Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Day 5

Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music
Day 5 ~ Dollywood and Ripley's Mini Golf

We were up at 7.30am, got dressed and ready and then had some toast and ice-cream milkshakes on the balcony. It was already much nicer weather this morning, it was quite clear and beautiful watching the smoke rise over the mountains.

We left just after 9.45am and drove to Dollywood. We entered the park and headed straight for the Thunderhead which had been closed last time, getting some photo's along the way (and this time Piggle's joined in).

Adventures of An Ex Cast-Member & Disney Virgin ~ Pre-trippie ;April-May 2008 ~ Villa, RPR, CSR (Trip Report); July/August 2006 ~ Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Miami; January 2005 ~ All Star Movies; July 1998 - I-Drive and Fort Lauderdale - 2 weeks; Trippies; Our Spooky DLP Celebration ~ Halloween 2008; Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Tennessee Adventure 2008
ariel2006 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 08, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews

We got on quite quickly and the ride was so good, it was so fast and powerful although a little bumpy. We rode again straight away and then headed to the Lumberjacks and had another go on that which was fun again.

We then went to the Mystery Mine but it was closed again and the ride attendant told us it was due to open at 12pm. We walked past the River Battle, Sophie and Nick had fun soaking people, it was like having 2 children with us.

We rode the Tennessee Tornado again which was great and then the Blazing Fury as Mum had loved it. The queue wasn’t that long but it took ages to load so we waited about 25 minutes. We did notice they took a lot longer to load the rides here, they are so much more laid back than at other theme parks. It was now nearly 12pm so we headed back to Mystery Mine but a man told us they didn’t know when or if it was going to open. We decided to walk to Miss Lillian’s Chicken House for lunch and stopped en-route to look at the reproduction of the cabin Dolly was raised in. It was tiny with 2 tiny rooms, only 1 bed and very little space, and she had 10 brothers and sisters there too.

We then went to Miss Lillian’s Chicken House. As you enter the restaurant you get a tray, at first there is a small salad bar and then there is the mains which was southern fried chicken, southern fried steak, pulled ham, corn, mash and peppered gravy. There was then apple pie, chocolate cake or custard for dessert but we decided to go back for that. We paid and were given cups for the drinks (soft drinks and coffee) and could go back to get more when we wanted. We sat outside which was also the seating for Miss Lillian’s bbq takeaway, the tables had blue and white checked table cloths and chicken wire instead of walls, it was cool.

The food was good, especially the steak, but we didn’t get to see Miss Lillian as we had hoped so there wasn’t as much atmosphere as we expected. Half way through though a country music show started on the stage just across which was quite good. For dessert I got the apple pie which was so good, the others had the same too.

Adventures of An Ex Cast-Member & Disney Virgin ~ Pre-trippie ;April-May 2008 ~ Villa, RPR, CSR (Trip Report); July/August 2006 ~ Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Miami; January 2005 ~ All Star Movies; July 1998 - I-Drive and Fort Lauderdale - 2 weeks; Trippies; Our Spooky DLP Celebration ~ Halloween 2008; Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Tennessee Adventure 2008
ariel2006 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 08, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews

Full up we walked over to the Village area, the train was due in about 40 minutes so we went on the carousel which had zebras, ostrich, cats and other unusual animals to ride.

We went to the Country Fayre area next door which was really coolly themed with old fashion fairground rides, stalls and decorations . We rode the Sky Rider first which were seats of 2 that rose in the air and went in a circle. It was very good and there was a nice cool breeze up there and quite a good view too.

We then went back to the train, which was an original steam train. The journey was nice, we got to learn about the train and its history and it went into the foothills of the mountains. There were also some figures and houses set up along the way to look at.

Some of the train scenery

After the train we went back to the Country Fayre, Mum and Sophie went on the Sky Rider and the they had 2 goes on the Dodgems whilst Nick and I sat on a bench and watched. We went on one of the stalls and Nick won me a really cute cuddly cow. We went over to Smoky River Rampage next, it was a great ride again but I got soaked, which wasn’t so great.
We then ran over to the Heartsong Theatre and watched Heartsong with some fresh popcorn from the Kettle Korn place. It was so delicious, all buttery and sweet. Heartsong was about the mountains and Dolly’s take on it and life there. It was narrated by her and set a theatre with leaves and waterfalls all around it was so pretty. During the film there was rain and dancing butterflies and a man playing the banjo, it was good and nice to see about Southern life. We then went over to Daredevil Falls but it wasn’t working so the others went on Slidewinder whilst Nick and I got a cold coffee and went in the shop. After waiting forever for them to join us they then had to do some shopping, by which time I was so wet and cold. We went to Dolly’s bus but it was closed and then we had to wait for Dad who was searching the park for his lost glasses, he always loses something, usually a pair of glasses.

We then left the park, we had had 2 lovely days there, the park was great. They have some great rides and shows, lovely, friendly staff, a lovely laid, back, charming atmosphere and a beautiful mountain setting.
Some more Dollywood pictures

Old 16 Sep 08, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews

We went back to the cabin to get dry clothes and then drove to Gatlinburg. We had originally planned to try and fit the helicopter ride in today. It had been a lovely, clear morning, perfect for the ride, but by the time we left Dollywood it was raining and grey again, so we decided to go to Gatlinburg. We stopped at Ripley’s Davy Crockett mini golf and played 18 holes on the Fort Crockett course. We had great fun, it was Sophie’s first time and she loved it. We all got holes in one, I even got 2 and Sophie won a free game on the last hole which was great. The course was themed with singing beavers, bears and turtles and a fort with smoking canons and had some really good holes.

Old 16 Sep 08, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews

It kind of rained on and off but wasn’t too bad, and it was lovely being surrounded by the mountains as we played.
We then drove to Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant but couldn’t find it so after a while of searching for it we went to a restaurant called Park Grill that we passed on the road. It was all made of wood and inside had bears and beavers and was really nicely done.

We ordered some drinks, Mum and I had top shelf frozen mango margaritas which were so good. Then we helped ourselves to the salad bar which was included, they had a good selection including Caesar salad, bacon bits, coleslaw, potato salad, mozzarella, anchovies and more. We then ordered and it wasn’t too long before our food came. Sophie and I went in the shops whilst we waited, it was a lovely little crafty shop and I brought some cute wooden bear figurines.

When we got back our tea was there, Mum had the pecan crusted chicken with vegetable skewer, Dad had Moonshine chicken with fries, Nick had the bbq ribs with sweet potato casserole and I had the 7oz filet with loaded baked potato (you could chose one side with your main). My steak was so good, so tender and tasty and so was Nicks sweet potato, it was all very nice. I squeezed in a Jack Daniels creme brulee as I can’t resist if they have crème brulee on the menu. It was so good and Nick a cappuccino too.

Then we drove back to the cabin. Us girls went in the hot tub and discussed our upcoming DLP trip under the gorgeous clear, starry sky. The boys played pool again, 3 nights to nick, 1 to Paul. Then we watched some MIB and then it was time for bed

Old 16 Sep 08, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

:)

Lovely day, some great pics aswell

Jodie
Old 16 Sep 08, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Another wonderful day! Dollywood looks great!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 08, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Dollywood looks and sounds such a nice place to visit. Love the pics of the mini golf course. Enjoying your reports. Must put the Smokey Mountains on my wish list of places to visit.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 08, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Another lovely day Sammie with fantastic photos.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 08, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

Piggles looks like hes having a great time !
Great day for you all and all the food and drink looks delish

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List