Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 29 Aug 18, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Question The Red Tide Is Gone - Anna Maria Island

Hello,

Today I queried the options for deferring or cancelling our holiday villa on Anna Maria Island we have paid £3,000 for two weeks there and I don't want to go and not be able to enjoy the gulf and the beaches

This is the reply I received which seems to not tally with Mote beach report or local news reports, don't know what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated

The red tide has washed away on the island and the beaches have been clear since sunday At the north end of the beach, where your house is, it has been clear since the middle of last week.

beachrentals.mobi, LLC
5316 Marina Drive
Holmes Beach, FL 34217
(P) 941.778.1979
(F) 941.778.3676
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

That's great news for everyone and the wildlife as well
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

Sorry Alyson but that's not correct and I've seen several posts on FB etc saying other rental companies on AMI are giving out the same message simply because they are trying to protect their clients. I've also seen a post where someone has cancelled and been able to claim back costs on their travel insurance as Florida has declared a state of emergency.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Unfortunately I do not think local businesses will always be truthful.

There are 4 webcams on the island which currently show a deserted beach and the rod 'n reel pier likewise with what looks like very dark murky water.

There seems no reason for the beach report to be fabricated so proceed with caution.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

bradenton/living/foo...217464405.html

With odor receding the past few days, many restaurants are offering special deals and events to get people back out on the beach.

“We’re trying to stimulate business,” said Denese Love, bar manager at Star Fish Company Market and Restaurant.

Star Fish Company is offering 30 percent off of dine-in bills all day Wednesday and Thursday.

Since Saturday, Love says conditions at the restaurant have been beautiful, and there is no odor.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
alexisemma31
Imagineer

We were in the area up until Sunday (although not as far North at AM Island) and all of the beaches were deserted. We visited Manasota Beach and Boca Grande to see what it was like. On M Beach dead fish lined the sand, it didn't smell nice and the sea was brown. The Red Tide was definitely still there then and I'm sure it can't have cleared up overnight.
Old 29 Aug 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Minimal respiratory conditions with some water discolouration says my FB feed. But Rod & Reel area sounds awful.

I guess you pay your money, you takes your choice.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
bettycat
slightly serious Dibber

I have to be honest as we were there exactly a week ago and it was very much evident. We could not believe it was the same place as we had visited in 2016. The sea is so murky and on my morning walk there were large numbers of dead fish all along the shoreline, truly devastating to see. The odour is strong and we all had tickle coughs, the children could not go in the sea. We drove to Clearwater and left AMI after two nights. Perhaps people are having a different experience than us but I want to give an honest interpretation of the red tide. The island is very quiet too. Hope it all works out for you
bettycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
missymouse
slightly serious Dibber

I am here now and it has not gone, we have hardly used the beach all week, we have visited Clearwater and Madeira beach. We went over earlier today and there are still dead fish and the water is still murky and brown. The smell isn’t so bad and not much respiratory irritation. We have travelled up and down the island and some areas are better than others but it has definitely not gone.

Edited at 08:06 PM.
missymouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
missymouse
slightly serious Dibber

These are images of the sea today
missymouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List