Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 22 Aug 18, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Beautiful photos Alicia, manatees are such a special site in the wild. Thanks for posting even though the mote beach for yesterday didn't look great your photos show that for a small island the difference in the beaches from Manatee to AMI and bayside are obviously better. Have a wonderful holiday and thanks again for sharing
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
We arrived on AMI yesterday, the island is like a ghost town. We had dinner up at the Rod and Reel pier and the water was lovely and clear. We were the only ones in the restaurant though which is unheard of!
The Bay side certainly seems better. Took a walk to the beach off of Magnolia Ave entrance this afternoon and apart from one other group we were the only ones there. The water had a slight tinge to it and there were a few dead fish and eels washed up.
On a more positive note we saw a pod of 3 dolphins and 3 manatees whist we were up by the pier. First time seeing manatees in the wild, I’ll admit I did get a little emotional! I then went to a turtle hatchling release last night down on Coquina beach. Was amazing to witness!

Tell me about the turtle hatch ?

Would love to witness this, was it just chance or did you plan it ?
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
Tell me about the turtle hatch ?

Would love to witness this, was it just chance or did you plan it ?
Hi there.
If you are on Facebook, follow Anna Maria Island Friends. They will put details on there if a release is planned. It was put on Monday morning for that evening. Hopefully you’ll get to see one, was amazing to witness

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Apologies, I didn't update this thread last night. Below is the post I placed on the Sanibel thread, my first paragraph is in reply to another post:

That's a tad disturbing, but may add credence to an island friend's email 2 days ago. He'd spoken to one of the island's 'one man band' fishermen, who at 12 miles out from Pine Island, pulled up one of his net bags/pots to find it covered with dead, rotting fish. He decided to put a camera into the water and was stunned by what he saw, he slowly moved his camera full circle, and as far as the cam picked up the sea bed was about a foot thick with dead fish. The frustrating part is either his cam can't, or he didn't, record what he saw which makes it hearsay until somebody actually records/proves.

Apparently the Army Corps re-opened Lake O gates yesterday, 21st Aug; video of blue-green (cyanobacteria) algae water release HERE. Floridians are majorly peed off and bracing themselves for further toxic fall out, plus Fox News announced today that Lee County is out of money to clean the toxic algae from the canals. Another dolphin washed up, on Manasota Beach, Sarasota County. As Davie mentions above, red tide now affecting Clearwater/St Pete's area.

Pasco County shrimpers facing severe hardships, see News Channel 8 video HERE.

7th August, video of Palaco Grande canal, Cape Coral, HERE.

The photo below was taken on the 20th Aug, this is in the canal in the Cornwallis/Palaco Grande/Del Prado in Cape Coral, this area is very close to the river whereas canals further inland remain clear.

Old 23 Aug 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

A friend on Pine Island, who we jokingly called the Manatee Whisperer due to 8 years of manatee research, was recently shadowed by NBC-2 after he discovered a dead dolphin and yet another manatee calf in Pine Island Sound waters. He took the crew to an area that is generally protected from red tide but whether it remains that way... Gary was vocally restrained (had to be) but he's so disappointed with the State/Gov's lack of action. Video HERE.

Spoke with Gary earlier, like others he's hugely disappointed the Army Corps had to reopen Lake O gates on the 21st Aug, hoping fall-out won't be as bad but with the prevalence of red tide he's not holding his breath.
Old 24 Aug 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
x_Ange_x
Apprentice Imagineer

We are due to go to AMI for 3 nights on 3rd November - staying right on the beach -Gulf side.

I have been twice before - got married there in 2016 ( we almost cancelled that stay due to red tide)

Watching all the updates with everything crossed that things clear up before we go.

I think if things are still as bad in a few weeks i'm going to cancel our stay there but hate to do so
Oct 14 Villa, HRH, AMI - Oct 16 Villa, HRH, AMI
OCT 18 Villa, AMI- June 2019 R&R AMI 17 nights
x_Ange_x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
maznorm
Very Serious Dibber

My dad lives in Sarasota and has emphysema (sp). He is really struggling at the moment and is just so upset and angry that this is being allowed to happen. Loads of businesses are temporarily closing as well due to the fact that they are on or around the beach area and it's just not safe or worth opening. So so sad.
maznorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We decided to hire a boat today after our Happy Paddlers kayaking tour was cancelled yesterday because of the Red Tide. We started off by heading South into Sarasota Bay. The smell was horrific with more dead fish than I have ever witnessed! We soon turned around and headed North into Tampa Bay by Rod and Reel pier. It was much better up there, still a few dead fish but nothing like around Longboat Key and Sarasota. The day was topped off when we saw numerous pods of dolphins on our way back to the marina. I also can’t recommend Bradenton Beach Marina high enough, the staff are excellent and so friendly

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

I didn't realise until Gary (Manatee whisperer) advised late last night that following the opening of Lake O gates on the 21st August, they were also opened, for longer, yesterday, 23rd August and today. As previously reported Lake O level tops at circa 12 foot and pre release it was 14.5 foot, taken over the whole body of water that's a heck of a lot of 'fresh' water to be released into salt...
was reported/posted 23rd Aug by WPTV, the 'tomorrow' they refer to is today, 24th, when the Corps ramped up discharges - that's three days out of four with more to come! From the article:

'The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced that it will increase the discharges from Lake Okeechobee beginning on Friday, as Southwest Florida residents continue to battle the blue-green algae blooms that are plaguing local waterways.

Engineers say that the adjusted releases are expected to achieve a 14-day average of 2,000 cubic feet per second from Moore Haven Lock, which feeds into the Caloosahatchee River, and a 1,500 cubic feet per second pulse from St. Lucie Lock'.

Whilst most aren't holding their breath they're desperately hoping the latest releases don't bring devastation on a scale of what's already been seen.

Sarasota Army veteran is flying his Stars and Stripes upside down (I was aware this is a form of a distress call) to signal distress for Florida waters. Fox4 video report HERE.

Irony in full flow (pardon the pun)... in March 2018 Fort Myers was fined $22k for releasing untreated water into the Caloosahatchee when all electricity was lost after Irma hit - no electricity = no pumps. The question now being asked, 'why isn't the EPA laying charges/fines for the millions of gallons of cyanobactia being spewed from Lake O'?
Old 25 Aug 18, 02:33 AM  
Link to this Post
missymouse
slightly serious Dibber

We are currently on Anna Maria island, we are staying on Bradenton beach and their is a large number of dead fish along the beach, we went to the north shore by rod and reel yesterday and that was a lot better the water was a lot clearer and the beaches had been cleared. We where staying in fort Myers about 10 days ago and again there where lots of dead fish, it was slightly better up by time square.

I feel really sorry for the local businesses because everywhere is so quiet, it is sad that we can’t enjoy the beaches as much during our holiday but it is affecting their income. I really hope something is done about this soon as it is terrible to see beautiful coastal areas affected so badly.
missymouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List