinion of if life really is more fun.
DisneyNikki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 16, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Well I had a few beers Friday night as we had friends over, but the rest of the weekend I was really good. Saturday I had a small beer whilst waiting for a take away - they always offer me a complimentary drink while I wait and usually I have a large so I went with a small one - normally when I get home i'd carry on drinking but didn't, I just stuck to water. It was nice to wake up Sunday morning and not feel fuzzy!

Reason for my post - you can do it!
Old 22 Aug 16, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hello,

I love a nice bottle of fizz or a few cocktails, but the older I get the worse the hangover for a lot less booze! very unfair!

So I decided to cut it out totally during school nights ie working week and cut down or stop on a weekend

It's going pretty well - had a big afternoon / night out with friends on Saturday but stopped drinking at 7.30pm switched to water and tea - I had a good night and no hangover the next day. However I was pretty lethargic in the afternoon and did overeat all related to the previous days drinking.

I've read a book that I keep re-reading called 'How to party sober' by Rachel Black its got some great tips
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 16, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Me.

I gave it up mainly for health reasons but could drink now if I wanted to.

I just don't, want to that is.

I feel so much better in myself. More energy, I don't lose mornings due to feeling bleugh and i am much mor considerate of my overall health also now

It's not for everyone but the fact you are even thinking it may mean that you are ready to cut back, even if you don't go teetotal in the end. A detox might get you back on track.

Chocs
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread